A Sonic CD album, anyone? (Generating interest)

Rexy

So, after playing through Sonic CD on Steam - so much that I got all the accomplishments and all my times in the top 100 on the PC version - it made me think about how much the sountracks for both releases had accomplished on a technical front, while at the same time there's been so little love in general for the game's scores.

Amusingly so, Sonic CD was jokingly mentioned near the end of development for The Sound of Speed, thanks to GaMeBoX cameoing a song from the Japanese score into the game and the game suddenly being brought into conversation. So it's only a matter of time before it could be considered brought up here, especially now since a wider audience has been able to play it for the 20th Annversary.

And in addition, there's been no coverage for the USA score, while there's been some for the Japanese score but not since 2003 not counting 'Subsonic Sparkle'. So I can see potential with this.

What do you think - should a Sonic CD album go ahead? And if it does, then who's keen enough to co-direct it with me? :D

This is merely in to gather interest so far. If I do consider this seriously, it would probably be a few days after Sonic Zone comes to a close. So go on, don't shy away :)

I'm in! Spencer's work must be defended. Or, Represented, as the situation may warrant.

Really, I usually go JP with just about anything when given the option. The only exceptions are the first Dominion Tank Police (the music was waaaaay off) and Sonic CD.

Is there a certain style we would need to have in mind for the album?

To answer the questions, I'm definitely in to support both soundtracks. We've had differing experiences on being raised on either the original Japanese score or Spencer Nielsen's new score for the American audiences; and so I can pretty much see them fit.

In regards to tracks, I can already see what should be considered to take up:

• The three vocal songs (Sonic Boom / You Can Do Anything / Cosmic Eternity ~ Believe in Yourself)
  • The present variations on all 7 stage themes in both versions (14 songs); though if anyone wants to do any of the Good / Bad Future tracks in addition if they sound really different enough (or even Past in the case of Tidal Tempest, Quartz, Quadrant, Wacky Workbench and Metalic Madness), then I'm cool with that
  • Special Stage in both versions
  • Boss stage in both versions (though, to be fair the US version would be considered hard to do :P)
  • Only the Japanese versions of Little Planet and the final boss (the US equivalents are remixes of Sonic Boom and the regular boss theme respectively)

That's already enough to cover 2 disks as it is minus extensions. So I am pretty sure we can cover at least 20 of these and have something cohesive, providing we don't pull a Back in Blue and take out the equivalent of Concrete Man (!!!).

In regards to style, that would be a tricky one; in comparison to the Genesis games they were already different enough from the Mega Drive releases at the time (Sonic 1 and 2). But ideally, I'd want there to be a sense of energy at least, i.e. keeping the chilled songs to a minimum. Outside from there, I'm cool with a very open direction from the people that are there.

Additionally, I'd also suggest that Sonic Boom, You Can Do Anything and Cosmic Eternity retain the lyrics. We had the vocals cut out of the Japanese vocal tracks in the Steam version, and to me it just felt... odd :razz:

And no Meteo, I'm not going to abandon this one. We can discuss this elsewhere, but now's not the time xD

Either way, hopefully you'd get my geist on what I'm going for here. Any further questions on top of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, me and DCT were throwing around the idea of doing a remix of 'Cosmic Eternity' .....the dude has a lot going on at the moment though so i ain't pressing him about it since it can wait. Buuuut, if he wants to pick up the concept again and if this Sonic CD remix album idea does go through then i guess you can consider me interested and in some ways on board, yes :)

We're getting things figured out, and we might be getting new members, but me and trumpeteer Mike are researching good ska recording and practicing non-stop! Also my singer/guitarist Steven loves Sonic Boom with an undying grace.

We've been going back and forth about what our next song would be (it was either going to be Bob-Omb Battlefield or Magnet Man), but I think this would be a great chance to do some fun songs!

• 2 weeks later...

JUST NOTICED THIS THREAD YES

And yeah I was going to say there is already a thread for this, but it looks like this has been reconciled below.

In fact, I was going to propose directing a Sonic CD album myself after the SZRC ended, because I noticed the lack of Sonic CD love. So I would be interested in contributing a song(s) and possibly co-directing, because I don't want to start up a proposal for a project if there are already two other people interested in directing one.

As for which songs to cover, I was going to propose covering both soundtracks, but only from the standpoint if there were people that wanted to do both. For example, if all the JP tracks get picked, but only half the US tracks, then fine, I wouldn't hold up the album for songs that don't want to get covered. As long as there is a version of each song represented (JP or US). And future/past songs are too similar in my opinion, so I'd say if you pick a source, you can use all aspects of that source (just like I did in the SZRC). Shooting for around 20-30 songs should be plenty, cause you don't want a behemoth project on your hands.

We're getting things figured out, and we might be getting new members, but me and trumpeteer Mike are researching good ska recording and practicing non-stop! Also my singer/guitarist Steven loves Sonic Boom with an undying grace.

We've been going back and forth about what our next song would be (it was either going to be Bob-Omb Battlefield or Magnet Man), but I think this would be a great chance to do some fun songs!

I'd be up for helping out your band if you guys need a hand with anything sequencing/DAW related :grin: