RWS - ReMixing With the Stars: Pilot Episode

MindWanderer

Great idea, great competition

This.

I particularly like the idea of doing it more categorized/themed (i.e. "Beginnings" this time around), rather than simply saying "use this source" or "use this game/series," because I'm almost as excited to see what sources were chosen as I am to hear the actual mixes - I'm looking forward to a wide variety of sources, and I think there's also plenty of interesting potential for varied future themes, such as limiting it to tracks found in tomb areas, or music associated with optional bosses, underwater tracks, etc.

Out of curiosity, have you given any thought as to how the themes of future "episodes" will be chosen? Will the winners of the previous episode choose, will you involve the listeners in any way, or will you choose the themes yourself?

I'm working with Kuo to get this done in time.
One hour left, still hoping to get something from you. If you think you need a short extension (< 1 hour), let me know.
Out of curiosity, have you given any thought as to how the themes of future "episodes" will be chosen? Will the winners of the previous episode choose, will you involve the listeners in any way, or will you choose the themes yourself?
I think for season 1 I'll just make the choices myself, for the sake of 1) expediency and 2) not to give an advantage to the one who chooses it (e.g. they've already been working on something that fits the theme). PRC avoids that by not letting someone enter on their own choice, but I want to let folks participate every month for the whole season, if possible.

One hour left, still hoping to get something from you. If you think you need a short extension (< 1 hour), let me know.

It should be fine, but we did have a little bit of trouble with power outages this morning.

If we do need an extension it should just be for rendering/sending it in.

Edit: In with 10 minutes to go! Woo!

The mixes are available in the first post. Voting instructions soon.

Participants: I'd like a bit of narrative from each novice, please. What you did, how you did it, how your Star helped you, what you learned, etc. If you want to post a link to your source, that would be a good place for that, too.

Awesome, I'm listening now!

So our source was

from Valkyrie Profile with some
in the middle and a hint of
at the end.

The arrangement and recording were done by me, Sir_NutS did most of the production and made everything glue together quite nicely.

The arrangement went pretty smoothly; the recording not so much. The piano, for instance, was a last minute addition when I started having problems with my whistle's tuning.

Due to some fail email sending on my part (Well it was Windows Live Mail's fault really) our weekend communication was delayed until last night and the track didn't get mixed until this morning. Still, I think it came out pretty well considering he only had a few hours. A lot of the fullness of the track came from what he did and it sounds much more coherent than it did originally.

I learned a lot working on this, from both Sir_NutS and my own experimentation, but I'm not sure if there's anything specific that I can mention. It was more an overall learning experience.

Voting instructions up in first post. For redundancy:

Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order, use of source, arrangement, production, and enjoyability. Interpretation of the theme shouldn't be considered. You'll pick your three favorites, in order. Your first-place vote will get 3 points, your second-place 2 points, and your third-place 1 point. Participants (both Novices and Stars) may not vote for their own mixes, but participants who vote will get a free first-place vote added to their score.

I asked DarkeSword for a social group, but he suggested I use PMs instead. So that's the way we're going to do this. Please send me a PM with your votes, like this:

1. First-place ReMix

2. Second-place ReMix

3. Third-place ReMix

Comments: Not much to say about this one on my end. It was pretty much just the usual stuff, at first I was going to take this advantage to tackle an electronic song since Flexstyle was by my side, but because of a lot of work related stuff, I just didn't see myself having the time to try out a whole lot of new things.

The arrangement probably only took about 6 hours to put together honestly, this was over a period of 3 or 4 days though, since I feel like I get more inspired away from the computer screen rather than in front of it.

Fun stuff to put together, though. I sent over the arrangement to Flexstyle, and he did a LOT by upping the quality of the samples, replacing a few synths, and redoing the drums to give it a bigger more cinematic feel. The drums really brought a lot to the mix IMO. I loved them.

What I learned from this? That I really should look into better samples :P Really though, I think this song is going to really inspire me in the future to try and expand on what I already know by trying different instruments, synths, etc. to give my songs different feels. I also should start being a little more detailed in my songs, since Flexstyle showed me a little bit can go a LONG way.

Was super fun to work on. Glad I got to do this. I probably won't be on the novice side next time, unless you allow me to be (I just got a mix accepted, but this whole experience was super humbling and I think being a novice a little while longer will help a lot)

source:

(we used the riff at 5:13)