OCR01411 - Breath of Fire III "Watermelon Flava"

djpretzel

I don't think I'll be putting this song in my playlist. It's not based on the quality of the work, but rather the genre. As a lounge music piece, it works great; but as a song I would want to listen to repeatedly, it falls short. I like that it was orchestrated with seriousness, rather than being presented as a novelty. However, because its genre requires - as djpretzel noted - what sounds like an relatively cheap keyboard soundbank, I don't find myself interested enough to listen to it again.

As for the length, I thought it ran at an adequate time. Truth be told, I thought it ran a little long, considering the content provided.

080.jpg

Something one would find in a coffee shop or lounge, that is what I invision when I hear this. I really like the feel to it, though it does run dry after half way through it.

Great stuff from Morse and po!, but I don't see how it got passed the judges.

No hate towards ya dudes, but...ya. To me you got lucky.

EDITED FOR IGNORANCE PORTRAYED!

I'm really digging this piece. There's plenty of variation on the theme and wow, does it transition well.

Definitely fitting to that "Cafe Feel". I really admire the ambient quality of the strings, and the very snazzy guitar. The piano choice is very crisp and the whole theme is just very "smooth". It reminded me of Music from the Sims.

It must be tough for a piece like this to further expand due to the song's style. But for what this song aimed at, it fit the pocket.

Props, you two. You really handled this genre well. Whilst some may find it on the repetitive side, this is the sort of music which isn't supposed to end - it's used a lot as BGM in anime and digital comics.

I thought the length was spot on, though, to add to the "driftness" of the genre, I would have extended the fade out a good 15 seconds longer :D This is coming from a guy who isn't really fond of fade outs, but for this sort of music, I actually prefer them.

Also, the "MIDI-ish" choice of samples were perfect! I guess this mix gets a bit more critism than most others, since it's not often you get one of these types of music handed to you. Once again, superbly done. I always get a big grin on when I hear this song .. not to mention the little 'kick' back into the groove @ 2:15 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've never heard a better synth that made so much sense in the jazz style. A jazz-synth. That's awesome and dangerous because it could have been a disaster. But it turned out really well. Sounds like something i would hear when listening to the smooth jazz station while driving home from work. Definitly has my approval and a new home on my hard drive.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

More of a strong upgrade to the original, rather than a complete re-imagining, this track works for me, despite playing it safe.

I loved that analogue synth and the solos were excellent as well. I think the percussion could have been much more involved and varied, but it had a well-produced sound. It does accomplish it's goals of just being laid back and relaxing, though, so maybe attention grabbing percussion would be counterproductive.

Either way, this is a great mix from one of the best tracks in the Breath of Fire 3 soundtrack. It's clean, smooth, and can be endlessly looped!

Check it out. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I immediately think of the Mii channel music as I listen to this.

I'm having trouble deciding if I like this one or not.:? On one hand, its smooth, mellow, fun, jazzy, and everything else in that category. On the other, it's too elevator/background music like to be play list worthy, imo. It conjures up images of elevator rides, waiting rooms for doctor's offices, and receptionist's areas of law firms that try to be "modern", and I have to ask myself if I really want that kind of music on my play list.

Don't get me wrong, it's good stuff, but...

well, o.k. after listening to it again, I'm going to label it "pretty decent remix" and shuffle it into my music collection. :tomatoface:

• 11 months later...

I really enjoyed thiis. I always felt the BoF III soundtrack was completley mismatched with the game. This isn't a radical mix and is very true to the original, keeping the samba/jazz style, but injects just enough to make it a little more mellow. Nicely done.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01411 - Breath of Fire III "Watermelon Flava"