Your video game comfort music

So, after having a bad day a few weeks ago, I needed some comforting music to calm me down. I found the most effective comfort music to be the soundtrack to Final Fantasy IV. FF4 evokes a lot of good feelings for me due to the associations with childhood and for it being one of the first games where I really paid attention to the music. I was curious what video game music other people turn to on the not so great days and why you think it works as your comfort music.

For me, almost anything by Uematsu, Mitsuda, or the soundtrack from Final Fantasy Tactics will do it. Legend of Dragoon, sometimes, is also not a bad choice.

It also depends on if I'm just feeling low and want comfort, or if I'm wanting something to snap myself out of the funk I'm in; Tactics and FF7, for example, are more of a "I want to be comforted and also inspired to snap out of this" kind of comfort for me, whereas if I'm just generally down and want to forget my troubles for a while, FF6, Chrono Trigger, LoD or FF9'll do it for me.

The World of Warcraft soundtrack (Vanilla and BC's specifically) do nicely for me.

I found Chrono Triggers soundtrack to be very comforting, as I was in Indiana working a job, and I didn't bring my mp3 player for whatever reason, so I only had my DS with me. So every day after those long 15-17 hour shifts I'd listen and eventually sleep to the Chrono Trigger DS music box. This is probably how I grew attached to the soundtrack after only a week.

And two other series I can think of: Animal Crossing and Metroid.

Angel Flavors Present from Katamari gives me chills most of the time. The Earthbound soundtrack -- not to mention the game in general -- is extremely uplifting. Insert Rupee's Great Job remix always does the trick, too.

Gotta second Calum's suggestions, too, especially any of the Animal Crossing soundtracks. The melodies have that nice nostalgic quality to them.

Yarrrrr, forgot a few. Ape Escape has an amazing sort of ephemeral liquid dnb soundtrack. The Mammoth Cave track reminds me of DKC music but better. You heard me.

Braid's soundtrack is amazing for relaxation and thinkin' time. It's a really warm strings-based Celtic-inspired sort of thing, lots of nice fiddle work and such. Hell of a game, too. The story is quite evocative.

Anamanaguchi will make anyone instantly happy, although I guess their stuff apart from the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack isn't technically VGM, but it might as well be. On that note, Disasterpeace's VGM soundtracks are all excellent and generally pretty uplifting or pensive. He even made a procedural music generation game that pumps out some fantastic melodic ambience and is very relaxing to play.

For me it's the Minecraft soundtrack, extending to C418's work in general. Looking at my playlist it seems I've listened to the entire album at least 50 times. I put it on while I'm translating. It helps me concentrate for some reason and relaxes me as well. Usually I can't concentrate on other things, especially writing, when I am listening to music but it's different with this soundtrack. And I ended up falling in love with the soundtrack long before I ever played the game itself. It's just great music to have on. Listening to it right now in fact.