Orchestral: "Carvahall ~Tales&Trials~

SJM

Carvahall ~Tales&Trials~ @ Soundcloud

A huge orchestral piece - actually the first orchestral track that brought my little laptop to it's limit even though it only uses Sonatina Symphony Orchestra, some other free soundfonts and for the percussion 5$-Garritan-Pocket-Orchestra - so mostly as always, hehe ;)

The biggest difference is that I tried using seperate instruments for the strings section instead of one big patch this time - but I guess the result makes clear, that I still have a long way to go with orchestrating :)

The melody at 3:02 (so the third part of this piece) had been spooking around in my head for quite some time and I associated it with the village Carvahall and the tales and trials it goes through in the "Eragon" books, so I kept that name :) The other parts came together while creating the track in a ~7-hour-session.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe leave me some comments, they really make my day :)

• 2 weeks later...

You did a good job at keeping the piece fairly interesting and expanding your melodies. I liked the first half a lot more than the second half personally, though.

Try toning down your horn usage a bit in the piece and workout some more orchestration, it ends up getting a bit repetitive after a while. Also, your lead is almost always coming from the right ear (probably since its mostly horn :P). Regardless, try to maybe vary that aspect up a bit as well or add a counter melody on an instrument panned left.

And I realize f horn is an awesome instrument (one of my favorites), but give the other instruments their time to shine.

Thanks for your comment and...

And I realize f horn is an awesome instrument (one of my favorites), but give the other instruments their time to shine.

... you are probably right about that, I'll really try to keep that in mind next time, thank you for the hint ;)