OCR02464 - Final Fantasy VII & VIII "Duel of the Blades"

Not gonna lie, I really didn't like how this started off. And the sequencing felt a bit stiff in some spots. But it got a lot better near the end. Which tastefully integrated the prelude in there with both themes.

Honestly this reminds me more of Castlevania Lords of Shadow in somepots than FF. But I don't really see that as a bad thing.

Like the mixer himself said, there are a hundred takes on One Winged Angel, and most of them are more or less identical. To take a second epic piece and slam it in to Sephi like a Meteor to the face? Great idea, well pulled off. Readers, locate your download buttons.

There is an incredible attention to detail in this piece that you can't help but admire. Through the whole thing everything interweaves so completely the two pieces seem as though they were meant to be one all along. Instant download - no question.

Wow, am I impressed. Don't pass this mix up without listening to the last 1:30 - the wind solos and background runs take this tune I know so well into directions and places I had never planned. It's like some kind of airy, yet unsettling, walk through the trees. Very impressive.

Really great arrangement. I will not lie, this is going straight into my library. I could easily pick up the strains from both Liberi Fatali and OWA, but I agree: you managed to weave them into one cohesive theme quite well.

One question (not a gripe, but an observation): I noticed that in the horn section starting at around 2:00, and again in the piano section near the end, you repeat the "Estuans interius" line from OWA, but never conclude with the ubiquitous "SE-PHI-ROTH!" Am I correct in guessing that the omission was intentional? a means of breaking from the OWA-remix norm?

Really nice work! The arrangement has a great forward drive I think, it's exciting to listen to. The integration of the different themes is indeed well done, very natural. I'm not very familiar with the source, and it seems seamless to me.

The sequencing maybe sounded.. both a little off-rhythm and mechanical at the same time. It's well above the bar for my tastes though. The piano and harp runs at the end were the parts where the mechanical feel hurt the track most, the wind-down at the end was the weakest part of the track overall. I also felt it wasn't as well written as the previous sections (though the mechanical feel might have contributed to this perception). It was still all right though, and I enjoyed the overall structure of the piece, the longish wind-down included.

Good stuff all in all!

--Eino

• 3 weeks later...

wow. This has quickly become a new favorite of mine. Two of the greatest themes (in my mind at least) together in a cohesive piece that sounds like they belong together. I would like to hear a little bit more of Liberi Fatali shining through in the mix, but that's just me nit picking. Fantastic song!

• 1 year later...

To hear someone try to change things up while ReMixing One Winged Angel is such a breath of fresh air. Not that I have anything against mixes that stick closer to the original structure, but it's just neat to hear something a little different from time to time. Probably not my favorite take on either theme, but it was a damn good go at using them both together and a ReMix I can certainly enjoy and appreciate. Not bad, man.

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02464 - Final Fantasy VII & VIII "Duel of the Blades"