OCR02467 - Final Fantasy XI Online "Paradis"

djpretzel

At first I was like "deng it's long ya right I'm gonna listen to the whole thing, and I'm not even familiar with the source track" .. but then I listened and listened some more and then I heard a nice significant change in the ambience and drums and I looked at the vid and it was already past 5 minutes! Apologies for the run-on sentence ..

Then I accidentally clicked out of the youtube preview tab so I quickly remedied it by downloading. Nice mix yo.

...as an administrator/bureaucrat on a rather active fanfiction wiki, and a regular MMO player, I disagree with the statement that DJP put forward. It's all about the amount of time and money you are willing to invest in the game in question. Granted, I'm not the sole and primary admin on the wiki in question, there's three of us, although as the longest-active, I get the big decisions, and this is in comparison to DJP, the founder of a site of a similar magnitude. (the wiki has ...well, nine thousand and eight hundred pages between roughly two hundred active users. Not comparing it to here, I'm jus' sayin.) Hence why I only really play MMOs when school allows, not having a job and all...

Anywho, onto the mix! I love it. It's the sort of music you can work/write/play to, without once really being distracted by the outside world. As I listen, I don't even think I'm truly paying attention, I'm just feeling and experiencing the world he's created through music.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of FFXI's soundtrack - I didn't find any track memorable, although I'm sure those who have played & still play FFXI extensively probably will appreciate the track on a deeper level than I am able to.

That said, mv does a great job providing a chill mix here, laid back and with more of an ambient nature to it. I find the lead synth is an interesting choice, with its soft nature & yet it stands out apart from the rest of the instrumentation for me, which is also a mix of organic and mechanical instrumentation. The song transitions beautifully from the mechanical instrumentation having a prominent part to primarily featuring the strings, piano, and choir, emphasizing a trance-like element to the song.

This song displays some excellent nuances throughout, and I highly recommend it!

I have to say. Just last night I was listening to Heaven's Tower for the sole purpose of relaxing after a few stressful days. Then today I check OCR to find this waiting for me. mv you just made my week 10 times better.

@Bahamut you're more right than you probably know. It's expected that people who have played a game before are going to appreciate it's soundtrack, source or remix, a lot more. But FFXI wasn't your typical MMO. I can't say too much about how the game feels these days... but back when I played it the game had a very unique feel to it.

You could spend your time focused on leveling to cap, but that wasn't the focus at all. The world was huge, and there was an endless amount of content. People played the game religiously for 5+ years and still found things to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that FFXI wad designed to compliment any pace for any player, and for a lot of them, sitting down in your favorite zones listening to the music was a past time. The soundtrack was pretty much composed around every zone to make them more unique. i.e. Gustaburg had an arid desert theme going. I can only give proper credit where it is due, to Kumi

Tanioka for helping make FFXI unforgettable.

mv don't let it be 7 years before your next submission :)

Absolutely exquisite. This really follows in the footsteps of Disco Dan's "Green Amnesia" in the way the instrumentation starts out very subdued and low-key, but eventually works up to a more energetic D&B pace while never sacrificing the relaxing, lush vibe that it started with. I'm absolutely in love with the approach and I think you pulled it off excellently.

This is an instant classic for me. Glad to see you back in the community again :-)

• 3 months later...

This has kinda the same thing going as TimeChill in my mind; there's some really nice flow going on, but the percussion - particularly, that SNARE DRUM - is wayyyy too prominent. It punches straight into the foreground, which kind of bugs me, especially as it is not nearly so interesting as the other stuff going on. That being said, I've had TimeChill on playlists for about eight years now, and I expect this to join it for a similarly long time...

• 4 months later...

This track just came up on my massive 3,500 song OCRemix only playlist for the first time, and now it's going to be on repeat for the next 16 hours while I grind out on a 3D modeling computer project.

I love tracks that not only sound nice, but feel nice too. This track sells both of those within the first 36 seconds and only gets better.

Props mv, this is probably my favorite track from your list.

• 5 months later...

Man, this is some pretty chill stuff. I can dig the idea of just laying back and relaxing to this for a while. Just kinda washes over you, even with the snare as strong as it was. The changes the song made as it went on was great for making work for the whole eight minutes.

• 6 months later...

This is an example of when OCremix members do it right: not merely fetishizing an existing tune by transplanting it to another genre or 'modernizing' it, but actually using the existing tune as a basis to develop some truly beautiful music.

Too many remixers ignore the music-maker's equivalent of the hypocratic oath:

"First of all, make good music".

This is an example of when OCremix members do it right: not merely fetishizing an existing tune by transplanting it to another genre or 'modernizing' it, but actually using the existing tune as a basis to develop some truly beautiful music.

Too many remixers ignore the music-maker's equivalent of the hypocratic oath:

"First of all, make good music".

"How DARE you change the genre?", he says, as if this hasn't been done for decades in official arrange albums. What a maroon. :lol:

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02467 - Final Fantasy XI Online "Paradis"