RWS - ReMixing With the Stars: Pilot Episode

MindWanderer

I wasn't that happy with the source usage since the original song has many sections and you elaborated on very little of it. Still, the section that you picked was nicely developed.

I do want to mention that there is nothing in the OCR guidelines that says someone must use a certain percentage of a source track. As long as the submitted track uses some sort of discernible source material for at least 50% of the remix, it's kosher.

Plus, the song we picked was really more like 12 songs in one. :-P

Props to UDW for the arrangement, btw--all I did was write a new drum line, and replace some samples with my higher-quality stuff. Had a blast doing it!

I was actually afraid that some Starcraft fans weren't going to dig the arrangement. If I had known the source a little bit more, and maybe even had a bit more time to sit down and put in more parts I would have, but that was ultimately the section that stood out from the get go and what I went with.

Still glad that even though I didn't get to arrange a lot of it, that I did get to tackle a song from Blizzard finally. Their WoW soundtrack is amazing, and their Starcraft music is equally amazing.

I do want to mention that there is nothing in the OCR guidelines that says someone must use a certain percentage of a source track. As long as the submitted track uses some sort of discernible source material for at least 50% of the remix, it's kosher.

I didn't mean it in an "OCR" way :P

But it's true, the original song IS like many songs pasted one after the other. That leaves room for other remixers to tackle the other sections of the song.

I was actually afraid that some Starcraft fans weren't going to dig the arrangement. If I had known the source a little bit more, and maybe even had a bit more time to sit down and put in more parts I would have, but that was ultimately the section that stood out from the get go and what I went with.

If anything, for me it was the opposite - the only experience with StarCraft I've had at all was watching my neighbor play for like 20 minutes once in college, so I really enjoyed seeing what you were able to do with a piece unknown to me.

Actually, that's true of everyone's - they were all such interesting and (unknown to me) diverse choices. I said it earlier in the thread, but I really liked that aspect of this - the not knowing what sources to expect seeing.

Anywho. Congrats to all the participants, and extra congrats to the winners!

I felt the same way re: Broken Wings: It may have only covered part of the source, but it was a part that really could have been a whole piece on its own. I thought it worked really well. Besides, you don't have to look any further than WillRock's Countdown to Infinity to find a remix that takes only a tiny part of a source and does awesome things with it.

I felt the same way re: Broken Wings: It may have only covered part of the source, but it was a part that really could have been a whole piece on its own. I thought it worked really well. Besides, you don't have to look any further than WillRock's Countdown to Infinity to find a remix that takes only a tiny part of a source and does awesome things with it.

Or 14.5 West Coast Radio (EXPN Card Required) by PROTO DOME. My goodness is that catchy. And it just uses a little segment of the source, over and over with beats and sound effects. And it's awesome :D

• 3 weeks later...
Ugh, we have to judge? UUggghhh, fine.

ENTERING JUDGE MODE

I'll put up my eval here, but I'll judge in PM. However, it's late at night, and I might not send in the judging PM until later. (I'll probably edit this post here as people begin posting their sources)

I remember this source! Ah, sweet nostalgia.

I'm not a fan of the synth used for the opening notes, nor the slowing down/speeding up of the opening arpeggio like that. However, it's a clever re-instrumentation of the opening, and I feel like the guitar parts are well-written and performed. The mixing is good. No muddiness or anything like that.

aaand I still can't get used to that sudden slowing down of that synth. Oh well.

I'll fill these in when all the sources are posted

I still want this.