OCR01412 - Final Doom "River Styx"

djpretzel

I really love this...I always swoon over piano.

First off, the production quality is really nice, everything is crisp and clean to me...Sounds great...Hmm what else...Okay, at first the piano sounds really flat, but with all of the other instruments complimenting it, as soon as I heard them come in, I realized that there was a broad spectrum of sound pretty well blended together. Every time a new instrument came in, the sound was enhanced. Nice builds too. I also agree that your instruments/samples were well chosen as well.

My only qualm would have been for the piano to have felt a little heavier sounding towards the end, but that is just my personal preference. Good one, TO...

Oh yeah, p.s. I enjoy the chord change at 2:27, I was waiting for that for most of the song.

I wanted to like this, I really did. It started out great: it had all the right elements to an entertaining, creepy, understated remix. I was prepared to give it my 90% rating graphic, perhaps even with my "reviewer's choice" medal alongside.

But the rest of the song didn't deliver for me. I was a little surprised by the percussion when it was first introduced, and saddened once the full range of percussion began. Suddenly the remix no longer felt haunting: instead it repeatedly sounded like we were listening to a hobbyist plunk on the keyboard to the beat of a drum loop. Which... is pretty much what was being done: but noticing that is rarely a good thing.

The samples, for the most part, were good: the piano was a little subpar. I only noticed it once the other instruments began to play; otherwise the lower quality sample sounded fine to my ears.

Personally, once the beat started, I would have liked to hear some lower notes from the piano. I heard a lot of treble, but very little bass. The left side of the keyboard needs some attention, too! It's feeling lonely.

Finally, like so many remixes, the ending just doesn't do it for me. I was wanting a crescendo of beat, not just the finale of the drum loop. Start pounding on the keys, adding some more beat - something to cover up the sudden stop of the drum loop.

Now, perhaps you didn't use a drum loop; and I apologize for accusing you if I'm incorrect. And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using a drum loop: it's just that I don't feel much life or energy from drum loops. Most of them end up sounding rather dull to my ear.

Overall, this is a passable remix, but not going in my playlist. The first quarter of the remix proves promising, but the rest doesn't satisfy.

070.jpg

I really enjoyed this mix, and after listening to it on repeat over the course of the afternoon, I'm amazed at how TO uses the glockenspiel and piano together. I also like the delayed glockenspiel solo at 2.48. I really like the way the acoustic guitar dances over the beautifully chilled beats, and similarly the distortion elements that undertone them. Also the nice airy strings underneath are great, and help to weave light and dark into the track. After listening to TO's work a few times you start to hear the little things that make you think to yourself "that's really cool".

Overall this piece has an almost chillout quality about it which i really love. The originality of this mix is what makes it stand out for me. Great work TO, keep it up! =)

I like it for the most part. It's a great song that seems to make you forget about type-casting it and defining it's style into one group or another. It keeps you interested throughout, because you don't know completely what to expect. This can be a problem though, because it seems like the conductor didn't know exactly where he was going with it also. It's one of those songs where a person either gets it or they don't, and I got it. 4/5.

My thoughts somehow wanders off to Turok 2 - level 4 (Lair of the Blind Ones) for the beginning of this remix..it's so similar in the piano tune mostly.

Anyway ,this thing is well composed. Well composed indeed :o

TO, you have an uncanny knack for making quality Doom songs. Keep up yer great work cause we surely want more of this :P

The piano sounds great; kinda flat and muted. Perfect for a creepy track. Then the drums came in and kinda ruined it! Now it's just new-age bullshit. Technically, a very pleasant soundscape. Emotively, where is DOOM? Don't get me wrong; I enjoy it and it's staying on the playlist. It's just not DOOM.

Technically, a very pleasant soundscape. Emotively, where is DOOM? Don't get me wrong; I enjoy it and it's staying on the playlist. It's just not DOOM.

It's not meant to be "DOOM", it's a remix.

And on that note, not everyone is going to agree with you on what "DOOM" is.

Not meant to be DOOM? So much for tribute, I guess.

I never played Doom, and I probably never will, because it just doesn't interest me.

But this ReMix is really great. I like pianos a lot, because they can add so much to the atmosphere, and this track _has_ some atmosphere, oh yes. My favorite part is when the music slowly fades out, but then suddenly starts again (at 3:11).

• 3 months later...
Technically, a very pleasant soundscape. Emotively, where is DOOM? Don't get me wrong; I enjoy it and it's staying on the playlist. It's just not DOOM.

It's not meant to be "DOOM", it's a remix.

And on that note, not everyone is going to agree with you on what "DOOM" is.

Final Doom's soundtrack was not done by Bobby Prince; it has an altogether different feel to it. You want Doom, listen to remixes from Doom.

• 2 years later...

I guess I might as well get my "I hated Doom music in-game but TO makes it sound awesome" comment out of the way immediately, or maybe just add it out of tradition. I even have my final doom disk still, so maybe I could find this track and compare, but that sure is a lot of work. I love the piano in this and the long reverb on it. I thought the snare was a little overpowering when it came in, but the rest of the percussion works well.

The piece definitely has a sinister undertone to it, and the textured glock and piano weave together very well. I really get the feeling of going through corridors and darkened hallways with slivers of light shining through while listening to this; It's very creative throughout and keeps the atmosphere throughout while managing to keep evolving. My one complaint is the ending wasn't terribly smooth. I think even a fade out would have worked better, but it's a minor complaint up against an excellent track.

Recommended.

• 2 years later...

What's pretty cool about this track is that it convey's it's own atmosphere, not a super evil, super scary, or overly cliche thing, but still has a bit of a sinister overtone. I like that it's unique in that. Overall the sounds are very good, and this one was a nice chill out with a bit of hip hop attached. Nicely done.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01412 - Final Doom "River Styx"