OCR00586 - Final Fantasy VII "Suffering Planet"

orkybash

Final Fantasy VII 'Suffering Planet'

Intro sounds nice, though the synths that underscore it are kinda strange. It then transitions (poorly I might add) into a more upbeat, synthy version. Some creative arranging tricks here, including an unexpected piano interlude, which manage to keep it interesting. Overall this is an enjoyable rendition of the Cry of the Planet theme, and I recommend it to any FF fans.

• 3 weeks later...

edit begin

The genre is INDUSTRIAL/ELECTRONICA

=D

and I have another version with better panning for those who don't like the mono version =D upon dc13's request

edit end

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first remix, and I decided it'd be of my favorite song from Final Fantasy 7, "You can hear the cry of the Planet" by Nobou Uematsu.

It's in a 6/8 time signature, I composed it so it's in D minor instead of A minor... or was it the other way around =D... it's been a long time since I've looked at the piece.

Anyways, about bad transitions, I've heard some people suggest that they liked the piece only because it doesn't just jump into the next part of the song and that they liked the transitions a lot. So when orkybash suggested this, it actually struck a chord about what the other guy said.

This entire mix was done on my Roland JX-305, I didn't add anything from anywhere else, this made it difficult to change problems, add different elements, etc, cause it'd mean I'd have to record. Some of the live elements were the pianos (2, the one in the middle, and the one at the end), the electronic melody, the drums (no quantizing, straight drumming), and the choirs (not the strings). The other voices, I recorded by playing into the keyboard, not programming. I didn't realize you could program noises, into the keyboard, and I didn't have any equipment to make the songs through the computer. This piece was very difficult because you could say it was all recorded live, and tracked together.

Most remixers who do this type of music use certain programs to have a perfect song, that's easy to change the voices, and don't have very much error in their songs, this song is very unique, and could not be replicated, because it has several parts of human error but human error gives emotion into the piece.

anyways I hope you guys liked the piece, just wanted to give a little bit of a background (I hope you guys don't delete the post just cause I responded to my own piece =D)

~dj carbunk1e

Edited by Xaleph

I am a huge fan of Aeris, and this remix is based on the ancient city, it think that was its name, theme. When I listened to it I expected to hear something sad or depressing, and I wanted to delete it, but I listend a few seconds further and found that it was more of an 'Aeris Revenge' type of song. I was thrilled! Listening further I dubbed this my very most favorite OC remix song, so far. A great remix to bob your head to and awesomely worked out. You can just tell when the song starts out with a medium rythm it'll just jam in with effect. I loved the anticipation! Congratulations Dj Carbunkle, this was a great success and I hope to hear more from you. Keep up the great work. ^_____________^

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a beatiful piece. I love it. The way it starts out so calm is really beautiful, and then when it begins to pick up at 0:49 is definitely effective. And the way it becomes calm again at 2:01 was definitely effective, leading into the more upbeat sound at 2:24. At 4:25 when the music goes back to that spacey sound is really neat, and then leading into harmony with the piano, and then ending with just the piano was quite effective.

This is definitely an inspiring piece (thus, it goes on my inspiration playlist ^^; ;). Dare I say, this would have been a good piece to play in the final showdown between Cloud and Sephy-sama?

Great job!

• 5 months later...

This song is so inhumanely underrated. Nothing anyone says does this song justice. I have to delve into another language to properly describe it. It is 'gahro' as the D'ni say. It roughly translates into 'great', though it's far beyond that. They use it to describe the vastness of the universe, the beauty of a planet, and the feeling of love. I have only used this word to describe one other thing in my life.

Carbunk1e, you deserve some sort of medal or award for this song. It is beautiful beyond measure.

• 2 weeks later...

I tink DJP desribes the nuances of this mix best in his front page review. This is a remix that I will keep in my playlist forever, it covers alot of ground in it's scant 5 minutes. However a re-mastering session would be greatly appreciated, and would only serve to improve a superb first submission from one of OCR's greats, Mr DJ Carbunk1e.

• 11 months later...

This is earcandy for me, this track got now a much more tougher appeal, much variation among the instruments, arrangement=awesome! carbunk1e, you sure did it this time.

Got a little surprised when the mix went over for some techno when the synth waltzed in at the end and then got paired up with the piano, and I love piano, thanks fer that.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I agree (not fully). Except everything before 2 minute mark isn't as great. In fact only the synth and piano make the mix what it is, obviously. Definitely seeking a higher quality version! Carbunk1e is the one who got me into Reason (I wonder if he remembers) so that requires some thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Despite sounding a bit lossy, this is a pretty awesome arrangement. Good source to begin with, I always loved that track, and the arrangement of it is pretty great. Synths and piano, a cool meter, plus good percussion. Production though is pretty weak, and prevents this from being really a standout track. I'd love to hear a version with cleaner production.

• 3 months later...

Honestly, I wasn't really feeling the start of the song. Sounds lofi/lossy at the start, like some high freqs were lost in the process and the mids have some pretty strong resonant parts at times. Some pops and clicks (maybe intentional) throughout as well.

I was about ready to write the song off, when in the middle things started getting more interesting. Lead around 2:26 took me by surprise and drew me back into the song as a whole. This is what's keeping it on my playlist I think.

I think OA said it well, the production might be weak, but some good arrangement here and a few instruments/nuances that bring up the overall level of the song.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00586 - Final Fantasy VII "Suffering Planet"