Previous FF6 Kickstarter *cancelled* BUT new one in the works!!

djpretzel

Where did you find that info? I didn't see anything about that on the Bandcamp page.

it's in the song itself. he tells his story and everything.

just listened. at between 10:00 and 11:00 on One Winged Angel + Ending + Bonus Track, he delves into how it was created. he doesn't mention getting the rights for sampling there like he does for capcom in the same track, but apparently there weren't any issues.

i misspoke on him getting the rights, but he talks about it right in the song.

I think the thing that has me most on edge is the lack of response from those in charge. I mean, I don't expect to get to know EXACTLY what's going on, but it'd be nice to at least get an inkling of how serious it is. Is this a "Just sit tight, it'll all be fine" issue or a "Petition Square-Enix" issue? I was really pumped for this thing.

That aside, if it IS a copyright issue, I know that I'd donate fifty bucks to a "Help OCremix obtain the legal rights to use the soundtrack of FFVI" Kickstarter. :P

I think the thing that has me most on edge is the lack of response from those in charge. I mean, I don't expect to get to know EXACTLY what's going on, but it'd be nice to at least get an inkling of how serious it is. Is this a "Just sit tight, it'll all be fine" issue or a "Petition Square-Enix" issue? I was really pumped for this thing.

I'm in charge.

The answer is "we're looking into it" because we are indeed still looking into it; we ask for your patience & trust, and we're definitely going to be filling everyone in as soon as it makes sense to.

No point wasting energy in speculating what could be awry.

I don't know much, but I would bet that getting worked up before any concrete info is given won't really help.

ALSO...

It seems to me that there is still going to be a lot of really great music put together and it's going to be FREE to anyone interested. That alone is still something to be excited about in my book. Right?

Forrest

it's in the song itself. he tells his story and everything.

just listened. at between 10:00 and 11:00 on One Winged Angel + Ending + Bonus Track, he delves into how it was created. he doesn't mention getting the rights for sampling there like he does for capcom in the same track, but apparently there weren't any issues.

i misspoke on him getting the rights, but he talks about it right in the song.

Mega Ran's Capcom-related releases are officially licensed. However, he doesn't have a license from Square-Enix for Black Materia. We talked about it pretty extensively with him a little while back.

No point wasting energy in speculating what could be awry.

I don't know much, but I would bet that getting worked up before any concrete info is given won't really help.

ALSO...

It seems to me that there is still going to be a lot of really great music put together and it's going to be FREE to anyone interested. That alone is still something to be excited about in my book. Right?

Forrest

This is all well taken it's just really weird to me. Pretty much for the exact reason you mentioned. I guess technically it has to do with profiting (emphasis on technically) from someone else's work, but an artist doesn't need permission for a cover as long as they give credit to the original writer/composer right? I realize remixes aren't covers but if anything that should reduce the copyright confusions. I dunno, it's just weird.

Sorry, I'm speculating. I'll stop that now.

I sure hope this gets resolved soon (we all probably feel that way...)

I wonder if Square-Enix saw the numbers and amount of support and thought "HEY! They shouldn't be receiving those funds, WE should!"

And then there was that whole deal with the Chrono Trigger Resurrection 3D remake project that got the official Cease and Desist order...

This is all well taken it's just really weird to me. Pretty much for the exact reason you mentioned. I guess technically it has to do with profiting (emphasis on technically) from someone else's work, but an artist doesn't need permission for a cover as long as they give credit to the original writer/composer right? I realize remixes aren't covers but if anything that should reduce the copyright confusions. I dunno, it's just weird.

Sorry, I'm speculating. I'll stop that now.

:D

Hopefully I didn't come off as condescending. Not at all my intent.

Pretty perplexing stuff, regardless. I've never dealt with kickstarter prior to this project, so I have no idea what their policies are other than the VERY nebulous jargon on the website.

Even in the extraordinarily odd event that the money goes away, the music is happening, and I think that's great. Not to speak for zircon or djpretzel, but the production and kickstarter were sort of peripheral, like "hey, how cool would it be to print art and CDs for people?"

Who knows if this is about litigious stuff or not? I guess I don't really care one way or the other.

I think I know what happenned here. From their ToS:

As a condition of use, you promise not to use the Service for any purpose that is prohibited by the Terms of Use or law. The Service is provided only for your own personal, non-commercial use (except as allowed by the terms set forth in the section of these Terms of Use titled, "Projects: Fundraising and Commerce"). You are responsible for all of your activity in connection with the Service. You shall not, and shall not permit any third party using your account to, take any action, or Submit Content, that:

• infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity, or violates any law or contract;
  • you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate;
  • is unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, deceptive, fraudulent, tortious, obscene, offensive, profane, or invasive of another's privacy;
  • constitutes unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters;
  • contains software viruses or any other computer codes, files, or programs that are designed or intended to disrupt, damage, limit, or interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment or to damage or obtain unauthorized access to any system, data, password, or other information of the Company or any third party; or
  • impersonates any person or entity, including any employee or representative of the Company.

I think I know what happenned here. From their ToS:

• infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, right of publicity, or other right of any other person or entity, or violates any law or contract;

If you'll permit my speculation, let me build on this by saying that it's very likely Kickstarter pulled the fundraiser on their own without having received any contact from Square in order to avoid any legal exposure. If this is indeed the case, resuming the Kickstarter fundraiser would require convincing them that this project isn't violating copyright. One way to do that would be to get Square to endorse the project (even at a very low level, sending a letter saying it's okay), but I would not want to establish the precedent that such endorsement (either free or paid-for) is required for rearrangement. The other way is to directly persuade Kickstarter that this is a legal thing to do. I'm not a lawyer, but I fear OCReMix's FAQ statement on this matter isn't sufficiently convincing. If anyone has a better way to legally justify what we do here, I'd love to see it, and I think it should go in the FAQ.

Just caught wind of what happened with the project. Really curious to know what's going on. I'm expecting not-so-good news though, seeing as the page no longer existing basically means that the kickstarter has been cancelled. Let's hope there's a flipside to it all, like Square-Enix actually funding and publishing the physicals.

No one is saying that's likely - or unlikely - we're saying we're looking into it and doing our best. We anticipate having an update for everyone early next week.

Just reminding everyone of this. We're not saying it's canceled, or not canceled. Give it a few more days.

how about going back to remixing songs without receiving donations that earn 70k+...

All just to burn a thousand cds and print some covers... haha

The songs have nothing to do with the Kickstarter. The music is getting done regardless.

lol, hey here's an idea...

how about going back to remixing songs without receiving donations that earn 70k+...

All just to burn a thousand cds and print some covers... haha

the kickstarter was a joke idea to start up in the first place.

Not to come off like a white knight here but this is an incredibly prickish post. OCR has been making free music for over 10 years and it's all been amazing. I personally thought the Kickstarter and the whole idea of the limited edition physicals and other rewards was, and is, an incredibly fun idea, and so I hope there's a way it can continue. Do you give crud to NPR for doing donation drives? Because frankly it's the exact same thing in spirit.

Now that I'm done feeding the (possible) troll, I just wanted to apologize to those in charge for seeming antsy and/or the speculation that I personally have done in this thread. It's merely odd, frustrating, and I really hope it can continue as planned (or start anew in some other way) because frankly I saw this as a chance to own a piece of OCR history. I know you guys are working hard on it, and I'm sure an amicable solution will be reached soon. Best of luck on it all. :)