Holy **** New Final Fantasy Tech Demo

Thin Crust

With a lot of really good looking games like crysis, Battlefield 3, The Last of Us, the Samaritan demo, and so on.... it really doesn't look like graphics can improve that much beyond what we have already seen. However, Square-enix has just ninja-revealed a tech demo called "Agni's Philosophy" and it looks like they are finally back on top graphically. Now, I'm really not a fan of the middle east as a game setting, and I'm not sure if I would like such a bland looking protagonist, but the Luminous engine is looking like a beast.

EDIT: Also, if you feel like giving your feedback to Square-enix about this video, there is a 5ive question survey you can fill out. (Don't even need to create an account.

https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/933/

They have to be consciously trolling the industry when they choose a quasi-modern middle east setting with AK-47 wielding terrorists for Final Fantasy.

Ahah, my thoughts exactly. Though the chara concepts were apparently done by folks at Crystal Dynamics, so that may be one of the reasons.

The shocker for me was that Robert Duncan (composer for shows like Castle and The Unit) did the music, instead of usual SE in-house musicians.

Lastly, it's interesting to note that they finally brought (what appears to be) Bahamūt back to its middle-eastern roots.

Everyone knows that Squeenix can make amazing CG, but now they need to start making amazing games again, as well.

As of late, their own productions have been a bunch of clunky, messy, dated games covered with a slick packaging.

...oh, and where the heck is the legendary vaporware Final Fantasy versus XIII? :wink:

Ahah, my thoughts exactly. Though the chara concepts were apparently done by folks at Crystal Dynamics, so that may be one of the reasons.

The shocker for me was that Robert Duncan (composer for shows like Castle and The Unit) did the music, instead of usual SE in-house musicians.

Lastly, it's interesting to note that they finally brought (what appears to be) Bahamūt back to its middle-eastern roots.

Everyone knows that Squeenix can make amazing CG, but now they need to start making amazing games again, as well.

As of late, their own productions have been a bunch of clunky, messy, dated games covered with a slick packaging.

...oh, and where the heck is the legendary vaporware Final Fantasy versus XIII? :wink:

This is in engine. Not CG.

So the video is supposed to be real-time. OK. Real-time on what?

Is that real-time on a 360, PS3, Wii U, or PC? If it's hardware specifically designed to let them do real-time rendering, then it would be outside the reach of your average consumer. It would be something they made themselves to do it, and not something that could be commercially available (or at least not cheap enough to be mass market like current consoles and gaming PCs).

There's a lot about this they just don't specify. Yeah, it might be real-time rendering, but if this can't be done on something I can actually own, then how is this supposed to be impressive?

how cool would it have been to have played as that old dude?

seriously how many videogame protagonists are elderly?

How many people would be genuinely excited at the idea of playing as an octogenarian?

This is in engine. Not CG.

Whether it's CG or in-engine, it's all moot if there's no game to support the tech. ;)

So the video is supposed to be real-time. OK. Real-time on what?

[...]If it's hardware specifically designed to let them do real-time rendering, then it would be outside the reach of your average consumer.[...]

[...]if this can't be done on something I can actually own, then how is this supposed to be impressive?

^This, exactly. That was my point.

People want actual, playable games. Enough with the tech demo carnival already (FF7 remake, FFversusXIII and now this).

You people are so spoiled. Hard to please? This isn't an actual game? "SCREW THEM!"

This is impressive no matter how you slice it. It's a game engine showing the BEST cinematics the industry has ever seen. Who cares if it's on this generation or next gen of systems. THEY ACHIEVED A LANDMARK GOAL. YES you should be excited for this, because it's where the industry is going. Tech demo or not, this should raise interest, not diminish it.

You people only see what's in front of you and pick it apart. There's no speculation, anticipation, or excitement. Pathetic.

You people are so spoiled. Hard to please? This isn't an actual game? "SCREW THEM!"

This is impressive no matter how you slice it. It's a game engine showing the BEST cinematics the industry has ever seen. Who cares if it's on this generation or next gen of systems. THEY ACHIEVED A LANDMARK GOAL. YES you should be excited for this, because it's where the industry is going. Tech demo or not, this should raise interest, not diminish it.

You people only see what's in front of you and pick it apart. There's no speculation, anticipation, or excitement. Pathetic.

lolwat.

People are picking it apart because this tech demo hasn't fixed the problem with squareenix's games. The issues they've had recently are with story, gameplay, and the like - not graphics. Hence the reason this thread isn't full of OMGGRAFICSSOKEWLOMG. The game industry doesn't NEED better graphical capabilities; yes, it's impressive, and yes, its great to see the technical leaps and bounds that game companies are making, but it's not what JRPGs (or really any other eastern game company) need to get them out of the decline they've been having over the years.

Basically what i'm saying is, If i wanted to see something pretty i'd look at art. What I want to see is a playable tech demo on the show floor that everyone can play on something that I can buy eventually.

lolwat.

People are picking it apart because this tech demo hasn't fixed the problem with squareenix's games. The issues they've had recently are with story, gameplay, and the like - not graphics. Hence the reason this thread isn't full of OMGGRAFICSSOKEWLOMG. The game industry doesn't NEED better graphical capabilities; yes, it's impressive, and yes, its great to see the technical leaps and bounds that game companies are making, but it's not what JRPGs (or really any other eastern game company) need to get them out of the decline they've been having over the years.

Basically what i'm saying is, If i wanted to see something pretty i'd look at art. What I want to see is a playable tech demo on the show floor that everyone can play on something that I can buy eventually.

I suppose it's the perspective of how we see this tech demo. I'm seeing it from the graphical triumph. If you're talking about Square-Enix quality of "gaming", I agree with you. FF13 pretty much killed the franchise for me, and their games have hit this "gameplay cheese" era. The stories suck, and the formula has been recycled too much.

Graphics wise though....holy shit.

lolwat.

THANK YOU. This pretty much sums up my feelings on all this Tech Demo stuff. It's nice looking, nobody can deny that, but this isn't going to do anyone any favors in the gameplay department if all this does is sky-rocket game development costs.

Well, gamers are spoiled these days. When you look back at how games looked 20 years ago. The thing though that I loved about the older FF games (and I think many other fans did) were the stories and gameplay. In my humble opinion since FF XII, Square Enix has failed to excite and engross me in a Final Fantasy.

Having said that, the tech demo is unbelieveably impressive and very enjoyable to watch. I always love me a bit of eye-candy!

That's actually one of the more interesting new Final Fantasy concepts I've heard in years. I may look into it despite not owning any systems that could handle it.

This. The last Final Fantasy that interested me was 10, and (prepares for angry reaction) I felt really let down by that. Nothing since has really impressed me.

But the concept for this looks good (albeit yes, AK-wielding "terrorists," but it's definitely different from standard FF fare as far as I can tell), and DAMN - those graphics. Now, if they can just deliver a fresh story, I might actually buy it. But I'll wait and see.

Until I see the hardware specs that allowed this to be done in-engine, in real-time, this may as well be pre-rendered footage.

Until then, I'm skeptical of any claims of real-time.

It's not that hard to believe. You can distinctly tell by the anti-aliasing, particle effects, shadows, hair, etc. It doesn't look "perfectly" pre-rendered, but it's still amazing.

Look at Beyond Two Souls (makers of Heavy Rain) that was announced at E3, and it's current gen on PS3.

Well, gamers are spoiled these days. When you look back at how games looked 20 years ago. The thing though that I loved about the older FF games (and I think many other fans did) were the stories and gameplay. In my humble opinion since FF XII, Square Enix has failed to excite and engross me in a Final Fantasy.

In my opinion, this is what is killing games today. With how games looked twenty years ago you had to use your imagination to fill in some of the gaps. That formed a closer connection between the player and the game. With the way cinematics have been dominating games lately it seems that games keep getting closer to being a slightly interactive movie.

In my humble opinion since FF XII, Square Enix has failed to excite and engross me in a Final Fantasy.

I don't want to bash anyone, we all have our favorite FF's but what is the big deal with FFXII? I think it was the last truly great FF game that tried something different after FF10 showed us that we could play through a JRPG by just holding forward and following the light at the end of the tunnel. Something FFXIII got slammed for later.

Anyway have you seen FFXIV 2.0? MMO of the decade. I hope.