A Sonic CD album, anyone? (Generating interest)

Rexy

BIG FU**KING HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! har har.

But he's already hard at work on directing the Zero Wing Metal Album Project.

:-P

=(

Can't a few of us just form a small group then, I'd be interested in the management front, but I wouldn't want to be the leader, after several attempts of trying to get a Legend of Dragoon project going, I'm all but burnt out from trying to host a project. :banghead:

Hey everybody, good news: I talked with Bev the other day and due to her other commitments, I've decided to go ahead and direct the project!

I'm out right now, but I promise I'll post more details over the weekend about assembling staff and the album vision. Exciting!

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing what happens with this project.

Hey everybody, good news: I talked with Bev the other day and due to her other commitments, I've decided to go ahead and direct the project!

I'm out right now, but I promise I'll post more details over the weekend about assembling staff and the album vision. Exciting!

Hooray! I already know you'll be a good director based upon the SZRC. Can't wait to see how this all turns out!

OK so here's some additional info: As I mentioned below, I'm going to move forward as director of the project. As for the theme/vision of the album, it will be very similar to what Rexy described in this thread earlier. I want to cover both the JP/EU and US soundtracks (think something like East Meets West) and keep a similar high-energy feel of the original soundtracks. Sonic CD was quite distinct from other Sonic soundtracks as is, so I want to capitalize on the uniqueness of the soundtracks, but also allow the artists to bring there own take to it. The best example I can think of is halc's The Sound of Speed. It was like a Sonic Soundtrack 2.0, it was a single cohesive album that felt very much like a Sonic soundtrack and had superb quality songs. With that said, I have two goals for the album:

• Create an amazing album that will pay tribute to the Sonic CD soundtracks
  • Have the project be an official OCR release, meaning the album will need to be of the superb quality of other OCR releases

I have some ideas on how we'll achieve this, which I'll outline later. For now I'm assembling staff for the project. I have a few roles that I'm filling:

• Co-/assistant director: assist with administration duties, album direction, meeting deadlines, etc. I may or may have a co-director at this time, we'll see.
  • Talent evaluators: team of 3-5 people that will solely assist with providing feedback on WIPs and helping with arrangement & production. They'll help ensure our songs will meet the standards needed for OCR release. Ideally these people will be other posted remixers and/or people who have proven that they can give solid constructive feedback. Most likely these will be remixers on the album as well.

After I've finalized the staff, I'll start up my own project thread with all the complete details and open up the project for track claims. I anticipate this being in the next week or two. I'm incredibly excited to get this started and to work with everyone to pay tribute to the last great 16-bit era Sonic game yet to be tackled by OCR!

Alright, I wouldn't mind helping out with the lesser management jobs if you need ppl. And of course, you can count on me doing a track or 2 for the project =D

As always, I'm willing to offer any advice and my ears (which are not the greatest) for assistance.

Awesome, thanks I appreciate it! I've read up on all the project guidelines in the sticky, but I'm sure I'll have questions along the way since I've never attempted a project before. I imagine between you and Rexy, any advice would be a great help.

That sounds rad.

My idea is to make the hole in Metal Sonic's stomach a speaker.

I was thinking about this and had an idea for the direction of the album. Since Sonic CD was based around rivalry and contained two OST's that could be remixed why not assign Sonic to one (JP/US) and Metal Sonic to the other? The difference would be that the Sonic designated side would contain organic sounding remixes while the Metal Sonic side would contain more electronic/artificial sounding remixes. Increases diversity in the album, increases appeal and gives more opportunity to the remixers.

Of course the album cover should reflect this if The Boss decides to do something similar. Maybe Metal Sonic behind turntables with a speaker in his gut and Sonic bashing him over the head with a guitar. :razz: That might be loosely interpreted as an attack on DJ's, but that would only be because it is.

(just kidding, nothing but love for DJP and those like him)

Just a thought.

I was thinking about this and had an idea for the direction of the album. Since Sonic CD was based around rivalry and contained two OST's that could be remixed why not assign Sonic to one (JP/US) and Metal Sonic to the other? The difference would be that the Sonic designated side would contain organic sounding remixes while the Metal Sonic side would contain more electronic/artificial sounding remixes. Increases diversity in the album, increases appeal and gives more opportunity to the remixers.

Of course the album cover should reflect this if The Boss decides to do something similar. Maybe Metal Sonic behind turntables with a speaker in his gut and Sonic bashing him over the head with a guitar. :razz: That might be loosely interpreted as an attack on DJ's, but that would only be because it is.

Just a thought.

That seems like a really good idea. Again The Boss would have to approve but the two original soundtracks already have that kind of feel to it, with the JP being a hell of lot of more "techno" and the US being pretty "organic" (I don't mean acoustic, I mean more "real" type instruments), at least on the surface.

EDIT: Did you know that Spencer Nilsen had less than a month to compose the US version of the soundtrack? http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD

Just a thought.

Honestly, that's a really good idea.

I like that I'm being called The Boss now. Hopefully Bruce Springsteen won't mind.

Hmmm.... that is an interesting idea. I was already planning on having themed discs (Metal Sonic for JP/EU and Sonic for US, cause I thought their characteristics matched the styles of the soundtracks nicely), but I hadn't been thinking about themes of the actual music too. The only thing I'd be worried about is putting restrictions on what people can create for each disc. I think those themes may come out naturally given the soundtracks anyway (JP/EU a little more electronic based, US a little more organic). I would like each disc to feel cohesive, so I may just recommend that be the feel for each disc, but I'm cautious about requiring that be the feel for each track on the disc. I like it though.

In other news, I think I'm going to open up the official thread tomorrow with all the details and open it up for claims. I have most of the staff assembled and things are looking really exciting. I got a lot of people interested as well. Speaking of interest, I've had quite a few people interested in doing the vocal tracks and since technically there were only one version of each, I was thinking (if there was enough interest) to have "alternate" remixes (that is, remixes that are in a completely different style as the originals) on the US disc. So there'd be two versions of those overall as well. We'll see.

I'm really interested in helping and contributing a track...but, would I be able to collaborate with someone on it? I think I can make a decent remix, but not necessarily up to OC standard on my own.

I don't see why not. Collaboration is really going to be one of the things I stress on this project. We had so much collaboration in the SZRC compo and I think it really benefited from it.

I've said this in page 4 of this topic and I'll say it again.

I like this idea alot. It would be nice to see this game get some more love. If I recall in the Sound of Speed topic, I believe AkumajoBelmont suggested that we should call it Sonic CD: East vs. West.

Considering the fact that this game had 2 soundtracks, I for one second that name.

I've said this in page 4 of this topic and I'll say it again.

Agreed. My working title (if we don't come up with something better) will be East Meets West: A Sonic CD Tribute Project. East Meets West or East vs. West is pretty much the same thing, but I like the idea of east meets west a bit more, as in two separate soundtracks are coming together for the project, instead of east versus west, which implies that the soundtracks are somehow "facing off" against one another and that one will win. If that makes any sense.