OCR01410 - Descent II "Revelation"

djpretzel

Still a fan and probably always will be. Keep up the great work.

Incidentally, this track reminded me more of Cave Story (of all things) than Descent 2. That can be attributed to the fact that I played with the Redbook audio and had just listened to the credits midi for the first time before downloading this one, but I still quite enjoyed it.

I enjoyed this remix! I like the moody, layered, space-like atmosphere it has. I can't really comment on the likeness to the original source, as I don't know anything of the music in Descent 2. Regardless, this song stands on its own, and I thought it was great.

As I mentioned already, I really enjoyed the layered feeling of this song. I was impressed at how complex it really was, and how many different sounds were playing at the same time, yet never making the remix feel chaotic. It actually was the very opposite to me: I thought it was a very cool, ambient song, only reaching anything above "chill" music at the end. And that's okay: I liked it.

However, I was surprised by the song's length, and not exactly in a good way. Overly short and overly long music is something I don't enjoy, and getting just that right time isn't easy to do, I'm sure. In this remix, at times throughout I thought a little trimming could have tightened things up and improved the finished product. Things felt as if they were looping, and while that might not be true in the sense that entire portions were copied over, I still got that feeling.

Also, I'm not really a fan of the ending of the song: I think a little more breakdown in instrumentation as well as leaving the beat as the last instrument in the song would have been a better method to finishing the remix. My personal preference would have been to slowly strip away every layer until coming to the final "thud thud" beat heard playing throughout the song. At least for me, having something that sounds like a heartbeat come to a rest at the end of the song really would make the "end" feel like an end.

But don't take those little criticisms to heart, nor think that they stopped me from enjoying this remix. This song is definitely going into my playlist, and I'm rating it highly. I appreciate the hard work! It was time well spent.

088.jpg

Been looking forward to this for a while! Admittedly, when I think of Descent II, I think of the Title Screen music, which is far different than what we got here. ;)

But it is very enjoyable nonetheless, despite being a bit on the long side (as mentioned before, it does sound like it loops a bit).

Maybe I can cross my fingers and hope for more Descent remixes. We need them!

Finally! Hallelujah! :D Ever since I first stumbled across this site, I've been waiting for someone to remix a track from the Descent series, and since I saw the note in the judging forum about its passage, I've been eagerly awaiting its release. The Descent games are the only ones I've ever played online, and all three of them have truly excellent music, from D1's myriad of awesome MIDIs to D2's kickass redbook (and MIDIs, of course :wink:) to D3's funky trance. Thank you for this truly great Remix, Dj Redlight. It's definitely far from the first track I would have thought would be remixed from the Descent soundtracks, but you did an amazing job with it. :) I can only hope that it's the first of many Descent remixes to come.

Oh My God! *Cheers*! Never knew there were so many fellow descent lovers out there. I only posted a request for descent music recently and here is one already lol!

Havn't downloaded the track yet but know it's going to be good already. Let you know what I think when done.

~Hails Dj Redlight for putting descent on the map in OCremix~

Holy crap! 8O ! This is actually my favourite track in Descent II. Remixed very well too. 10 out of 10. :wink:

Ending at 5:10, this ReMix does seem a little long. But given the circumstances, most of the Descent tracks

were pretty lengthy as well. When the Descent games came out I was hooked [i still would be if my computer

ran DOS better] and I can still remember blasting bosses with the green, remote missiles. If I remember

correctly, there was a kickass intro to the second game too. I hope to see more of this music, whether from

DjRedlight or anyone else.

This particular song reminded me of some of the slower alien songs from Perfect Dark. Similar to the

Descent series is another game without many ReMixes called Forsaken on N64. I enjoyed playing it, but it's

really more of a cheap knockoff with naked female advertising than a true all directional, missile shooting, orb

gathering, reactor blasting Descent game.

Thank you Ms.Redlight.

Awesome. That's all I can say. I've only played Descent II with the redbook industrial soundtrack. In fact, I didn't even know that there was another soundtrack to the game.

Listening to this remix makes me want to cry because I can't play Descent II anymore... Seems like every damn computer I try it on is too new and the game won't recognize some things. I really want to play it again. :(

Listening to this remix makes me want to cry because I can't play Descent II anymore... Seems like every damn computer I try it on is too new and the game won't recognize some things. I really want to play it again. :(

There is a program you can download that allows you to play it on newer computers under XP or linux. PM me if you're interested so we don't clutter DJR's thread here. ;)

Very cool intro; nice and slow. The wavy style to this remix is really unique. You got yer tonal balance and volume contrast under control. And the emotive force is retained! Makes me feel lonely and amazed all at once. I really dig the intermittent lofi elements. Carries the ball all the way home, baby.

This mix is awesome! More Descent mixes please! I've been coming to this site for a while, silently enjoying the music but this mix has broken me out in a fever and the only cure is more D2.

I think Descent2 had the best tracks in PC. I still have all my Descent midis, extracted years ago back in the day of Koolbear and kali.net.

Let me go there just one more time.

This is nothing short of pure velvety goodness. There is so much going on, I want to take all of it in at once. To be limited by time and space to the present is simply a crime. It's like inhaling the most decadent chocolate bar in one mouthful ... it's that damn good.

And yes, to the disappointment of many listeners, Ashley is a guy. Don't let that stop you from experiencing the can of whoopass that is Dj Redlight. Props.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01410 - Descent II "Revelation"