Final Fantasy II: Rebellion - History

Brandon Strader

Yeah, honestly I don't see how remixing FF3 could be a joke -- it's such an incredible and (possibly underrated) soundtrack. I was playing Elia's theme on the piano waaay back when I first started ff2 and I can't wait to dive into it. I don't know if we'll have any of the artists on that fake roster, and the "blank of blank" title is a bit silly OCR-wise, but

is a pretty cool metal band.

FF2 is shaping up to be really awesome. We're at the point where wips and finished songs are gonna start flowing in and it's very exciting. I just heard a couple far-along WIPs today (from BONKERS and mellogear) and they're very unique and creative arrangements. It's gonna be good. All I can really say, haha.

6f6.gif

I think people are right to be excited for this one. :-o And I hope they enjoy the remixes as much as I am. We probably aren't going to have another pop vocal song though, so... ;-)

This is one of my most anticipated albums on the site at present. I've always enjoyed the FFII soundtrack and it's great it is finally getting the recognition it deserves. I'm particularly looking forward to the Battle Scene I and II arrangements, as well as the Main Theme, Rebel Army, and Finale.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We lost Shnabubula with "Run" and "Revived Emperor".. two songs that would have been one remix.

I'm satisfied with dropping them altogether as it would take someone very creative and with skills to cover it, and the time to do it within a month.

But if there's someone out there who reads this and thinks they're a bad enough dude, the opportunity is there.

• 5 weeks later...

Update to the listing here. On paper it appears we're 50% done, alas a few of the songs are 95% done and just waiting for the final touch so we're farther along than it appears. I'm also told the artwork is completed but have yet to receive it.

A change to the roster. Finale is now held by Hat of Dwelling of Duels fame, Magician's Tower is held by Harjawaldar also of DoD fame. They replace 2 OC ReMixers who either dropped out or were unable to be contacted. Tuberz McGee stepped in to make something interesting with "Run & Revived Emperor". More on that story as it develops.

PrototypeRaptor turned in his final mix for Rebel Army Theme, entitled "Firion N Maria (Will Take You To The Rebels)". It is very good and bridges the gap between metal and brutal dubsteps.

Sir Jordanius turned in TWO victory remixes. Not sure yet what the second one will be for, but it may be the first song for the FF3 album / trilogy conclusion.

EDIT: mellogear had finished his song before but I just got confirmation of a title, "Deuces", and knowledge that it needs to be mastered which I will do. So, marking as finished. :-)

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 2 months later...

Beginning of the year update to let everyone know where this project is since we're starting FF3 soon...

Finished songs: 13

Finished length: 58:43

Unfinished songs: 7

I'm personally sitting on a few songs, such as the Chernabogue dead music collab, and TuberzMcGee Revived Emperor, and a secret I'm not gonna reveal hopefully it works out. The 2 Bonkers songs are almost done. Hat knows what he doing (talked to him at MAGFest) should be good, and XPRTNovice just jumped on board for Magician's Tower.

So give it 2-3 months and hopefully we'll be finishing up for good. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

This is a lot less information than BONKERS usually provides :lol:

This is not a REAL preview of the final song, this is a chiptune using existing assets from BONKERS' remix. The solo, other stuff, it is in his mix but it is not chiptune... I thought this was a really awesome side-edit type thing that SORT OF represents a bit of his arrangement but in a very different style. So it's sort of a preview, I called it a semi-preview. I really liked it so I requested him to share it here, I hope you guys dig it but don't be disappointed when the final song doesn't sound like this. :-D

But you have THIS AND the other mix, the more the merrier!

Progress Update Edit!

We're so close to the end I can taste it, but we're still playing The Waiting Game (not a Wii U exclusive) with some of these songs. At least 2 of them are done but waiting for WAVs to be turned in. BONKERS has made considerable progress with both of his songs, but even more considerabler with Town recently, I can see that becoming a wav in not too much time. :-)

XPRTNovice is making pretty good progress with Magician's Tower, it's definitely an unexpected but cool take on the source!

Hat has been working on a couple concepts for his song, but is generally a good worker. :-)

That leaves basically me and mithius. Mithius has been MIA for quite a long while but seems to appear randomly with considerable amounts of progress (he appeared the day before deadline with Sentient Machines, a 10 minute magnum opus for ff1)

As for me... Not too worried :<

So perhaps I'd put us around the 90% mark as djp mentioned at MAG 11, I was hesitant to acknowledge we were so far along at the time, but honestly, that seems to be the case. We're far enough along that I can begin making a potential song order for the final (double disc!) album. Of course if mithius pulls through, things may shift a bit -- especially since he has the potential to turn in a 15 minute beast if he turns in anything at all.

Artwork as previously mentioned, finished by Edward Dennis, I have yet to add any text to it. We won't be doing an obnoxious number of "page cuts" like I did for ff1, I'll probably stick to the digipak artwork format which may or may not be distributed in the torrent, might just go front and back with that one. Might just go front. We'll see. Digipak layout seems like it should be a site-staff only thing, due to potential future printing, no need for EVERYONE to have that. :-)

Trailer... ideas floating around that don't include game footage, nothing set in stone.

Website... no biggie, same deal as with ff1.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, this project has me excited but I get the feeling the announcement of the FF3 project kind of makes this one overshadowed a bit. So far its looking to be an awesome album, especially looking at who decided to contribute to it.

I think it's safe to say that I'm one of few that actually enjoyed the soundtrack and hope for a remake in the style of FF7: Crisis Core. I know it will never happen but I can dream...

Oh man, this project has me excited but I get the feeling the announcement of the FF3 project kind of makes this one overshadowed a bit. So far its looking to be an awesome album, especially looking at who decided to contribute to it.

I think it's safe to say that I'm one of few that actually enjoyed the soundtrack and hope for a remake in the style of FF7: Crisis Core. I know it will never happen but I can dream...

It's fine for FF2 production to be overshadowed by FF3 production because FF2 is full-up and pretty close to being done! FF3 on the other hand, is just starting out. As far as release goes, I don't see FF2 being overshadowed by FF3 any more than FF7 was overshadowed by FF8, or FF8 overshadowed by FF9 -- production on these titles probably overlapped the way Squaresoft used to work, but that didn't affect the release as far as I can remember. :nicework:

A remake in the style of Crisis Core would be AMAZING. FF2 is so good and engaging and has such a good soundtrack, that I actually played the GBA version to near the end and am starting over on the PSP version. If they made another version before I finish PSP I'd have to continue with that one. :lol:

As for the album itself, not too much to report. Two people were moving into new homes and it's taking them a while to set up shop. BONKERS made great progress with Town but hit a couple quite scary snags with Reaper crashes. I am personally holding a few songs back but I don't see them taking too long to complete when the time comes. :banghead: The majority of the remaining songs have been like 95% done which is pretty hair-pullingly crazy but we're good. I can produce a near-final order for the tracks QUITE SOON just for kicks, and possibly share it here, which may shed some light on the basic flow of the album. I want to get some feedback within the project for the order though, just to make sure everyone is satisfied about the context.

Just noticed Preluematsude in the track list, and gotta say... that's a frickin' genius title. :-D

It's an amazing mix and a huge honor to have Jeff Ball on our new Prelude. The hardest decision will be whether to start with the Prelude, or the Imperial Army theme... so hard to choose...

• 1 month later...
Prelude IMO. Great to see the updates, so thanks for that.

Yeah I've still been thinking about it, I think that'll be the way to go after the first album, Prelude will flow VERY SMOOTHLY from the end of the last song on ff1. I'm all about listening to the trilogy from start to finish. :-P

oh yeah some noob called sixto sounds made a surprise song out of nowhere

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still glad I passed the panel. I swear it was tenuous as hell checking up on it every few days to see it creeping up the list.

And then it stayed there...

It stayed there... forever....

And then one day, outta that blue - Brandon: 'Hey Ian, your track passed'

'HEEEELLLLLSSSS YEEEAAAHHH!!'

Easy breathing now. That said, I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the tunes.