Holy **** New Final Fantasy Tech Demo

Thin Crust

FF XII just really didn't grab my attention. The story seemed a bit thin and pushed to the background compared with previous games. The characters were also forgettable and I didn't care for the music either. Gameplay-wise, I thought it was pretty good as was the battle system. Its a game I've tried to like but just never could. I definitely see what people do like about it though.

Anywho, I digress!

Until I see the hardware specs that allowed this to be done in-engine, in real-time, this may as well be pre-rendered footage.

Until then, I'm skeptical of any claims of real-time.

I kinda agree with you. Also, it doesn't really reflect as to how the engine/hardware would cope with that level of detail if it was gameplay. I mean ultimately, its great but the whole feat of having such impressive graphics is to show what can be achieved during gameplay, not as a cutscene.

Thanks for the link to the survey!

This question from the survey is kinda sad:

"Did you feel that Agni (the heroine) was an attractive or appealing character?"

Not only did they use the word attractive but they used it first... :( Frankly I could give two shits wether or not a video game character is attractive. Rather the character to be endearing and interesting. Or relatable in some sense. :/

You people are so spoiled. Hard to please? This isn't an actual game? "SCREW THEM!"

This is impressive no matter how you slice it. It's a game engine showing the BEST cinematics the industry has ever seen. Who cares if it's on this generation or next gen of systems. THEY ACHIEVED A LANDMARK GOAL. YES you should be excited for this, because it's where the industry is going. Tech demo or not, this should raise interest, not diminish it.

You people only see what's in front of you and pick it apart. There's no speculation, anticipation, or excitement. Pathetic.

My first reaction was holy shit those graphics are incredible, well done for staying ahead of the curve yet again.

My second reaction was that they maybe haven't learnt their lesson from FFXIII, which is that you can make all the beautiful landscapes you like but you won't make me care until you have a good story to fill it with. I couldn't name you a single NPC with any significance in the story from FFXIII. I could probably name you 30-40 and give you a character description for each from most of the other FF titles.

My first reaction was holy shit those graphics are incredible, well done for staying ahead of the curve yet again.

My second reaction was that they maybe haven't learnt their lesson from FFXIII, which is that you can make all the beautiful landscapes you like but you won't make me care until you have a good story to fill it with. I couldn't name you a single NPC with any significance in the story from FFXIII. I could probably name you 30-40 and give you a character description for each from most of the other FF titles.

This. Although they seem to have departed far enough from their usual environs with this demo that I'm willing to be passively optimistic that this is a return to form for them. Which makes sense in my head, but now that I'm reading it, not so much.... :whatevaa:

Square is apperantly filled with people who wants to be movie directors. The problem is that they aint very good at that, and thats not what WE want.

The reason their games suck is the same reason why they wont make a remake of FF7 (not that I want them to) - they dont want to make vast, explorable worlds anymore.

I suppose it's the perspective of how we see this tech demo. I'm seeing it from the graphical triumph. If you're talking about Square-Enix quality of "gaming", I agree with you. FF13 pretty much killed the franchise for me, and their games have hit this "gameplay cheese" era. The stories suck, and the formula has been recycled too much.

Graphics wise though....holy shit.

I think what Square needs to do now is step back into their classic squaresoft shoes. They have definitely learned alot from microsoft's xbox success, but now they need to come back to their roots. Can you imagine if sony got their gameplay back with the graphics they have achieved? I think the biggest mistake that pretty much every company is commiting is that they are trying to be like microsoft. Now I will give them this, they are making sickening amounts of money. However over time people are now buying games as admiration for the graphics, not the gameplay or storyline (not saying that there are not games that have amazing gameplay or great storyline, but they are few and far between as compared to the older gen where the horrible games were few and far between). Classic example, the nintendo Wii. Its pretty much a monumental step foward in the commercial technology sense, but as a nintendo system?.....its pretty much garbage. I love how they sell the whole "buy the old games on the Wii". 20 bucks for super mario world!? I can understand 20 dollars for the actual cartridge. I could understand 40 dollars. I just recently bought the original cartridge for Final Fantasy VI (in america III) and that costed me 35 dollars(used). To me, thats well justified but for the data? There are flash game designers making games like these now, and not bad games either. Hardcore gamers have been playing emulators and every game they couldn't find from old gen for the past umpteen years. Especially after they stopped making games here in the US. So to stop myself before I go on a tangit, I pretty much agree with you. Graphics wise, its like watching a movie. But once the game actually starts, its a joke. Its the same mistake that Sega CD had, great to look at but horrible to play. Personally I think in pretty much every medium today, its the indie community's time to shine. They have the best ideas, just not all the resources.

My favorite games this generation have been Xbox Live Arcade games. They're not graphically intensive, they're not 80+ hour megaquestingOMG. They're just solid, fun games that the developers obviously spent more time developing the actual gameplay and level design than the hairs on the back of the main character's neck. Square-Enix has taken almost every franchise (except Dragon Quest) from both companies and either killed it or turned it into complete crap and the original IP's have been even worse.

I'm not going to say graphics are not important because visual fidelity is always something that can improve a game, but when you are sacrificing the actual game content for a prettier cutscene, you're doing it wrong. Personally, a major blow to a game (ESPECIALLY a game demo) is to clog up the beginning with a bunch of opening cutscenes and exposition. I don't want to watch a movie, I want to play the damn game. Stop making movies, and make a fucking video game.

I think what Square needs to do now is step back into their classic squaresoft shoes.
Square-Enix has taken almost every franchise (except Dragon Quest) from both companies and either killed it or turned it into complete crap.

[...]I don't want to watch a movie, I want to play the damn game. Stop making movies, and make a fucking video game.

Amen to that. Tired of being expected to pay for a product that is inferior to anything either Square or Enix could come up with, 15 years ago.

SquareEnix is no Squaresoft. They're not leading anymore. They publish other companies' games and re-hash their IPs to make quick bucks (iOS ports).

SE's most enjoyable/promising titles in recent years are/have been imho from external or acquired studios (Avalanche, Eidos, Crystal Dynamics).

Now, by no means do I want them to kill their franchises ...well, they are already doing a tremendous job at that by themselves.

It's just that when I think of all the amazing IP that are rotting away inside a closet at SquareEnix, I feel sick. See for yourself:

Vagrant Story, Front Mission, Brave Fencer Musashi, Sōkaigi, Dewprism, Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure Hunter G, Rudra no Hihō, Einhander.

Heck, even the freaking Chrono saga. Who here wouldn't love to finally get their hands on the fabled Chrono Break?

It seems very likely that SE still hasn't digested the box office flop of The Spirits Within in 2001, and are hellbent on proving they can make movies.

Meanwhile they serve their customers some reheated dishes, and expected them to finance their little film venture/hobby/mania. That's preposterous.

For those who crave the spirit of Square, former staff from the Xeno/Chrono serie (including Mitsuda) worked on many jRPG jewels at Monolith Soft.

Just to name a few of their criminally overshadowed/under-appreciated creations: Baten Kaitos, Soma Bringer and ...Xenoblade Chronicles. Yep.

This is as close to made-in-Squaresoft as it's gonna get in this day and age. :wink:

No mention of another Bushido Blade?

Square Enix isn't all bad. The merging did give Star Ocean the boost it needed, then killed it...

I'm a little confused why so many are bashing SE's cinematic shennanigans when the entire game industry is steadily moving in that direction. I liked being able to watch a short clip after trying like hell to make it that far in the game. Now it's getting ridiculous.

Square fell when the Japanese lost most of the entire market within a few years. Now they are trying to be influenced by what western game makers are doing which could be a serious gamble. I'm hoping they pull it off and come out on top again.

"Copy it and make it better" -Old Japanese Proverb

Vagrant Story

Vagrant Story was a game set in Ivalice, so technically they have been working on games for that universe, just not within the same timeline or with any big references to VS or FFT. The most you get is a vague mention or a monster name. Kind of sad considering how they want to retcon other things yet ignore a universe they keep reusing.

This trailer looks good and all ( I know it not an actual game), but I just want them to work on a new Tactics game. The graphics could just be high-res sprites like Disgaea 4. Actually, I don't really care what it looks like at this point. I just wish Square would put some effort into a fantasy based(knights and black mages) Tactics game. Honestly, it could have the same job system and skills as the original, just a new storyline and characters and I would be really satisfied. I sound like the type of fanboy that's killing the videogame industry, but I honestly don't care about Final Fantasy anymore. However, I would like that to change. The easiest way to do that would be a new mainline Tactics game (didn't care for the GBA or DS iterations.)

Vagrant Story was a game set in Ivalice, so technically they have been working on games for that universe, just not within the same timeline or with any big references to VS or FFT. The most you get is a vague mention or a monster name. Kind of sad considering how they want to retcon other things yet ignore a universe they keep reusing.

Especially since both Vagrant Story and Tactics were outstanding games with great story lines and amazing music.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. And I've enjoyed many Ivalice Alliance games (mostly due to Sakimoto's scores).

But here is the funny thing: Vagrant Story wasn't supposed to be set in Ivalice. :wink:

Also, SE had another open world fantasy game in the works: Fortress. Another (not so) funny story.

looks very awesome and i am very excite about how games are starting to look

I agree, they do look absolutely amazing. Its just the playability or even the fun factor of the games is suffering. I would use final fantasy as an example: If one could play a Final Fantasy where the gameplay and story were as good as VI, but with the graphics of XIII. Another good but past example would be when Sonic Adventure hit Dreamcast. The controls were fantastic, the game was amazingly fun even though there were many random embellishments throughout the game. Then look at Sonic on xbox.........pretty much unplayable. And I won't even mention the Sonic ring disaster. I think the problem is that they have the best visual effect artists but the rest of the crew is going on strike.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. And I've enjoyed many Ivalice Alliance games (mostly due to Sakimoto's scores).

But here is the funny thing: Vagrant Story wasn't supposed to be set in Ivalice. :wink:

Also, SE had another open world fantasy game in the works: Fortress. Another (not so) funny story.

I'm glad it is part of Ivalice, even if that wasn't the intent. It's a much nicer retcon instead of that FFX/FF7 bullshit. THE AL BHED PISSED OFF THE CETRA AND RUINED THE PLANET AFTER CRASH LANDING THERE WHEEE~~~

That second link is probably a fake story, or at least partially fabricated. First off it's Kotaku, who is known to jump on a story without validating it (the Fox News of video game reporting), and secondly the source comes from a swedish tabloid.

I think the problem is that they have the best visual effect artists but the rest of the crew is going on strike.
Ahah, true. With the exception of in-house composers (Hamauzu, Yamazaki, Suzuki) still making soundtracks worth listening to. ;)
That second link is probably a fake story, or at least partially fabricated. First off it's Kotaku, who is known to jump on a story without validating it (the Fox News of video game reporting), and secondly the source comes from a swedish tabloid.

Yeah, judging from the comments there you might be right about this. Then again, never doubt SE's ability to pull off gravity-defying stunts. ;P

In X-2 a kid named Shinra has an optional scene where he discusses harnessing the power of the Farplane for energy. It implies a connection between VII and X-2 to some degree.

Of course most people ignore it because it's irrelevant and silly.