OCR01434 - *YES* Yoshi's Story 'Oh, Say Can Yoshi'

djpretzel

djp,

So, like, I have this remix. I got the idea from Dr. Fruitcake because he is totally the man, the midi man, but the man, none-the-less. I took the songs from the end that came from Yoshi's Story and I made this remix. Then I had to go search for the music because I didn't know what it was. From what I can tell, this is the Title Screen music and Yoshi's Theme (a section from both). Then I got the bright idea to do it live, and it came out ok. It's like the Kirby one: not the best recording, but I really just work with what I have, and the university obviously is not one for high production quality. I'm surprised they can hit the record button some days. Anyways, I was juiced, the mics were hot, and I really squirted this one out. Hope you enjoy it.

Remixer name: Bladiator

email: bladiator@juno.com

Game: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Tunes: Title screen and Yoshi's Theme (I think)

Other comments: I think I said it all, lemme think ... yeah, I'm done. No wait, people are paranoid freaks (it's a hurricane coming) and Harmony rocks.

~Karl

Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/YSTitle.mid - Yoshi's Story

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Yoshi.mid - Yoshi's Theme

There's a very light hiss over this track, it's not too noticeable at lower volumes, but it could be very easily taken care of in a wav editing program.

The piano playing is otherwise great, it's live so the piano is real. The tempo of the remix is fairly fast and it's played superbly from what I can tell. Gentle almost Christmas Carol sounding piano to begin with, and lots of good clear forte piano in the more pronounced sections. At around 1:50 I even got a Chips Challenge vibe from the way the piano was played.

As soon as the mix starts we can hear the title screen theme brought in softly with the piano, and that plays until 0:53 when Yoshi's Theme is brought on, playing those groovy parts on the lower chords of the piano from the original. Love that sound. The Yoshi's theme part continues until the Karl eventually mixes the two themes together after the 2 minute mark to create a very creative and upbeat mix of the two themes.

No complaints here, wonderful work of arrangement.

YES

Yoshi's Story Original Soundtrack - 02 "Yoshi's Story"

Yoshi's Story Original Soundtrack - 03 "Yoshi's Song"

Great live stuff, though I wish it sounded a bit sharper. Yeah, if the hiss could be cut down a bit, that would be good. Pretty basic arrangement for piano until :53 kicked the energy level up. I really like how the "Yoshi's Story" melody was played over the foundation of "Yoshi's Song" from :54-1:24, which I hope other people catch.

Things went extra jazzy at 1:14 for the hotness, before moving onto the "Yoshi's Song" melody at 1:24. Good stuff with the key change and extra ornamentation from 1:48 until the end. Everything was full of life. Great mix. Truly magnifique and all that jazz.

YES

This is really cool stuff. I thought the source materials were soo crappy. :D One of em even had a cheaply used chipmunkish lead that sounded so poorly executed. Bleh. ;)

This arrangement takes the source to new levels and has a lot of ornamentation that adds personal spice to the mix. I wish the recording was better though, it sounds a bit distant and lacking in upper ranges. I would have worked on EQing to help fix the recording issues. This needs a bit of high end and rolling off some middle/low end. Minor gripe though.

Enjoyable and very good work Blad. YES