Steam Summer Sale 2012

Holy shit, portal 2 for $5.

That's a deal no matter what.

Also, if you haven't gotten most (or even all) of them yet, the Value Complete pack is only $50. Ususally it's $100, and even then, that's still a good deal, because with it, you get the following:

Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2

ALL FOR $50.

Interesting article someone posted on Facebook:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74220/origin-boss-steam-sales-cheapen-intellectual-property

TL;DR - EA and GOG complain that having crazy 50-75%-off sales so often isn't beneficial to companies in the long run because then customers never buy at full price.

Although it should be noted that GOG is finishing up their crazy summer sale as we speak. :P

Edit: Interesting excerpt from the GOG interview:

Heavy discounts are bad for gamers, too. If a gamer buys a game he or she doesn’t want just because it’s on sale, they’re being trained to make bad purchases, and they’re also learning that games aren’t valuable. We all know gamers who spend more every month on games than they want to, just because there were too many games that were discounted too deeply. That’s not good for anyone.

There’s a counter argument to that, of course, which is that sales encourage people to try games that they’re not sure about. And there’s a certain truth to it, but I think that you need to reach a happy medium between giving someone a chance to take a risk without feeling like they’ve gotten a bad deal, and pricing things so cheaply that you tell gamers, “this game I made isn’t worth very much.”

I can definitely identify with that first paragraph...

I agree - I remember I used to frequent CAG (http://cheapassgamer.com/), and I'd get in on some unbelievably good deals. However, I would play games less as a result because I'd have all these options and not enough time to play them. In addition, I would often not know what game I would want to play next, leaving me to decide to do something else instead.

It is also why I don't pirate games - same mentality due to having such wide accessibility to games.

Interesting article someone posted on Facebook:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/74220/origin-boss-steam-sales-cheapen-intellectual-property

TL;DR - EA and GOG complain that having crazy 50-75%-off sales so often isn't beneficial to companies in the long run because then customers never buy at full price.

Although it should be noted that GOG is finishing up their crazy summer sale as we speak. :P

Edit: Interesting excerpt from the GOG interview:

I can definitely identify with that first paragraph...

Valve's response: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-11-valve-counters-eas-steam-sales-cheapen-intellectual-property-accusation

I am so sick of Steam doing this crap. I'm scraping for my free time as it is.

Things are going to get really really bad for me if they discount the witcher2. I've been putting that one off for awhile.

I voted for Arkham City to get the discount, if that helps any. :P

Interesting, I didn't realize Valve responded to that. Good for them. EA are idiots. Anybody that says Valve's marketing strategies are bad are idiots. The proof is in the gobs and gobs of money that I constantly throw at Valve that I wouldn't otherwise if not for these sales. It's why I own 2 games (grudgingly) on Origin as opposed to like 200+ (or something like that) on Steam.

I was horrified to see the sale started today. Always such a temptation... XD

I am going to hold out and check each day for daily deals. If something I want is suuuuper cheap I'll probably pick it up. As is I already have quite a few games I need to finish... I am hoping to see Mass Effect as a Daily Deal though, would give me an excuse to at least try it out.

I mean, from a consumer standpoint, their marketing guys are idiots. Also, the two games I own are ME3 and Syndicate, I didn't work on either. :P

Anybody who sees Valve making piles and piles and piles of money and then says some uppity remark about how they don't know what they are doing and how they're hurting the industry (despite getting MORE people to buy games AND combating piracy at the same time) are just not seeing things in an adaptive, intuitive way. They're seeing things with some business degree that probably pre-dates the internet and the way modern consumerism, especially of digital content has gone. Not to mention how fast the game market generally moves. Games get hyped for a year, then they come out, and within a couple months, players have already moved onto the next game. So throwing something that I was mildly interested in but ultimately didn't care enough to shell out $50-60 to play on sale for 50-75% off is a great way to convince me to give them my money anyway.

And just to clarify, I didn't work for EA. I didn't even work for BioWare. I simply worked for Jack Wall. So I'm allowed to smirk at some short-sighted marketing guy's silly perspective :)

Carry on.

On topic, so far I've picked up MW3, Rayman Origins, Tobe's Vertical Adventure, and World of Goo.

I'm holding out for Crysis 2, Alan Wake, Black Ops, and maybe Skyrim (which I only don't have b/c I know I won't have the time to play it for quite a while yet.)

Doesn't Origin have "deals", where they offer a game and DLC and some other stuff, all in one package, at a price lower than the separate prices combined?

That's kind of like a sale, I would think.

So, if EA drops the price on their games to get more people to buy it, it's a business strategy. If it's Valve, it's ruining the industry.

Got it. Thanks for making that make sense, EA. I was worried for a minute.