Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

Global-Trance

I'd forgotten about the animated short. It WAS nice : ) . It was also nice to see non-anime, yet classy looking animation.

I didn't see "Aerith Lives", but "Sheng Long Was Here" about had me tear my wife's arm off with excitement.

Wreck it Ralph, with all the videogame and pop culture references, easter eggs and inside jokes aside, just felt... lacking. Predictable. Formulaic. The same basic story I've seen a million times. The same cake with just a thin layer of different frosting on it.

Ditto, though nostalgia trumped reason (but I still found it yummy).

Just saw it today. Fantastic movie. Just enough video game references without going overboard. Street Fighter got a lot of cameo love though! A tiny bit too much Sugar Rush but it worked out just fine I think. I'm a bit iffy about Vanellope still being a glitch after she was able to fix herself after crossing the line, but I'll give it a pass as a nod to gamers loving glitches in general.

Also big ups and shoutouts to the Pac-Man kill screen nod after the credits.

Gonna go see it tomorrow with the wife for our first "married date" - excited to finally be seeing it.

Funny coincidence. Was me and my wifey's first married date, too. Hitched October 20th. :)

I was very happy with it. I am more then certain that my nostalgia glasses caused me to enjoy it about 100 times more.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I can tell there was a lot of time spent on refining the plot elements. Even now I'm recalling little touches of foreshadowing disguised as subversive humor. For example someone points out that the King really seems to like pink, which comes off as a joke about his effeminateness at first, but later ties into the fact that the castle was never his domain in the first place.

Start playing this then read the hidden text.

Ralph dives into the Mentos creating a beacon that destroys all the cybugs. He lands in the Diet Lava swamp and burns to death. Fix it Felix Jr. arrives at Ralph's corpse and begins hitting it with his hammer, shouting "I can fix it! I CAN FIX IT! WHY CAN'T I FIX IT!" during which Coldplay's "Fix You" begins playing. Felix then fixes Sugar Rush and Vanellope crosses the finish line unenthusiastically as everyone somberly goes back to normal. Fix It Felix Jr. the game is put out of order for good and taken out of the arcade. A statue is erected in Ralph's honor at Game Central station with the word "HERO" at the base.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-bogia/wreck-it-ralph_b_2220403.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment.

I've not actually seen this movie, but I have to wonder, if true, why this is the first time I've seen anything on it from anyone, and why quite outspoken Sarah Silverman and lesbian Jane Lynch continued to record for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-bogia/wreck-it-ralph_b_2220403.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment.

I've not actually seen this movie, but I have to wonder, if true, why this is the first time I've seen anything on it from anyone, and why quite outspoken Sarah Silverman and lesbian Jane Lynch continued to record for it.

That'd be because the writer is grasping at straws, just trying to find something to be offended by. Sheesh. No reason to ruin a great movie like this with a self-righteous crusade, like that hack is doing.

What gets me is the fact that he's so worked up over the "Nelly Wafer" line. From what I've read so far, especially in this thread, Disney wanted a movie full of puns, and they couldn't use "Nilla Wafer" due to copyright issues (which I don't think Disney was really prepared to go hunting down a copyright license for a food product). Personally I think he's over-analyzing things.

Start playing this then read the hidden text.

Ralph dives into the Mentos creating a beacon that destroys all the cybugs. He lands in the Diet Lava swamp and burns to death. Fix it Felix Jr. arrives at Ralph's corpse and begins hitting it with his hammer, shouting "I can fix it! I CAN FIX IT! WHY CAN'T I FIX IT!" during which Coldplay's "Fix You" begins playing. Felix then fixes Sugar Rush and Vanellope crosses the finish line unenthusiastically as everyone somberly goes back to normal. Fix It Felix Jr. the game is put out of order for good and taken out of the arcade. A statue is erected in Ralph's honor at Game Central station with the word "HERO" at the base.

DAMNIT Brandon

The Feels

which I don't think Disney was really prepared to go hunting down a copyright license for a food product

Actually, there's probably more food licenses and references than there are video game licenses and references. After all, kids love candy.

But yeah, this is just a little bit overblown. Something tells me those involved in the movie probably didn't say anything for the same reason most of us wouldn't: they had never heard the word "nelly" used in that way before and weren't aware of the definition (I sure wasn't.)