MAGFest 11 OCR Community Info - Rooms/People/Rides/GroupReg (Partially Updated 12/26/12)

Level 99

Dental school is a foul, foul taint of a thing. And I hear my winter break is a week shorter this year, plus I have to take my first board exam the first week of January... so yeah. Hopefully, it all works out, and I can stay the whole time, but it's not likely :(

You bitch tit. Well, Indy is kinda on my way back, so I could probably bus Ben and halc back if they want to stay SINCE YOU CAN'T LOL

But seriously though, this news makes me D':

And Matt can't even go this year! He has a big boy job now, and he's taking all his time off to compete in the Tae Kwon-Do world championships. What a pussy, right? Quoth my other brother Clint: "How 'boutcha Tae Kwon-Don't?!"

EDIT: But I actually am proud of him, but that's beside the point

Good to know. Is there a story behind this? What would you recommend instead? (My credit card has a fairly low limit, so I'd rather not have to use it if at all possible.)

At this last MAGFest, I had an extremely limited budget, as rent had just been taken out and I was paying for all these things like airfare and the hotel deposit, etc. I tend to pay most things with debit if I can. So, when I got to the hotel, they asked if I wanted to pay with debit or credit. Naturally, I said debit. What they do is withdraw the full price of the hotel AND any potential collateral (or incidentals) during the stay. Pretty much wiped out my entire bank account down to about six dollars. The only way I could eat was to use up the incidentals that I had already paid for by buying from the hotel restaurants and the in room menus which are infinitely more expensive. They do return any of the incidentals you don't use, but not until after. And by that time, the return was rather small and I still had about a couple weeks until my next paycheck. With credit, they don't actually do that. So, go credit. Definitely credit.

At this last MAGFest, I had an extremely limited budget, as rent had just been taken out and I was paying for all these things like airfare and the hotel deposit, etc. I tend to pay most things with debit if I can. So, when I got to the hotel, they asked if I wanted to pay with debit or credit. Naturally, I said debit. What they do is withdraw the full price of the hotel AND any potential collateral (or incidentals) during the stay. Pretty much wiped out my entire bank account down to about six dollars. The only way I could eat was to use up the incidentals that I had already paid for by buying from the hotel restaurants and the in room menus which are infinitely more expensive. They do return any of the incidentals you don't use, but not until after. And by that time, the return was rather small and I still had about a couple weeks until my next paycheck. With credit, they don't actually do that. So, go credit. Definitely credit.

Life tip: If you use a debit card for everything, you're much better off using a credit card and paying it completely off every month. It solves situations like this.

Life tip: If you use a debit card for everything, you're much better off using a credit card and paying it completely off every month. It solves situations like this.

This is a great way to help you boost your credit rating and you'll also have your credit limit raised. At this point, I don't use my debit card for anything other than getting money out of the ATM. The other great thing about many credit card companies is that they either have some sort of reward or cash back program. I've been with BoA for over a decade and they've been pretty good to Kate and I on both the checking account and credit cards.

I'm going to wait until August to purchase my ticket, only because I need to wait and see my schedule for the fall semester (I might have to return to FL after magfest and fly back a week later)

If anyone has a room already and needs another person to split the costs, PM or reply to me.

• 3 weeks later...