OCR02443 - Final Fantasy IV "RDX Necklace"

One of my many favourites from EOBLOR. The ebb and flow of the creepy, gritty build-ups is very enjoyable - I especially like the first half. Extremely fitting to the scene in the game. The extended bonus tracks from CotMM on the album are also quite excellent to listen to.

Not to be lazy but this is exactly how I felt about this song when first listening to Echoes years ago, and I would doubly echo the part about the extended tracks on the bonus disc, Spiraling Decay for example is really something else if you just let it sink in for the full 35 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Dark and ominous, this song oozes suspense of a disaster about to come and when it hits, it is slow and methodical - this is the hallmark of CotMM these days, making music that eats at your soul slowly but surely. The song is well-crafted and all of the elements help execute this creeping attack on the psyche.

Great job by CotMM and Jay here!

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes it's hard for me to get into ambient mixes because my mind tends to wander, but this is very well done. Creepy, dark, ominous, it just fits the scene it came from. The build-up works best for ReMixes like this one. Very nice take on Bomb Ring.

• 6 months later...

I wasn't too thrilled with this for about the first minute. I'm very much a person geared toward music that makes me want to move, so even though I do like ambient/atmospheric stuff as a genre, it doesn't always keep my interest for long.

Around 1:05 or so, however, I just suddenly got slammed by a sense of premeditated violence and malice, and that carried on to the end. The explosions really punctuated things, to the point where I experienced a brief but very intriguing sense of disorientation, perhaps as one might expect from an inhabitant of the village in question, who has abruptly found his/her world engulfed in flames—a sort of "Wait, what's going on?"

So mission accomplished, I'd say.

~LS

• 1 year later...

Well, this one is certainly weird. Actually, it took several times to find out what the heck is going on here. At first, I found it not quite fascinating and I was thinking "WTF? How could this pass the judges panel?" But every new listen made this sounding more melodic and I started to love the subtle piano licks, choir, industrial percssion, guitars blended with dark ambient textures and of course the heavy atmosphere of this one, which becomes heavier with each second. And the it suddenly explodes and drops. Wow. Super creative thing.

• 11 months later...

Another slab of haunted, distorted ambience. It moves subtly and demands attention yet it's not any more difficult than other stuff he's done. The crescendo of the whole track is madness. Guess this is the end of the CotMM catalog for now. Good stuff.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02443 - Final Fantasy IV "RDX Necklace"