Sacre Bleu Cheese - 'Nother 9 Bit Single

• 4 weeks later...

I love this track. My favorite part is around 1:45 when it all comes together.

I wish I was more experienced so I could give meaningful and constructive feedback. But for now I can only offer my inexperienced opinions.

Personal taste stuff:

-2:23 where it goes funky, maybe play around with adding crashes when it lands on the beat. I feel it goes off the beat a little too much but again it's a taste thing.

-2:42 another taste thing, nice drop but I don't like the coin chime-y sounds :-/

Keep it up. Nice double beat.

I love this track. My favorite part is around 1:45 when it all comes together.

I wish I was more experienced so I could give meaningful and constructive feedback. But for now I can only offer my inexperienced opinions.

Personal taste stuff:

-2:23 where it goes funky, maybe play around with adding crashes when it lands on the beat. I feel it goes off the beat a little too much but again it's a taste thing.

-2:42 another taste thing, nice drop but I don't like the coin chime-y sounds :-/

Keep it up. Nice double beat.

Hey man, no worries! Any comments are appreciated, and it's feedback all the same. Besides, this forum gets... I believe to quote zircon, "woefully low traffic," and getting any sort of comments is like pulling teeth. So hey, like I said, anything's appreciated.

Keeping a straight quarter at all the messy odd meter stuff isn't a bad idea. I'll mess around with that. The chimey things are actually samples from Link's Awakening, which is one of my favotire 8 bit OSTs. If you listen closely at the drop that follows, there's also another sound effect to make the impact more... impactful :P

Thanks again!

Your style's growing on me. Frenetic, poppy, catchy. Love the grunginess. Love the title.

I'm wondering.. though.. why you don't use more pitch bends or delay effects. That lead at 1:11 could scream with some subtle delay, an occasional pitch bend, maybe vibrato. Obviously this is all personal taste but I'm curious.

The soundscape on this one is a bit drier, but there IS a bit of subtle delay to fatten up the sound (which you can hear when the note lets off at the softer section). I also chose to keep the notes as pure sustain rather than a shitload of vibrato and stuff because of the harmonizations that happen later.

But, that being said, I do need to work on the expressiveness of my leads. Mainly the ones that are just custom waveforms plugged into the triple oscillator (which is most of what I use), because a lot of the expressiveness is really annoying to do, but I suppose I should stop being lazy haha. SO much easier with something like PoiZone (which is really the only other synth I use (because poor kid is poor), and as such am getting a pretty good grasp of it). There's still lots of portamento going on though, I just kind of wanted that melody to do its thing as is. The sustains work, especially on the harmonies

Actually, no reason. Felt like it, and now I'm rationalizing :P Glad you're digging though :D

no, yeah, it's good. it works. It's a dangerous line anyway.. you could end up with Tryhard Syndrome like me and pitch bend your pitch bends until the track actually produces cheese because it's so saturated with processing.

For chiptunes, less is probably more.

Well, the thing with chiptunes is that less actually forces you to produce more because of the limitations. Granted, I'm working in FL, so I'm not *technically* limited, but you gotta get inside the mind of a chip composer and learn how a tracker works if you want your stuff to sound authentic. It's not all about the pitch bends though; there's duty modulating on pulse waves, arpeggios, stutters, all kinds of stuff to give it that "chippy" sound