Slender

Garpocalypse

A few thoughts regarding what Garpocalypse has said.

After playing Slender a few times this game [Amnesia: The Dark Descent] didn't seem too bad. However, compared to Slender, Amnesia was actually fun.

I didn't know what you were talking about then, and I now understand why. . . Some of my roommates played it at about 2:00 this morning with the lights off, and my stomach was up in knots. . . Yeah, the worst part is that big suspense hit when you see him, when you turn around and he's right freakin' there.

With Amnesia, you have at least the false sense of security provided by opening up your inventory or menu for a few quick breathers before going back into the nightmare. In Slender, there is no menu to run to, unless you want to start over.

I'm going to play it one more time when i get home, before the sun goes down, with the tv on, and reggae music playing. Might need to invite a few friends over too. Then maybe i can get through it. :)
Heck, I showed it to a few friends just barely in BROAD DAYLIGHT, and I still jumped when I ran into Slender Man.
So why am i now downloading the Amnesia~The Dark Descent demo off of Steam?

Perhaps my comment will be better off in the Philosophy section, but I'll say it anyway. I felt the same way about Slender, even after getting freaked out by watching the IGN guys run through it. Why do we have such conflicting mental processes when faced with this kind of stuff, with nightmarish experiences like Slender and Amnesia? My brain says 'NO, don't do this,' but at the same time it pulls me in. . .

Perhaps my comment will be better off in the Philosophy section, but I'll say it anyway. I felt the same way about Slender, even after getting freaked out by watching the IGN guys run through it. Why do we have such conflicting mental processes when faced with this kind of stuff, with nightmarish experiences like Slender and Amnesia? My brain says 'NO, don't do this,' but at the same time it pulls me in. . .

It's exciting.

i think it has alot to do with getting out of our safe zone for a bit to make the day a little brighter.

very similar of a feeling when performing. I liked to perform, probably more so than many of my colleagues did when i was a student. Though i always had my doubts beforehand, especially right before the performance, the moments right after it all were the sweetest part of the experience.

Why do we have such conflicting mental processes when faced with this kind of stuff, with nightmarish experiences like Slender and Amnesia? My brain says 'NO, don't do this,' but at the same time it pulls me in. . .

it's the ridiculously intense adrenaline/endorphin rush we get straight to our brains. It's a super rush.

Blue Magic - ALWAYS check the bathroom second and those tank things right afterwards. Its better to just get those out of the way.

Amen. I figured that out the hard way. That place is the worst just because it's closed in.

Though the first time I got a game over was because I stood in the same spot. And I hadn't even gotten the first page. So note this: DON'T EVER STAND IN THE SAME SPOT. The only way to keep him from sneaking up on you is to keep moving.

I played the game twice and was done. Couldn't do it again. Deleted the file from my computer.

I think the worst part that makes it so freaky is the audio. That's what makes this game so freakishly scary.

I never actually screamed when playing the game. I only sat there stunned. Couldn't get to sleep for 2 nights. Had to turn on my radio and I was on my computer at like 3 in the morning hoping it would finally put me to sleep.