*NO* Battle of Olympus 'Music from Elis'

djpretzel

Remixer Name: Kriko

Game Remixed: Battle of Olympus (NES)

Song Remixed: Theme

Allright, here’s another remix of a song from the nintendo game Battle of Olympus.

It is my second remix of a Battle of Olympus song, a game i really like. The creators really succeeded in creating this special ancient Greece feeling especially with the fantastic music and it’s very hard to recreate this. So this is more of a soft version of the intro theme.

It’s made with Renoise with a simple collection of samples. Some of them have i recorded myself (the bass for example). I didn’t want to make a flashy tune with a lot of stereoeffects, fill-ins etc (however there are some but quite simple ones) so this is a simple, more of a harmonic song with no more than four melodic instruments (Lead, Harp, Bass and Piano) and this makes it quite soft.

Here is link to the song. Scroll down the site and press “free” and wait 20 seconds then it will appear. Sorry for this.

My email: dea138@hotmail.com

Thank you.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/olympus.zip - Track 14

When I heard the intro, I initially thought "Sweeeet!" Sounds sampled/influenced from track 21 of the NSF. After that we opened up with an NES-esque lead with the harp at :03. Beats faded in starting at :21. Aight, I'm feeling the intro. Maybe this is going somewhere good... [waits] OK, so the good part didn't actually happen.

The potential for goodness was indeed there, until those very tame beats and bassline came in at :38, along with those boring hi-hats. The piano and the harp were mechanically sequenced, but decent. The energy level was so low thanks to these repetitive and unenergetic support instrumentation ideas.

Ultimately, the depth of sound that's needed for something like this just isn't there. You need to beef up your other sounds and have more going on in general in order to properly complement this monophonic lead. On top of that, the arrangement itself needs to be a lot more unique and inspired. Basically just heard a slowing of the tempo and a key change. Not an awful track though. Get more creative with the melodic content. Hang in the ReMixing & Works forums to develop your skills and get a better idea of how to make a solid track.

NO

The way this remix opened did give a feel that there were good things to come. The way the beat comes in is pretty cool too. The beat from 0:38 is a little quiet, and the snare hits sound a little basic. The whiney lo-fi synth from the beginning comes back in around 1:16. After the build-up, I would have expected something a little more pleasant to listen to, in order to compliment the piano pretty mellow background you have going.

The mix is pretty quiet overall. You need to beef up the beats just a tad and offer more break sections so they're not so repetative. Kill that whiney lead-sample and bring in a more pleasant instrument to listen to. Sequence some guitar, put in a flute, try a sax, anything but that thing. The piano was nice to listen to as a backing, nothing needs changing there.

The arrangement of the source could use a little more creativity. Since this is pretty much a workaround of the melody, using the same style sample for the lead as the original source used. Bringing in a different instrument and fiddling around with the lead to add some original takes on the theme would fix this up no problem.

I could see this piece being much more enjoyable to listen to if these things were taken care of. It's one of the better mixes, and I'd love to see it resubmitted.

NO. Resubmit.

Has there been some kind of windfall lately? There's a bunch of Battle of Olympus mixes lately. :)

The synth lead rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think it works in this context. It's also sharp, piercing. I think you could reconsider the lead next time.

I think some of the arrangement ideas here are actually good. Some of the harmonic and bass line had a good deal of interesting expansion. I'd like to hear you rework and expand the arrangement a bitmore. The melody for example could use more.

The production is average. Can renoise use soundfonts? There are some good ones available. Check our remixing forum to see if other renoise users can help you in this area. It's a product I'm not familiar with. I think better samples would help here. Also you put too much reverb on everything. Low quality reverb too, I'm afraid. Everything sounds blanketed in mud. The reverb design sounds basic. I'd like to hear this addressed. Some eq work is in order here as well. Rolling off some of the mids slightly and boosting the treble before it goes to the reverb or delay (if this is possible in renoise) would help.

Your bass could be a bit stronger too. I thought it sounded really light and weak.

I should note, the section at 1:55-2:15 and right before the 3 minute mark was beautiful. This is really promising. Please consider working on this more for a resubmission.

NO, resub.