New Final Fantasy VII PC Port is happening

So... FFVII leaked onto Square's store and was pulled... from what people have seen so far:

Ogg files present in the game are recorded MIDIs off probably a sound card or synth, instead of the original PSX sound track. This includes OWA which is completely missing its lyrics.

Videos are upscaled versions of the original PSX videos (possibly with extra compression added to make them look worse)

Also contains SecuROM DRM.

GOOD JOB SQUARE!

Maybe fixing? Probably not.

So... FFVII leaked onto Square's store and was pulled... from what people have seen so far:

Ogg files present in the game are recorded MIDIs off probably a sound card or synth, instead of the original PSX sound track. This includes OWA which is completely missing its lyrics.

Videos are upscaled versions of the original with lossy compression added to make them look worse

SecuROM DRM

SecuROM DRM

Well, there goes what little interest I had. I'm not touching this thing with a ten-foot pole now.

Videos are upscaled versions of the original PSX videos (possibly with extra compression added to make them look worse)

GOOD JOB SQUARE!

Maybe fixing? Probably not.

I theorize that at one point in time that was the release date and someone who didn't get any memos in the last few months accidentally launched a prototype of the game.

Or Square just don't give a fuck bout nothin

The original PC port's MIDIs combined with the Yamaha XG synth they were designed to be played on actually sounded better than the original game's samples by a landslide IMO, with the exception of the missing OWA lyrics. But who knows if the versions in this new port were recorded using that synth or not (for that matter, there's much better sample sets nowadays anyway).

I actually thought the original PC port, which I owned, was pretty darn good. The graphics + fonts actually looked better than on the PS1 version. Plus, years later, you could download mods to replace the MIDI music and improve the graphics (model swaps, etc)

I also owned the original FF7 PC edition and it was really nice, especially once you could mod it to make the world map and field sprites less clunky. 800x600 compared to 640x480 was a big jump back then also :P

But who knows if the versions in this new port were recorded using that synth or not (for that matter, there's much better sample sets nowadays anyway).

Yeah, there definitely are a lot nicer sounding samples available, but there's just something about the original soundtrack. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I love the sounds, especially the high pitched instrument used for melody in songs like Don of the Slums, and the song played while on the Boat with Red XIII. . .

But anyways, it would indeed be nice to see some upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
The original PC port's MIDIs combined with the Yamaha XG synth they were designed to be played on actually sounded better than the original game's samples by a landslide IMO, with the exception of the missing OWA lyrics. But who knows if the versions in this new port were recorded using that synth or not (for that matter, there's much better sample sets nowadays anyway).

Sadly, it does not even appear to be Yamaha XG. Either way, I still perfer the originals soundtrack over the XG version from what I've heard, the instruments seem slow, muffled, or just off timed.

The good news is that since its Ogg, you can just mod the music (which someone already has modded the original OST back in) but why should you have to do that on a new release?

Also, more fun news, SecuROM DRM apparently has limited activations.

PSX -

Fighting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsEfkNeRm0

Still More Fighting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxKxCz9M4s

Old PC Release on XG -

Fighting -

Still More Fighting -

New PC Release (2012) OGG:

Fighting -

Still More Fighting -

I remember the XG tracks sounding much better than that as far as volume levels and panning went, but I was running the S-YXG100 softsynth at the time instead of the 70 that came with the game. Maybe that had something to do with it. Though that would admittedly be awkward, for MIDI files normalized for the wrong synth to be packaged with the game.

Sadly, it does not even appear to be Yamaha XG. Either way, I still perfer the originals soundtrack over the XG version from what I've heard, the instruments seem slow, muffled, or just off timed.

The good news is that since its Ogg, you can just mod the music (which someone already has modded the original OST back in) but why should you have to do that on a new release?

Also, more fun news, SecuROM DRM apparently has limited activations.

PSX -

Fighting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsEfkNeRm0

Still More Fighting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxKxCz9M4s

Old PC Release on XG -

Fighting -

Still More Fighting -

New PC Release (2012) OGG:

Fighting -

Still More Fighting -

I can't imagine this is what it sounded like on the PC. Then again, I did have a pretty nice Sound Blaster card back then. That may have made my experience much better.

Wow. Just....wow.

If anyone needs a crash course in how to not do a proper new version of a game, porting it to the same system it is essentially being ported from, please play this.

Remember that FF7 tech demo for the PS3? Skweenicks has had the most successful 6 year long troll of all time.

I don't know whether to ignore this entirely, or request the company mercifully put down the ff7 name and never look at it again.