RWS - ReMixing With the Stars: Pilot Episode

MindWanderer

Having the same DAW is nice--Rozo and I used Garageband--but not having the same DAW doesn't mean too much. Really having the same DAW doesn't give you any advantage or disadvantage besides actually visually being able to see differences in the actual program the novice is used to. Had Rozo not been able to use Garageband, it would have been a minor problem. I would have sent him an mp3 or wav instead. We were prepared to work around it had Garageband project files not been plausible to send between each other. I don't think there should be any restrictions either way in reference to DAWs.

Example: Even though Cash and Change and I use the same DAW, we still used MP3s and WAVs, not project files, as a means to collaborate.

Such restrictions are not necessary. The compo should be kept as-is imo. It worked wonderfully.

I concur. :-)

Well, it wasn't easy, but I sent in my vote. Good luck everyone!

Table below, with the bonus points for voting omitted. I received votes from 23 people.

urdailywater was winning by a landslide late last week, with all but one voter ranking him first or second, with Tuberz and wildfire neck-and-neck for second. However, over the weekend and yesterday, urdailywater didn't get a single first-place vote, and it was wildfire that almost everyone voted for.

Everyone did a great job, though, with at least one first-place vote for everyone. urdailywater, congrats on winning this, and be happy with it since you're not eligible anymore. Lady Wildfire, congrats on being the top-scoring novice who still qualifies as a novice!

Thanks again to all the Stars for helping out, and please volunteer again when Season 1 launches! I was originally going to do that after PAX, but that'll be at the height of MMX madness, so probably October to give a couple of rounds of eliminations there first.

K	u	T	C	w	A
3 1 2
1 3 2
3 2 1
1 3 2
2 3 1
1 3 2
2 3 1
2 1 3
1 3 2
2 1 3
3 2 1
3 1 2
1 2 3
1 2 3
3 1 2
2 1 3
1 2 3
3 2 1
3 2 1
1 3 2
1 3 2
3 1 2
1 3 2

Yikes--I'm glad it ended up not being an issue for my team, but when I read that "voting is until Tuesday, August 14," I assumed that it would be in the evening, not at the very beginning of the day. That absolutely needs to be clarified, since today is still, if I'm not mistaken, August 14. In my (and, I suspect, many other people's) experience, whenever "until XX day" is mentioned, it's assumed that the period ends when the day does.

That said, congrats to all involved, and thanks to MW for moderating this pilot episode. :)

Yikes--I'm glad it ended up not being an issue for my team, but when I read that "voting is until Tuesday, August 14," I assumed that it would be in the evening, not at the very beginning of the day. That absolutely needs to be clarified, since today is still, if I'm not mistaken, August 14. In my (and, I suspect, many other people's) experience, whenever "until XX day" is mentioned, it's assumed that the period ends when the day does.

That said, congrats to all involved, and thanks to MW for moderating this pilot episode. :)

Since the voting started exactly one week ago at noon Pacific time, I assumed that it was going to close at noon too, but you're right, that probably should be clarified next time.

Sucks that you didn't get to vote :(.

Actually, as I'm re-reading the original post, I do see the phrase "all deadlines are at 12 PDT." So it was specified. However, it would be much more convenient to say "voting ends at 12 PDT on Tuesday, August 14," just because, personally, I don't want to have to read the entire post to get one small bit of information.

So yeah, small details. :<

Nice competition!

I'll make (short reviews) of the tracks:

Before the World Ends - I loved the natural sounding intro with the flute and guitar. I didn't know the source, but after listening to it, I felt it was nicely used.

Only thing I disliked were the drums. Very unfitting samples IMO, especially the snare which is just bad. I expected a more natural sounding snare. Also, the synth starting at 1:45 could use some filtering since it feels too "static".

Broken Wings - Good song, very dramatic. I wasn't that happy with the source usage since the original song has many sections and you elaborated on very little of it. Still, the section that you picked was nicely developed.

Production is very good (for my standards). A deserved winner.

Scarf Face - Fun song. The rock approach was cool, and fitting for the source.

Production wasn't that good in my opinion though, especially regarding the volumes. Drums are very important on rock songs, and they are very low here, making the arrangement feel a lot less powerful. Guitars were very cool though. Synths are a bit dry.

Upon New Shores - Source makes my nostalgia meter rise! I liked the different rhytm for the intro section, but I felt that the introduction of the drums was a bit too sudden, drowning the synth. Actually, drums are a bit too loud for most of the mix imo.

Arrangement is interesting, the electric guitar usage reminds me of Chrono Cross! Source is nicely used on the song.

Vertigo - Being very honest, I didn't listen to this one carefully. It's looong and I'm not a big fan of techno/electronic music... Also the link provided for the source wasn't very good. I'm not too familiar with this kind of music, so I can't really offer much advice.

The synth at 4:55 felt a little weak though. Most other stuff sounded nice.

Yo Momma - Nice source! And nicely arranged too.

At times I feel the song sounds a bit muddy, maybe because the synths are too similar. Maybe you could have used more varied samples for this.

I'm a novice, but I hope this helps!