Sega announces NiGHTS into Dreams HD Port

Level 99

I came. So many times, I came.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/07/05/dreams-do-come-true-sega-announces-the-return-of-nights-into-dreams%e2%80%a6/

Here's the essential info:

Release date: Fall 2012

Platforms: XBLA, PSN, Windows Digital Download

Perks: . This new version will bring Nightopia to vivid life with improved HD graphics and a 16:9 aspect ratio, as well as added support for leaderboards, trophies, and achievements. It will also feature an optional Saturn Mode that will let players experience the game with the original graphics intact.

So it sounds like a port of the PS2 version, with possible hi res textures and support for online achievments and stat tracking.

Obviously, I am very VERY excited.

Yeah, I would be more concerned that they would 'mess (the game) up' if it were actually being rebuilt from scratch (then again Journey of Dreams was a new game and seemed to be well-received).

This should go over as well as any other HD port.

What bothers me is all the news sites reporting "OMG HD REMAKE" every time one of these HD retextured ports is announced. A TRUE 'remake' in the way of Resident Evil GCN, where assets are completely redone (no trace of the literal original engine) would be worthy of even more excitement, though admittedly not every game should be "remade", and remakes are a lot riskier than HD ports, both financially and in not disappointing fans of the original, so it's understandable why more of these aren't done. The overuse of the wrong terminology is what bothers me.

It definitely looks like a port of the PS2 game from the trailer. Just bumped resolution and some extra features added. Not sure why they keep posting that first picture, its a complete lie. Oh well, its probably for the better since the current Sega can't really create anything new without messing something up.

Spreading NiGHTS to more than just Saturn and a Japanese only PS2 game is still great news! And being on modern digital services, especially Steam is always nice.

What bothers me is all the news sites reporting "OMG HD REMAKE" every time one of these HD retextures ports is announce

Yeah that really is rather bothersome. They give too much fuel to these companies who are doing lazy "HD" version of games.

SEGA has a good track record with porting classics. Daytona USA for XBLA/PSN was outstanding.

Sonic Genesis anyone?

Given that I don't have a PC, PSN, and my XBLA account expired, I might miss this one. But otherwise I'm interested.

If it comes to the Wii U i'd definitely get it...

If it doesn't come to the Wii U, i may not even get the console :P

(seriously, these kind of downloadable titles (Sonic CD as well) are EXACTLY the kind of thing Nintendo need to get hold of to secure interest.

A few more big IPs and downloadable content like this...

As much as I'm excited for this, I'm kind of sick of all the big gaming announcements being either Call of Duty clones or remakes of old games.

I'm sick of most "Triple-A" gaming companies period. Look at ActiBlizzard, Activision and EA...profit before quality :banghead: and SquareEnix being a pile of Moogle crap (FF14 ring any bells?)

I can't wait for the giants to collapse and give rise to the indie companies (who may or may not become giants themselves in the future)

While i can't speak for all the other ports happening in the industry, i know NiGHTS is being ported because we as fans asked for it. There were never any plans for this to happen until we ran the campaign for SEGA to make the port.

So, say what you will about everything else but when it comes to NiGHTS the fans wanted this. We worked hard to get this. So blame us for this one ;P

And this is personally just me but i'm all for ports. I don't think it should a companies main focus but i'm all for keeping old IP's active in this day and age. Consoles like the SEGA Saturn break leaving titles like NiGHTS to be forgotten. There's no harm in bringing them to modern consoles and if it helps to keep a company going then really everybody wins.

That aside, i'm all for new IP's too. A bit from column A and a bit from column B, in my book.

• 2 months later...

I never owned a Saturn, but I played the original Nights at my buddy's who did own one...many, many years ago. I thought it was an awesome game, and the controls really impressed me.

I see that the HD Port just got released on PSN from my end. One problem; Sega simultaneously released Sonic Adventure 2 HD in the same day as well! Each is 9$ a pop. Not sure if I'll download both in one go or wait for a price drop or something. I'm really itching to play each game.