RWS - ReMixing With the Stars: Pilot Episode

MindWanderer

Not to segregate who's in on this but should we list our DAW as well?

I use Sonar and would like to be paired up with an advanced Sonar user for at least one round.

I don't think the DAW issue would be a huge obstacle but it could limit how effective the mentoring would be if the star isn't familiar with something a novice has no clue how to use right.

That's pretty much what I was thinking; surely if the 2 people are using different programmes it's going to make things more difficult?

Sure, sounds fun. You can add me.
Thanks. I guess anyone can look at your profile to find some samples, but if you want to add any specific examples of your focus(es), or any other info that would help folks choose you or not, please edit your post.

Regarding the DAW: If this is going to work as a competition, it would be a pretty crippling requirement to have everyone's tools match. But this is why this is a pilot episode. In the real launch there may need to be additional requirements. Perhaps the Star can only provide advice and not work on the actual mix file, or perhaps the only files they can send back and forth are midis and sound samples. Something to hash out later.

Thanks. I guess anyone can look at your profile to find some samples, but if you want to add any specific examples of your focus(es), or any other info that would help folks choose you or not, please edit your post.

I don't have a focus or style preference.

Perhaps the Star can only provide advice and not work on the actual mix file, or perhaps the only files they can send back and forth are midis and sound samples. Something to hash out later.

Just providing advice would make it no different than most other compos, since a lot of people enlist other pairs of ears to check their mixes anyways. I think passing a midi around would be the most ideal situation. There's also the power of skype+screenshare.

As a suggestion, even if you run out of stars, you might consider pairing together novices anyway. I understand that the point is supposed to be "the stars remix with the novices" but the range of expertise is so gigantic that getting people to collab is in itself a worthy goal - not all of the "novices" are going to truly be novices.

I mean, even the mere idea of collaborating with someone who doesn't use the same tools as I am is downright frightening and yet I realise that I'll have to figure something out if I commit to this.

As a suggestion, even if you run out of stars, you might consider pairing together novices anyway. I understand that the point is supposed to be "the stars remix with the novices" but the range of expertise is so gigantic that getting people to collab is in itself a worthy goal - not all of the "novices" are going to truly be novices.

I mean, even the mere idea of collaborating with someone who doesn't use the same tools as I am is downright frightening and yet I realise that I'll have to figure something out if I commit to this.

It's an idea, and the solution might be to somehow lower the bar for "stars," but the whole point is to get the most experienced remixers past some of their first hurdles, with the ultimate goal of getting them good enough to be posted. Pairing random people together would be a different sort of compo altogether.

Novices: Signups open tomorrow at 12:00 noon Pacific time. Please follow the instructions in the first post at that time.

Stars: Signups close tomorrow, same time. If you're interested and haven't said so yet, please post by then. From the original thread, we still haven't heard from Rexy, Neblix, or PROTO·DOME.

Stars: Signups close tomorrow, same time. If you're interested and haven't said so yet, please post by then. From the original thread, we still haven't heard from Rexy, Neblix, PROTO·DOME, or Geeky Stoner.

FYI Geeky Stoner would be a novice by your definition. I would also consider asking a mod to lock your original thread so people stop posting over there. :-)

It's an idea, and the solution might be to somehow lower the bar for "stars," but the whole point is to get the most experienced remixers past some of their first hurdles, with the ultimate goal of getting them good enough to be posted. Pairing random people together would be a different sort of compo altogether.

Novices: Signups open tomorrow at 12:00 noon Pacific time. Please follow the instructions in the first post at that time.

Stars: Signups close tomorrow, same time. If you're interested and haven't said so yet, please post by then. From the original thread, we still haven't heard from Rexy, Neblix, PROTO·DOME, or Geeky Stoner.

Oh did not know its tomorrow.

how is the braket system, do we stick with the same stars through out?

FYI Geeky Stoner would be a novice by your definition. I would also consider asking a mod to lock your original thread so people stop posting over there. :-)
Y'know, I -thought- so, but I figured that after I miscategorized Proto-Dome, -surely- I must have double-checked when I first put Geeky Stoner down....

@SonicTH: For now, this is a one-shot thing. If it works I'll come up with a "season" format, but this one will be one round, one partner, one bracket.

Star signups are closed. The participants are Rozovian, DusK, Flexstyle, Sir_NutS, Prophecy, and TheGuitahHeroe. That's six slots for novices.

Novice signups are now open. Even if you already sent me a PM before today or posted in this thread, send me a PM now with your preferences of Star and samples of your previous work. I have a few signups already, so get yours in soon before all slots are taken!

Did my signup count then? just making sure.

edit: oh nvm, I assume that it did since you said you already have a few signups. overreacted a bit, my bad D:

Yes... in fact, double-checking now, I realize that yours is technically only one that counts, since all others were sent in before noon PDT. However, since I didn't absolutely, unequivocally, no-room-for-misinterpretation, state in every place possible that signups began at noon, and no Stars signed up since Sunday, I'll accept the signups that came in earlier today.

Yes... in fact, double-checking now, I realize that yours is technically only one that counts, since all others were sent in before noon PDT. However, since I didn't absolutely, unequivocally, no-room-for-misinterpretation, state in every place possible that signups began at noon, and no Stars signed up since Sunday, I'll accept the signups that came in earlier today.

Oh thank you! I didn't even realize it was noon for when we had to send it in! I just thought it had to be the 17th!