Marble gardens (sonic 3)

ultimasky

This is marble dreams. Im not at all versed in automation or any of that stuff, im more of s straight up composer, so dont expect much for fancy techno stuff. im proud of this one because i didnt even need to listen to the song to rewrite it from scratch. Goes to show how much of this game i played as a kid. Funky ending solo, and some melody changes, including a few riffs that arent from the original.I suppose my retro mind thinks it would be a travesty to change this song too much, but i hope you like it! also im really eager to write solos and stuff for anyone who is a good mixer, but not the best composer. get at me, i have lots of spare time at work to write and dabble!

http://soundcloud.com/ty-pearson-1/marble-dreams

Sorry for taking a while to get to your remix, I've been a bit on the busy side lately. Back on topic, this is some pretty groovin' stuff dude!:-) I really like your choice for the bass. Personally, I think there might bit a little too much delay on it, but it has a nice feel to it. Your percussion has a nice punch, but I noticed a severe lack of hi-hats. Those are really helpful when your trying to get more variation and I would highly recommend adding those to the arrangement.

I think your choice for the lead instruments are really interesting, but it might be a good idea to play with the frequencies on those. nearly all of them sound kind of muffled, and I think they would sound awesome if they had more of a crackle to them. For example, at 0:05 when you have that little arp accompanying the bass, I really like how you made it crackle at the end, and I think you should try doing some more of that stuff throughout the whole arrangement. At 0:29 there are little plucked notes that come in to work with the lead, but I think those are a bit on the loud side. It might help to back those off so that you can still hear them, but they are still hidden slightly by the lead. Remember that those notes are there to give a better presence to the mix, not take complete attention.

The pad that comes in at 1:18 is a good addition, and I think that it gives a nice full sound. However, it sounds like it's clipping. I like to use pads to take up unused frequencies, and it sounds like the range you have the pad playing in is already taken up by other instruments. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring the pad up an octave and turn the volume down a bit.

Those solos you have playing at the end are awesome dude! :D They really help shake things up and I think they add a ton to the mix. I hope I didn't discourage you with my tidal wave of feed back, but I think making some changes would really help this track out. Marble garden definitely deserves more love!

Dude, words cannot express how valuable your feedback is. i was really concerned about the pad cutting there, if thats what it takes to clean it up for sure i will reduce or change the frequency. as for the leads and stuff, most of those crunches are actually super fast descending notes, so its really compositional laziness on my part not having more of that, but as you say, the song deserves more love! lol i cant say enough how much i appreciate the feedback! thx!