OCR00588 - Secret of Mana "Dirge for the Frosty Plains"

orkybash

Secret of Mana 'Dirge for the Frosty Plains'

I would have to say that, more than anything, this mix will go down in OC history as the first mix Matt Pollard submitted after the ReMixer Exodus. But, I'm here to review music, not politics, so I'll just say that I would highly recommend this. Very ambient, soundtrackish... however you want to describe it, it's good. However, it's a bit to slow for something I'd listen to regularly - this is one of those songs that you just ride along with, not able to remember what happened 10 seconds ago except that you enjoyed it. So anyway, I'd download it cause it's cool, even though you might not listen to it as much as other remixes on the site.

• 2 months later...

A melancholy tune with a few types of strings. Almost makes me want to cry. I really like this one, but it just has this tendency of slipping from my memory. Probably because the sound is so minimalist, but it works very well. The quiet howling wolf sounds are barely audible, but they're a nice addition. I think you should get this one and play it when you're deep in thought. I've added it to MY playlist and will probably listen to it over and over again. Can't say I like the way the song just kind of disappears out from under you like a trap door, as it leaves me wondering, "Huh? It's over? When did that happen?" A very nice one, mp. Bring us some more, eh?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Wow. Somehow this got past me. I thought I had listened to all the Secret of Mana remixes on this site. This is very nice. Good work.

I can't believe there are only 4 reviews for this.

You mirrored my thoughts exactly Ork; I loved this tune when I heard it... I don't see how it managed to slip past me because I also thought I heard all of the SOM tracks. It's one of my favourite songs and it's very sensitively and professionally put together. Very nice. 9.5/10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the most melancholy and solitary mix I've ever heard on OCR, and I mean that as the highest of compliments. An utterly beautiful song that conjures up mental images of slowly dying worlds, vast emptiness, abandoned cities, and the sense that something irreplaceable has gone missing, that someone, somewhere, some lonely drifter wandering through all these surreal, barren and beautiful landscapes has underdone a journey filled with hardships and returned ultimately changed. And that really resonates deeply with me at this point in my life.

That this was the first mp mix after the 'Exodus' only seems to support these imaginings.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Been a while now since I've played the game, but the melody sounds exactly like something that would be in SoM. Very smooth and chill arrangement, it's a little sad with strings, piano and depressed howls far beyond the horizon. I don't think i have much to say that hasn't been told, I thought this piece would contain some material from the winter area in the game, but that would have made it too happy I guess.

A very emotional piece, good job mp. :D

This song will do nothing but calm you down. Don't take this the wrong way, I mean that in a positive light! Words that come to mind off the top of my head when listening to this song:

Smooth

Chill

Snow

Relax

Soothing

This is just a list of words. Take them as you will, but this remix is perfectly set to the mood it's title tries to convey. I love this song and applaud it's creator loudly for making such a smooth, ambiance mix. Keep it up!

• 9 months later...

This was the mix that I discovered that lead to me OCR, so I'm already biased there. I'm even more biased bc this is completely friggin awesome. More specifically the mood that was created. mp really took the source and made it even more emotive, doin that is extremely hard to do.

The little voices around 1:41 really sound pretty sweet. The new lead synth while being more aggresive doesn't change the mood.

I gotta say overall the combination of the soundscape, variation, and simplistic writing are amazing.

• 1 year later...

Completely melancholy, this has a distinct feeling of isolation with it's barren soundscape. It's beautiful, and the minimalist presentation lends each element that much more weight. There is a distinct anticipation for each note in the phrase, and the delivery makes repeated listens a lot better. This is very easy to loop for hours without it getting grating in the least.

The instruments chosen are perfect, and the wolf howling adds a bit of a throwback to the game. I remember fighting wolves for hours to level up my weapon skill. :P

Overall this is a fantastic mix, and really brings out the strengths of the original track, while adding a personalized spin to it.

My one complaint is that the synth at the end only appears there. Either it should appear where it does currently and then have piano or a lead instrument we have already heard come in to close out the track, or have the synth appear earlier on, so it feels more like it belongs. Right now it shifts to synth only and then trails off. Not the best ending to the track, though it can work if you loop the song repeatedly I suppose.

Overall very good work, a bit of a hidden gem here. :-)

The tremolo-ed Rhodes is indeed very Portishead-esque. The drums, the swelling strings and the wolf sound effect are also very nice. This is a very very nice mood piece. I like how brief it is. It's not indeed superbly memorable (lots of posters seem to have forgotten about it and then rediscovered it.) On thing is that it's quite subtle, but it's also quite bgm/intermission -like. This doesn't detract from it's quality, of course.

--Eino

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dripping with ambiance and a wonderful blend of peace and sadness. It's that perfect balance of mood and chillness that makes this such a pleasant listen.

It's harmonious, dare I say immersive, music. I don't quite know how fitting this is as a dirge, but whatever.

This mix is a little on the subtle side and it's easy to pass this one by, but it would be a shame to. The ingredients that have gone into this are seemingly ageless, and sound as tranquil as they ever did. I'm a huge fan of whistles in ambient pieces, so this was always going to suit me to a tee.

Don't let the small reach of this mix allow you to pass over this one. It well deserves some more listens.

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00588 - Secret of Mana "Dirge for the Frosty Plains"