MAGFest 11 OCR Community Info - Rooms/People/Rides/GroupReg (Partially Updated 12/26/12)

Level 99

Unfortunately I won't be making it this year either. There were some family things that came up, and I ended up getting pulled into a project at work that there is no way I can get out of on the 3rd and 4th. Luckily I hadn't bought anything yet cause I was waiting to see how this stuff played out.

I'm bummed I won't get to meet everyone for realz. And the performer lineup each night looks like it's going to be awesome. You guys rock out for me though, ok?

Here's some tips from me to you...

For those who like coffee, DO NOT use the little coffee vending type machines you'll see around the hotel. I'm not a coffee snob but the stuff these things serve is vile. There is, however, a little Starbucks like coffee place in the hotel that serves a fairly decent cup. Price wise, it's about on par with Starbucks and the like. They also serve sammiches which are over priced but decent.

For those who will be coming to the area for the firs time, there are plenty of places to eat around the National Harbor area. Be aware, though, that they get quite crowded in the evening and at typical meal times. Potbelly's is one of my favorite places. They have good sammiches and they're fairly quick to get your food to you. A lot of the other quick serve places get bogged down quite quickly and you might end up waiting 45 minutes or so to get your food.

Pizza places will deliver to the hotel but their hours of doing so are kind of weird from what I remember. The place we had the most like with was Pizza Boli's It worked out quite well when we made an order of like 15 pizzas for a huge lot of us.

If you can, bring snacks with you. I tend to keep granola bars and things like that around for when I feel my sugar dropping. It's not that far of a walk to get to the convention area to where your room is. This will also save you from buying too many expensive snacks from the hotel itself.

Speaking of being close to your hotel room with concerns to sleep. Despite not being much of a partier, I often found myself hanging out with people into the wee hours of the night. Being so close to your room makes power naps an option! I'm old, though. Us geezers need our naps. Still, taking a nap here and there made it so that I could enjoy events that I wanted to see.

Hrm...I think that's it for now.

If you're a coffee drinker, there's an awesome coffee shop not even two blocks away. Easy walking distance, and it's about half the price of the one inside the building.

Seriously, don't get food inside the hotel if you can help it. There's about 70% markup on the food there.

If you're a coffee drinker, there's an awesome coffee shop not even two blocks away. Easy walking distance, and it's about half the price of the one inside the building.

Seriously, don't get food inside the hotel if you can help it. There's about 70% markup on the food there.

And if you have a tight budget, do not pay for the hotel with debit. They will charge all the incidentals (essentially what they would charge you for breaking shit) upfront and, if you don't have any extra money, you'll have to use up the incidentals on hotel food by putting your meals on your hotel account. Always pay with credit if you can.

I'll be there for check-in at 3pm on Wednesday, but will have to run back out around dinnertime with Shariq to go pick Ashamee up from DCA. I can't guarantee we won't play Kamen Rider fighten gaemz for the rest of the night either.

Ooh, people are coming in Wednesday? I'd be up for dinner then - also do you have room in your room for Wednesday night then? I'd be willing to give you some cash, since I'm taking off Thursday & Friday from work.

I'll be there for check-in at 3pm on Wednesday, but will have to run back out around dinnertime with Shariq to go pick Ashamee up from DCA. I can't guarantee we won't play Kamen Rider fighten gaemz for the rest of the night either.

We actually don't have to go to the airport on Wednesday. She's driving up with starla and Rama.

Alright, so I'm gonna be there Wednesday night! I'll probably be there from 7-8 or maybe a little later though.

Also, I started the MAGFest phone # spreadsheet - feel free to add my # and call me (or text - just let me know who it is before MAGFest somehow), and add yours for reference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al9vpEyOO47adDFfaFM0VWJuSEg2TFZRTXpEbkoyTGc#gid=0