OUYA: A $99 Android console meant to open up console gaming

Arcana

Another article critical about the pitch. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

They don't think the console will ever get made.

Obviously a industry-wide conspiracy to keep it from being made. Have all the big shots like Penny Arcade and /vg/ stop it before it can take over.

Don't you sheeple see? THEY want you to think it will be a failure. If you think it, you believe it! IF you believe it, it becomes TRUE!

Fight the power!

OK, but seriously, this thing seems perfect for ROMs. It has the necessary power and open development to make for one hell of a retro game system emulator.

For what it's worth, there's a big difference between being cautious/skeptical and "hating". Interesting how often people misconstrue one for the other, particularly in defending video game consoles (even hypothetical ones, evidently).

Very very true. I'm a blend of cautiously skeptical and cautiously optimistic.

Optical. No wait. Skeptimistic.

There are a lot of what if questions and such but I'm not putting down my $99 just to get a console. I'm donating my cash with the hope that this will come to fruition and help the gaming market as a whole. Sure, it could fail but there's also a chance that it won't. It's pretty easy to argue both ways on this one.

I understand that there's a trust issue with OUYA since there's not a whole lot of concrete evidence to support what they're claiming. I'd probably be more skeptical if these guys were some nobodies from Nigeria. I think they're current goals are extremely optimistic but only time will tell whether or not they have the ability to do this and I'm willing to give them the chance to prove it.

In the end, anything can be a failure no matter who is behind it. All of the big boys have had their share of bad R&D investments. One thing is of sure, this will most certainly fail if consumers don't back it and that's often the case. That's what my $99 is going towards. I'm an investor in this and I know that these things down't always pan out. That's the sort of mind set I think people need when throwing their money on a Kickstarter.

Edited by theshaggyfreak

How much will games cost? Many games by indie devs end up selling on the cheap side - is that enough to sustain the company & allow it to expand?

Piracy - Android can facilitate it through rooting relatively easily.

Well considering they mostly want Free to Play titles, mostly nothing. This is a place for Android / Indie games to be put on a TV. They shouldn't cost more than what you are already paying for Android / Indie games

Piracy isn't a concern and is not even a real problem in the first place, just a scapegoat. You can pirate anything (pc, consoles, iOS/Android devices, handhelds, etc) people are still making money off game development.

If they are pushing free to play in the first place, again piracy isn't a concern.

1 GB of RAM makes me vary cautious about all of this. I sincerely hope they can pull this off. I doubt it will be able to run many current AAA titles

PS3/360 have less than a gig of ram (256MB RAM / 256MB VIDEO on PS3, 512 MB shared on 360). AAA games are being made for them all the time. I'm not sure if the Tegra 3 is exactly PS3/360 level, but RAM isn't a problem

If you look at some of the higher end games on iOS/Android devices, thats what you should expect here if thats your cup of tea.

But high end AAA gaming isn't what this is about anyways, its about indie devs and getting their game on a TV easier.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I really just don't see the market for this, and I'm not sure it's making big publishers or manufacturers sweat.

Sure, the thing has made a bunch of money in a relatively quick time frame, but look how many backers there are. As of this post, it still hasn't even broken 40,000 supporters. If I were working at a console manufacturer, the first thing I'd be thinking is "well, there go a few thousand idealists with a pipe dream." Where's the market research for this thing? How well are they expecting to do? I don't even know that they'll sell 100,000 units in less than 4 months.

Several people here have mentioned who this system might be for, and while there's a bit of dissent, I agree that if you're trying to do the gaming that this thing is promoting, chances are you already have a PC and Steam, and if you want to game on a TV in a living room, you can probably set up an HTPC or build your system with small form factor in mind. I think most people who enjoy indie games have the means and the know how to come up with their own solutions to satisfying their tastes. How many people does that leave? Let's face it, gamers either involved in or that enjoy indie games certainly aren't the mainstream audience. I see this thing being very, very niche.

This thing isn't really for me, but if it actually delivers on its promises, then it MIGHT shake up the industry, but that's a really big "if".

I'm squarely on the skeptimistic side of this one.

you can probably set up an HTPC or build your system with small form factor in mind

And that'll run you at least $400 for a new box that has a reasonable amount of power (enough to, for example, play back 1080p video).

A big appeal with the console is the low price point. You could also get a Nexus 7 with an HDMI cable. You could also get an iPod Touch and the TV-Out. You could get a Wii. They're either going to cost you much more than $100 (usually twice as much) or they're not open and don't let you run what you like (as on the Wii).

Your argument appears to ignore the fact that you can get all those things in one place given that Ouya delivers what it promises.

so you can get what you already have everywhere else already. for only 100 dollars? what a steal!

why make a console that does absolutely nothing new and limits the kit to pretty much indie only. who is going to make money off of this? indie games can't pay big licensing fees and selling hardware while making no money off of software is terrible business.

i also see no future in this. anyone who is a gamer and wants this already has it. it's cool to see it in a neat little package but any established gamer is not going to spend 100 dollars for the same low budget games he/she already likes. and already small and taking-a-risk indie developers aren't going to put their game to pasture on the smallest possible market.

who wins here?

i also see no future in this. anyone who is a gamer and wants this already has it. it's cool to see it in a neat little package but any established gamer is not going to spend 100 dollars for the same low budget games he/she already likes. and already small and taking-a-risk indie developers aren't going to put their game to pasture on the smallest possible market.

I see no future in the PS3. Anyone who is a gamer and wants one already has a 360.

I see no future in the 360. Anyone who is a gamer and wants one already has a PC.

Android devs already have to accommodate dozens of devices, what's one more?

why make a console that does absolutely nothing new and limits the kit to pretty much indie only. who is going to make money off of this? indie games can't pay big licensing fees and selling hardware while making no money off of software is terrible business.

Yeah, indie games are definitely terrible business.

*AHEM*

I just fail to see the appeal of this system. If I want to play games from my PC on my TV, I just plug in my DVI-HDMI converter cable. Retro emulation, indie games, AAA games, I can do it all from my TV for.....$40.

Why would I spend over $100 for a device that does the same things?

There are TONS of people (such as me) who got really tired of spending the time and money keeping their computers up to date so that they can play the latest games to their full potential. Not everyone wants to mess about with complicated setups just to play a game. I don't feel that this project is trying to compete with the PC computer gaming market at all. The people behind OUYA are trying to create a gaming environment in the living room that will give a larger share of developers access to that demographic. I support this because I want to support the gaming world in general. Again, I think too many people support a Kick Starter because they want to get something. Giving has it's rewards too.

A PC isn't a very cost-effective way to play video games compared to consoles. Not everyone has the knowledge or desire to build their own PC. Not everyone has a PC set up next to their television. Not everyone has a PC that can play games well. Not everyone likes to use a PC to play games. Hell, I'm sure there are still people out there that don't even have a PC but would be interested in something like the OUYA. I definitely see a market niche that could be filled, and apparently so do 39,000 other people.

A PC isn't a very cost-effective way to play video games compared to consoles. Not everyone has the knowledge or desire to build their own PC. Not everyone has a PC set up next to their television. Not everyone has a PC that can play games well. Not everyone likes to use a PC to play games. Hell, I'm sure there are still people out there that don't even have a PC but would be interested in something like the OUYA. I definitely see a market niche that could be filled, and apparently so do 39,000 other people.

^^^^^^^^^^

I just fail to see the appeal of this system. If I want to play games from my PC on my TV, I just plug in my DVI-HDMI converter cable. Retro emulation, indie games, AAA games, I can do it all from my TV for.....$40.

Why would I spend over $100 for a device that does the same things?

Where's the "over $100" come from?

And what happens when your girlfriend wants to use the TV? Are you going to unplug and replug all your cables and drag your PC between your bedroom and the living room every time you want fullscreen and surround sound?

Where's the "over $100" come from?

And what happens when your girlfriend wants to use the TV? Are you going to unplug and replug all your cables and drag your PC between your bedroom and the living room every time you want fullscreen and surround sound?

Well, one could always just hang out with significant other instead of gaming. I hear people do that these days. ;)