Next Super Smash Bros. being co-developed by Namco Bandai

Seems that he's just leading the development team at Namco-Bandai, along with Higuchi. Sakurai's still overseeing the entire project. He's the head honcho. The big cheese. The main man.

And my bad, it wasn't Reggie. It was Nate Bihldorff.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/06-21-2012

Around the 7-minute mark.

Anyway, I'm pumped.

I like Brawl better than Melee.

Same, though the pace of Melee was much better for me.

I actually don't think there will be too many additions from the Namco pool of characters. Pac Man was never really prominent on Nintendo consoles (to my knowledge), and they probably won't include any one from Tekken for its violence. The only reason Snake is on there is cause Sakurai and Kojima are best buddies.

It's my understanding that more of O-Clocked is against than for Brawl, but I honestly thought that as flawed as the selection of stages was, that Melee's maps were inferior. Because Pac-Man is just a yellow 3/4 spheroid that would require more creativity for a moveset than he's worth, and because Tekken and Soul Calibur are graphic and are already fighting games, I support the 4th most well-known Namco franchise, Tales Of for Smash 4. Hey, the Tales Of series got a ReMix album in the form of Summoning of Spirits back in winter 2009, so if anything, the hero of Tales of Symphonia should be right up our alley!

Too bad he's not in any other fighting games...

pac-man-in-street-fighter-x-tekken.jpg

Having never played Street Fighter X Tekken, I just looked him up. I can't decide if already being in a crossover fighting game where neither side is strictly Nintendo characters should make me more comfortable or less with adding the 3rd-party character in question to Smash. My senses say I should be more comfortable because it's fighting game experience, and my intuition says I should be less comfortable because it's overdoing a character. My intuition also tells me that when in doubt, a human or humanoid should be selected over a circular character.

I always thought Smash should be about classic characters with a history on Nintendo systems, so Pac-Man would be perfectly fine. I remember playing at least three Pac-Man games on the NES alone.

(Same went for Snake: if you look at old Nintendo Power magazines, Metal Gear regularly showed up on the NES charts, and at one point hit the No. 3 spot. It was a pretty well known and popular game, on the same level as Castlevania or Mega Man. Sonic, however, had no business being on the roster.)

So as for other Namco characters, I'm thinking of looking to games more like Tower of Druaga or Dig Dug first rather than Tekken or the Tales series.

Sonic frequented Nintendo consoles since the GCN days.

Ehhh, that's just a little too recent for me, only one generation before the Wii. But I know that the whole "Mario VS Sonic" was too much of a big selling point for them to pass it up, so I don't really blame them for doing it.