Previous FF6 Kickstarter *cancelled* BUT new one in the works!!

djpretzel

Saw the update on the front page, thanks for that.

Man, screw Square-Enix. They're overzealous with their old IP because they haven't made anything worthwhile in years. If they can rerelease the same old games over and over and OVER with a fresh coat of paint for *profit*, fans can certainly do them one better by lovingly rearranging the music for *free*.

Where's the petition? The pitchforks? I'm in. Let's do this.

Edit: Oh, right. I have to wait to see if diplomacy fails. :( *puts out the torch*

Well, let's wait and see what happens. I'm sure there is more to the story then just the two sentences on the main page. I'm sure DJP will give us a more transparent explanation in this thread as to what exactly happened.

I'll do everything I can; for now the situation remains uncertain and we really ask that folks not speculate based on past events. When we say "actively working with" we mean it, so the update should be taken at face value, and we appreciate your support as we all hope for the best!

There's no sense in being upset with Square Enix. Each department within a corporation is just going to go all out with their responsibilities -- there's rarely an integrated mastermind against whom to inflame the villagers.

Also, the less we appear to be an angry mob of fans and the more we appear to be a cooperative community with knowledgeable representatives, the less protective they're likely to be. This sounds like an important, precedent-setting interaction.

There's no sense in being upset with Square Enix. Each department within a corporation is just going to go all out with their responsibilities -- there's rarely an integrated mastermind against whom to inflame the villagers.

Also, the less we appear to be an angry mob of fans and the more we appear to be a cooperative community with knowledgeable representatives, the less protective they're likely to be. This sounds like an important, precedent-setting interaction.

This. The better our interaction with SE as a community now, the better treatment we as a community can expect with other companies and entities in the future.

I've been kind of a Kickstarter fiend ever since the FF6 project started. So far, I've seen two 'similar' projects, one is art, one is music. I'm not trying to get anyone else in trouble but, I just don't understand where the line is drawn ..

Forgive me if I don't hold out an olive branch to IP lawyers who shoot first and ask questions later, if at all. "Just doing my job" is a crappy justification for dumping on a community project (or basically anything). It's wrongheaded bullying and disrespectful of their fans.

And yeah, SwordBreaker, I'm still bitter over Chrono Resurrection, too. Though I can understand that more than shutting down an explicitly not-for-profit project by an established group.

Fortunately, I don't represent the community in any way. I'm glad OCR is run by cooler heads, because it means this thing still has a shot.

The amount of hate being posted in this thread for Squenix is pretty silly, to be honest. Look at how many Squenix property remixes are on OCRemix, and continue to be there today. Look at how many albums have been made for Squenix properties that are on OCRemix, and continue to be there today.

Squenix was cool with it until they put up a kickstarter and raked in nearly a hundred grand off of Squenix's properties. They're just doing their job to protect their IP.

Forgive me if I don't hold out an olive branch to IP lawyers who shoot first and ask questions later, if at all. "Just doing my job" is a crappy justification for dumping on a community project (or basically anything). It's wrongheaded bullying and disrespectful of their fans.

No, it's really not.

Square-Enix could have snubbed this kickstarter out and had any number of their own official album releases come out in its stead. Be thankful that they are apparently having talks with OCR about allowing this album to take place instead of ordering for the removal of ALL FF content from ocremix.org. It sounds to me like Square is being a really good sport about this right now. I think people should stop with the disrespectful accusations. A company HAS to protect its intellectual property just like ocremix protects the intellectual property of its remixers. Like say, when a random person uploads our music to bandcamp and takes credit for it.

It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. It's unfortunate that ocremix had somehow not acquired the rights to use the FF6 music already, but now things should hopefully work out well and gosh darn it, maybe we'll get to see the Kickstarter page back up and the album will exist in a physical form.

I don't even know if the amount of money made is relevant. They probably would have protected their IP regardless of how much was being made.

It does make me wonder though, how did they find out about the project? Did someone blow the whistle?

Just by being a member and posting here you're representing the community. Unless you don't think you're a part of it at all?

I'm part of it as a 10-year fan and as someone who cares about how the community is treated/thought of, but this thread is basically the only one I've posted in for years. (I wish I had any musical talent whatsoever, because I'd be churning out ReMixes like nobody's business.) I guess I'm a very minuscule and unimportant representative...

Square-Enix could have snubbed this kickstarter out and had any number of their own official album releases come out in its stead.

Be thankful

instead of ordering for the removal of ALL FF content from ocremix.org.

A company HAS to protect its intellectual property

It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

Nope, I can't be thankful for this. I'm thankful they made a great game once upon a time, but unless they want to release a bunch of memorabilia, FF6 now means more to fan nostalgia than their bottom line. They're just burning goodwill here.

I find your perception of Square-Enix being "a good sport" interesting. We don't know what exactly happened unless/until DJP can tell us, but the fact that they *already* snubbed this project out suggests OCR was the one to initiate a conversation, to restore it. If SE was operating in good faith instead of in the presumption we were naughty, naughty fans, that seems like something you would do *after* negotiations fail.

And what exactly would it be protecting its intellectual property from? Noncommercial use? Creativity and fan love? If they were trying to slap down somebody selling newly printed copies of the game or Kefka-outfit hoodies (do want), that would be a legit argument.

But given that the express purpose of OCR is to raise appreciation of video game music as an art form, OCR is more likely to help than harm Square-Enix. They either didn't realize what the project was (which would hopefully make it being resumed more likely) or didn't care. That's a bad thing, not a good thing. That just contributes to the perception that they don't listen to their fans and hurts them.

Last time Square (re)released an FFVI album was 2004, right? And that was already 10 years after the game's release. Aside from Theatrhythm and Dissidia in minor ways, they're not doing anything to draw attention to the game or its soundtrack. OCR is, in the most loving and non-confrontational way (excluding me) possible. It's not in their self-interest to shut that down.

Anyway, I originally came here for answers, to vent a little, and to support the community. I don't want to get into a protracted argument about IP abuse or make anyone feel like I'm hurting the project's chances, so I'll resume lurk mode. Best of luck.