OCR02669 - *YES* Final Fantasy 12 'The Drum of Basswall'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name - Midioker

real name - Prefer not to say

website - none

userid - ?

Name of game(s) arranged - Final Fantasy XII (Squaresoft)

Name of arrangement - The Drum of Basswall?

Name of individual song(s) arranged - The Tomb of Raithwall

Additional information: Original Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto. 2006, PS2.

Link to the original soundtrack -

Your own comments about the mix - Deep, minimal drum & bass style

remix. Created with Ableton Live, VSTi's & effects.

• 2 months later...

I went into this being worried that because it was a percussion-heavy source that it was going to be difficult to figure out and that I'd be spending a long time working out bits of source here and there in a non-melodic setting. I was pleasantly surprised to find that a lot of this is pretty clear on the source usage even for someone who isn't very familiar with the tune.

There are a lot of elements that are used intermittently, dropping out and coming back, that lend a lot of familiarity with the piece. Each idea is well-presented, and when it returns it helps set up a solid foundation within the source and for the flow of the mix itself. The arrangement is very creative considering how constrictive a source that is all percussion can be.

Given that the setup of the piece lends itself to a sparser texture, you've done well to keep things busy and the soundscape pretty full. There weren't really any times when I felt things were too empty and lacking direction. Production is clear, and the sounds are all solid.

Pretty easy call when it comes down to it for me.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty unique arrangement that despite being somewhat minimal was very interesting and cohesive. The soundscape was really deep and interesting, and the use of different elements was very intelligent and well-planned.

I especially enjoyed the excellent panning, and the percussion was perfect. Definitely not something i'd normally listen to, but you made a believer out of me. I love it. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed with how interesting this stayed with so little melodic content and a pretty static drumloop. This is made off the back of your attention to detail. In fact I barely noticed that it was more than 5 minutes. Like Deia, I thought this might be hard to evaluate but there's a few very recognizable snippets/rhythms from the source that anchor your arrangement, which actually made it pretty easy to judge. This is very different from most subs we get - the only thing off the top of my head to compare it to is DrumUltima's Chrono Trigger remix - and I'm happy that we get to pass something this unique.

YES

EDIT: Haha, just noticed the title.