Previous FF6 Kickstarter *cancelled* BUT new one in the works!!

djpretzel

Quick question...did the idea for the kickstarter fundraising stem from trying to find a way to pay for the exuberant costs of printing and shipping physical copies of albums? In my experience on and leading albums this was a major PITA. It also posed a financial risk for those forking out the initial investment in making physical copies.

If that's true then the kickstarter project then is an easy way to cover these costs up front without forcing anyone involved with the site or community to fork out their money and "hope" to be reimbursed later.

_______

Glad to see the breakdown of the costs. :) Was hoping the majority wasn't going to studio time or session musicians. While I can understand the want for supreme quality on tracks; this part seemed to irk me a little bit. Mainly because there are several talented people on OCR who do actually have some mastering and studio session experience. Still digesting it personally.

Best of luck with the project. Looks like the artist roster has a really nice blend of styles. :)

When i first heard about this i was like "omg finally final fantasy 6 is getting an album" then facepalmed when i heard about the kickstarter

No offence but oh man kickstarter is becoming as cliche as reboots and remakes of old movies and games are becoming lately

i'm not a fan of the site seeing as they lack a paypal option and i'd much prefer the site to not know my card details like sony did.

one hack and its out there, at least with paypal i can cancel payments to them.

The other issue now is that you guys have hit your target within a day (congrats about that though guys, surprising isn't it :D) what will the proceeds go to now? will the CD production double perhaps?

Either way you guys have 28 days left to go. i wish you luck, if you get a paypal donation option available i will definitely donate too.

Good luck i cant wait to hear updates about it either way.

New reward unlocked!

We'll be posting an update to the Kickstarter itself, but since Dave is at work, you guys are getting the news here first.

Thanks to the outpouring of support and donations far exceeding our expectations, we'll now be producing a bonus FIFTH disc for the project, which of course will be included with the physical printing AND available as torrent. But this won't just be another CD of remixes; it's a whole DVD of goodies! We'll be including alternate mixes (such as karaoke/instrumental versions of vocal tracks), bonus tracks (like Jake 'virt' Kaufman's take on the entire opera suite in the style of Queen), audio stems/MIDIs, and more behind-the-scenes audio/video content. We can't wait to get started!

We'll be posting an update to the Kickstarter itself, but since Dave is at work, you guys are getting the news here first.

Thanks to the outpouring of support and donations far exceeding our expectations, we'll now be producing a bonus FIFTH disc for the project, which of course will be included with the physical printing AND available as torrent. But this won't just be another CD of remixes; it's a whole DVD of goodies! We'll be including alternate mixes (such as karaoke/instrumental versions of vocal tracks), bonus tracks (like Jake 'virt' Kaufman's take on the entire opera suite in the style of Queen), audio stems/MIDIs, and more behind-the-scenes audio/video content. We can't wait to get started!

Thus replacing our idea to buy Cuban cigars for the staff. I'll miss 'em. :'-(

Also, "worst case" scenario is that we have a huge surplus and are able to have the option to do physical runs of more albums in the future. I certainly would love to see copies of 'Teen Agent 2 : Teen Harder' out in the wild.

Or, y'know, a certain album about adolescent shelled reptiles that know martial arts.

like Jake 'virt' Kaufman's take on the entire opera suite in the style of Queen

Wait wait wait wait. WAT.

Not really been around OCR for quite a while now, but FFVI is just about my favourite game of all time, so I just have to get a physical copy of the album to go with my OST! Looking forward to it, guys!

i'm not a fan of the site seeing as they lack a paypal option and i'd much prefer the site to not know my card details like sony did.

one hack and its out there, at least with paypal i can cancel payments to them.

Kickstarter use Amazon to process payments, so you don't have to worry about Kickstarter getting hacked, at least.

Congrats on double the funding already! Man, I wish I was the one singing Celes' aria. It's my favorite piece and I even got my voice teacher to let me do it on my senior recital when I graduated from college. I'm sure whoever's lined up to sing it will do a stellar job though!

I understand some of the concerns people have listed regarding the legality of this project. I don't have the time to wade through the 9 pages of the subject so far. It's SUMMER!

Anyway, I do want to say if OCR didn't have 10+ years of being a non-for-profit organization, if it didn't have the silent endorsement of so many organizations and artists whose music is remixed and remembered here, this project would probably be cut down with a legal notice like so many other fan attempts at reviving or remaking videogames have been over the years.

For over a decade, OCR has been producing and exhibiting some quality work that lets us remember, re-experience, and re-discover music that would've been discarded and forgotten long ago by most. It has also been an outlet to let talented musicians show off their work and build some fans.

I'm thrilled that with this project OCR is not only producing what may be its most ambitious project to date, it's also doing it with the Final Fantasy that is still the most epic and amazing, IMHO.

If you don't like the project, don't worry, it'll cost you nothing to hear it. I'm happy to have the opportunity to play a very small role in this project by contributing via Kickstarter, and wish nothing but luck to all those involved.

Thanks OCR!

Hey, long time lurker here. Just want to add how excited I am for this project, and how sorry I am that this whole Kickstarter thing is causing a ruckus. I'm glad to have a way to support the site AND get a hard copy of what looks like the best album yet. Hopefully you guys don't run into any major legal issues or anything.

Over $40k?

Seriously guys, you should do this for every major album... it is going to be an awesome fundrainser.

Long live OCR!

Hmm, for every album? I dunno, there'd probably be quite some diminishing returns, if they did that, and people would likely get the wrong idea about OCR.

This is turning out to be one hell of a success, though.

Backed! It's the first time I give that much money, I think it's worth it.

(We definitely need an Opera remix with Draco's part sounding like

Ooooooow Seaaa-Remiiiiiiix...

Ooooooow... Seaaaa-Remiiiiiix...

I leave the rest of the lyrics to you. That would be so awesome in the 5th disc.)

Donated! I'm always happy to help out a site which has given so much love to VGM, and the community. And when rewards are added to that, even better! Keep doing what you do guys, you have my support and respect.

Wait so why is it that all the legitimate questions about where this $50k is going were deleted from this topic? That's the opposite of transparency....

Others have already linked to the other thread, but it might be wise to put a link to that thread on the first post. I'm sure Snappleman isn't the only person who is coming to that conclusion after not searching the site for a place where it'd make sense that these things would be moved to.