Have you ever cried from a game?

Synth

I'll be new and original and say Mother 3. XD But man, even Earthbound makes me tear up at parts. It's less... because of something sad, and more... I'm not sure. Something about the way it's put together is just great at evoking certain moods.

I know I've cried at other parts in games, but I'm having a hard time thinking of specifics at the moment. I know Lunar Silver Star Story has made me cry before. >>

Oh right, and when I was little and playing Final Fantasy 2 for SNES (What we now know as FFIV!) I'm pretty sure I cried a lot. Spoilers: All the "deaths" just holy crap what. Sure they were fake outs, but as a little kid I wasn't all "pft, we all know Rydia's still alive". I thought she died for reals. T_T

And in FFV (spoilers!) when Galuf died. Man. That ripped my heart out. He was my favorite character too...

I'll be new and original and say Mother 3. XD But man, even Earthbound makes me tear up at parts. It's less... because of something sad, and more... I'm not sure. Something about the way it's put together is just great at evoking certain moods.

I didn't think Earthbound was sad at all, but the final battle is kind of overwhelming. (SPOILERS) The Prayer mechanic and all that stuff was amazing. It's one of the best final battles I can think of. It clearly inspired Mother 3's one, with the fact that you had to beat it without even attacking your enemy.

Really, no one has mentioned Mass Effect yet?!? Well, I'll admit to that one.

A few games have gotten me emotional (Majora's Mask, FF6, Skyward Sword, etc.) But there have been very few plot developments in any medium that hit me as hard as Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3. That was just rough from beginning to end. Terribly bittersweet and ultimately a beautiful treatment. When they started playing the menu music from ME1 I got a big lump in the throat and couldn't stop blinking. No sobs, but damn. ME3 did it to me a couple other times after that, but not quite as bad as that one. I still have trouble talking to people about it without getting a little choked up. Bioware, you magnificent bastards, you really know how to do some world building and characterization.

Chrono Cross. To this day cannot listen to Unstolen Jewel, because of the ending.

Oh and thanks for reminding me, fuckers... now cannot get it out of my head... it is a great song, but man, it has such an amazingly strong emotional effect on me, I can't describe it. I actually haven't listened to it for a decade, but as soon as I start thinking about it, it has the same effect.

EDIT: Looking through the thread it looks like a few people also mentioned Chrono Cross ending. Good to have company.

Heh, Prisoners of Fate or People Seized with Life (can't remember which is the correctly translated title) always gets me. It's the song playing when you fight Dario... and like, a lot of the other sadder moments throughout the game. I'm replaying the game now, as a matter of fact. Never bothered to try and get the other endings, so I'm gonna try it out.

Edit: Synth you're dead wrong imo.

I almost forgot...

I think that honestly says it all. I still tear up when i hear this song. And watching that scene in HD (computer version) Was nothing short of bliss. After what they put you through up to that point that sequence was just beyond belief.

Legend of Dragoon, for two reasons:

1) The ending, when Rose and Dart's dad turn into birds or some shit. I honestly don't remember, having played it a long time ago, but I remember it tugging a bit on the ol' heartstrings.

2) The god-awful voice acting.

Also, I have to mention how perfectly the final sequence of Crisis Core was pulled off. The whole DMW mechanic seemed arbitrary at first, but was redeemed in the end as we see Zack struggling to hold onto his memories as he gets riddled with bullets, finally breaking when his memories of Aeris (and the entire DMW) break. It really worked well.

Majora's Mask. This scene -->

I don't know what it is: The crowd cheering for him. Darmani's tears. That nod of acceptance at his own death. I just always realize that even when all is said and done, and Link saves the Gorons, Darmani is dead and he won't be coming back to that loving community. I don't think any video game death leading up to that had quite as much impact for me.

The Zelda series, as a whole, handles the issue of loss really well.

Legend of Dragoon, for two reasons:

1) The ending, when Rose and Dart's dad turn into birds or some shit. I honestly don't remember, having played it a long time ago, but I remember it tugging a bit on the ol' heartstrings.

2) The god-awful voice acting.

For me, the god-awful voice acting was more hilarious than anything. To this day, one of the funniest things to me in any video game is the voice acting in the fight between Haschel and his daughter. Cracks me up every time.

The ending really did tug at the heartstrings, though, especially when Rose is getting all philosophical and speaking to Dart.

For me, the god-awful voice acting was more hilarious than anything. To this day, one of the funniest things to me in any video game is the voice acting in the fight between Haschel and his daughter. Cracks me up every time.

The ending really did tug at the heartstrings, though, especially when Rose is getting all philosophical and speaking to Dart.

Hmm, for me Lavitz's "return" from hell (after you kill the demon) got to me more; more-so because the theme for it was so epic...sigh if only ppl cared more about that game :cry:

Oh and Geoffry Taucer covered the other things that got me as well (except strangly enough the FF6 opera scene made me sad too - god I'm such a hopeless romantic for low-fi sprite drama)

Majora's Mask. This scene -->

I don't know what it is: The crowd cheering for him. Darmani's tears. That nod of acceptance at his own death. I just always realize that even when all is said and done, and Link saves the Gorons, Darmani is dead and he won't be coming back to that loving community. I don't think any video game death leading up to that had quite as much impact for me.

The Zelda series, as a whole, handles the issue of loss really well.

I went to see Seeking a Friend for the End of the World the other day. Now, I'm going to assume no one cares about implicit spoilers for the movie.

During the last minute or so of the film, my girlfriend was getting all teary. While admittedly a sad and bittersweet ending, all I could do was marvel over its similarities to the Anju and Kafei scene as they stand side by side, ready to greet the end of the world together, so long as they have one another. THAT scene got me back in the day, and remains one of the strongest moments in a video game, to me.