Previous FF6 Kickstarter *cancelled* BUT new one in the works!!

djpretzel

Congrats @David and everyone else involved that OCR can start a new Kickstarter and solved the Problems with Square-Enix.

Also thanks to Square-Enix for letting us fans get such a fan work dedicated to one of your best games of the past ever including a physical version of the upcoming album / tribute project.

well that seems dumb. what harm is a tiny image doing?
Maybe Square-Enix objects to us displaying a copyrighted image belonging to them and calling it a mascot since lawyer-types could construe that as us claiming Square is endorsing our site. Moreover, we collect revenue through banner advertisements and fundraisers, and the argument could be made that both are boosted by the presence of Square's imagery on our site, yet our use of said imagery is unauthorized and we don't share any of the revenue with them. Shrug! Maybe that all changes now. Maybe the removal of the images is temporary until a licensing agreement is in place, similar to the suspension of the Kickstarter fundraiser. Yeah yeah, speculation... We'll just have to wait and see. I'm just arguing that it's not really all that dumb to remove the images.

Not really, there are different words in the English language for a reason. They have different meanings and connotations.

Yeah, but no matter what you call it, it could be said that the usage of their characters gets this site funding, regardless of what they're called or how untrue that statement actually is. In addition, how many new users would know we call those "mascots" or whatever? I sure didn't when I joined; I just thought it was a nifty tribute.

No matter what you call them, his point stands.

I believe what Derek is trying to say is,

9e9.gif

When I first saw this in my email, I had to click through the link to see the image, and I was really hoping it was the Fry "Shut up and take my money" macro.

And yes, it definitely sums up my stance on this topic. You guys keep on doing whatever it takes to keep the site awesome and keep the projects rolling, and I'll keep throwing my money at the screen until you guys get what you need.

Maybe Square-Enix objects to us displaying a copyrighted image belonging to them and calling it a mascot since lawyer-types could construe that as us claiming Square is endorsing our site. Moreover, we collect revenue through banner advertisements and fundraisers, and the argument could be made that both are boosted by the presence of Square's imagery on our site, yet our use of said imagery is unauthorized and we don't share any of the revenue with them. Shrug! Maybe that all changes now. Maybe the removal of the images is temporary until a licensing agreement is in place, similar to the suspension of the Kickstarter fundraiser. Yeah yeah, speculation... We'll just have to wait and see. I'm just arguing that it's not really all that dumb to remove the images.

My thoughts exactly. Folks get really flared up, but I'm willing to bet if any one of us had intellectual property we depended on to sustain our livelihood, we would protect it much the same.

• 2 weeks later...
You know if the issue is with using Characters... you could simply use the "original" mythological characters at least that Espers are directly based on... because just like nursery rhymes, there is no copyright.. HELL even True Blood got in on Ifrit & Bacchus.

True Blood's Ifrit was awesome. Chop out that entire storyline of the show and call it Final Fantasy VIII-2 and I'd literally throw all of my money at the screen.

The new Kickstarter is probably going through some kind of approval process, which from what I've heard, takes quite a time. Just a matter of being patient I suppose. We could talk about True Blood in the meantime. OH MAN, did you see that cliffhanger? How are they gonna fix this for the next season?