Pokémon G/S/C Ruins of Alph Remix: "Alphabet Soup"

It's been a while since I've posted to the forums (or really remixed that much) but this was my latest piece of inspiration. I really dig what I have so far, what with time switches, some soft wubby bass *(not really the main feature) and lots of deviation and creativity off the source material. The name's up in the air: I originally called it Alphabet Soup but that name is just a bit too bubbly for this mix (still considering that name though, just for laughs.) Anyways, give it a listen, and tell me what you think! :)

ReMix: https://www.box.com/s/c4a039aae41462de50a6

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz8NqZ4nZPM

• 2 weeks later...
Any critique, anyone?

I'll give you my one cent on the matter. :-P It's one of my favorite sources from 2nd gen, so I know it pretty well. Let's see...

I felt like the lead/melody was exposed without sufficient background just a touch too long at the beginning; I would've liked to have it come in a few seconds sooner. I get that it's a longer piece, and so the builds are going to/can take longer to get to where they're going... it just felt a little too long, even given that.

4:01-4:11 - Really liked this section. I felt like you could've gotten to this point a second or two sooner from the quiet section immediately before it, but that's definitely personal preference.

Overall, an enjoyable piece - I definitely liked the feel you were going for. The soundscape did feel a touch empty in a few places, but not painfully so. Wish I had more advice to give!

• 2 weeks later...
I'll give you my one cent on the matter. :-P It's one of my favorite sources from 2nd gen, so I know it pretty well. Let's see...

I felt like the lead/melody was exposed without sufficient background just a touch too long at the beginning; I would've liked to have it come in a few seconds sooner. I get that it's a longer piece, and so the builds are going to/can take longer to get to where they're going... it just felt a little too long, even given that.

4:01-4:11 - Really liked this section. I felt like you could've gotten to this point a second or two sooner from the quiet section immediately before it, but that's definitely personal preference.

Overall, an enjoyable piece - I definitely liked the feel you were going for. The soundscape did feel a touch empty in a few places, but not painfully so. Wish I had more advice to give!

Thanks for advice on the length; I'll be looking into that. Anyone else have something to say about this mix? Critiques are very welcome indeed :)

Don't you even think about changing that name.

Since it's more of a generic dungeon theme in the game, if you want to make it specific to Alph, consider incorporating Unknown sprite noises or maybe the 'mysterious radio signal'. I can't remember what it sounds like, but it could help. The DS remakes altered the theme slightly as well, but it probably wouldn't be much help, especially since the mix is 'finished'.

Sounds great.

At 0:50, the wubs that come in, to me, seem to have too much reverb. Maybe back off a bit on the reverb and focus on getting a wider sound out of them. Try increasing the stereo width in whatever way works.

It would be great if the leads had some slow attack vibrato.

1:26 - the analog saw there might benefit from pluck-type sequencing.

I like the reverb idea going on at 1:51, but try reducing the high mids on the reverb and raising the highs. I think more of a hissy reverb might work better. Just not too much or it will interfere with the triangle wave lead there. If you had it at, say, 60%, raise it to about 70%, not 80%, etc. I do like the KeyFol there though (the timbre changing at different spots on the keyboard).

Don't you even think about changing that name.

Since it's more of a generic dungeon theme in the game, if you want to make it specific to Alph, consider incorporating Unknown sprite noises or maybe the 'mysterious radio signal'. I can't remember what it sounds like, but it could help. The DS remakes altered the theme slightly as well, but it probably wouldn't be much help, especially since the mix is 'finished'.

Sounds great.

I actually did incorporate the mysterious radio signal both at 3:38 and 5:19. They're in what I call the "soupier" sections because those sections are quieter and more reverby. The fact that you didn't hear them within the mix lets me know that they weren't exactly apparent enough; I'll bring those out just a little bit.

At 0:50, the wubs that come in, to me, seem to have too much reverb. Maybe back off a bit on the reverb and focus on getting a wider sound out of them. Try increasing the stereo width in whatever way works.

It would be great if the leads had some slow attack vibrato.

1:26 - the analog saw there might benefit from pluck-type sequencing.

I like the reverb idea going on at 1:51, but try reducing the high mids on the reverb and raising the highs. I think more of a hissy reverb might work better. Just not too much or it will interfere with the triangle wave lead there. If you had it at, say, 60%, raise it to about 70%, not 80%, etc. I do like the KeyFol there though (the timbre changing at different spots on the keyboard).

Oh my gosh, thank you for this. Stuff like this is exactly what I needed. :D Just one question, for the "reverb" you're referring to at 1:51, do you mean the lead or the entire mix reverb? Thank you so much! :)

Oh my gosh, thank you for this. Stuff like this is exactly what I needed. :D Just one question, for the "reverb" you're referring to at 1:51, do you mean the lead or the entire mix reverb? Thank you so much! :)

I was actually referring to the reverb decay mix on the layered clap/snare(s). There are some reverb effects plugins that have a low end mix, high mids mix, and highs mix. For example, take a look at this:

http://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/uhbik-a.jpg

What I had said above is right above the "u-he.com", in case that visual helps you in understanding anything you hadn't before.

The type of reverb mix I was suggesting has about 10% lows, 60% mids, and 70% highs, if put in the most general way possible. You probably don't have something that does it exactly like what I'm talking about. :P

Hope it helps! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I was actually referring to the reverb decay mix on the layered clap/snare(s). There are some reverb effects plugins that have a low end mix, high mids mix, and highs mix. For example, take a look at this:

http://static.kvraudio.com/i/b/uhbik-a.jpg

What I had said above is right above the "u-he.com", in case that visual helps you in understanding anything you hadn't before.

The type of reverb mix I was suggesting has about 10% lows, 60% mids, and 70% highs, if put in the most general way possible. You probably don't have something that does it exactly like what I'm talking about. :P

Hope it helps! :D

As far as I know Garageband doesn't have that built in; could you recommend a (preferrably free) plug in that would help me with those functions?