OCR01413 - Tetris (GB) "Piano Concerto in A minor"

djpretzel

Whoa, this is some intelligent arrangement going on, which can't be said for some of the older mixes of the same theme. The first two minutes hint at the source tune, without just regurgitating it ad verbatim. Good orchestration of the tune throughout. Like what the piano does in the latter half of the mix. This one kept me more interested than Robson's previous works. Good stuff!

Beautiful, brilliant, truly a masterpiece. Jeremy has done such a marvelous work with the finest instruments orchestrals can give. The piano was great, like it was taken out of "Amadeus", or maybe "The pianist", they both have great piano. The strings fitted like a boot together with the rest of the arrangement, if Beethoven wasn´t deaf and dead, I would think this was one of his latter works, that ending was superb. This is a must for all philharmonic lovers out there. Spread out the word, Robson has done it again!

Hey! I was going to say that!

Finally, it's here!

I remembered this one from the WIP threads, and when I saw the yes, I was absolutely elated! Every day I visited OCR with the hopes that it would be posted.

I am a huge Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov fan (Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini = all time greatest piece), and I think this has emulated their romantic style with great finese.

Fantastic. Bloody fantastic.

Whoa.

Jeremy Robson has a knack for fine arrangement. I've listened to his music time and time again, always wondering where his ideas come from. Though I've found some of his instrumentations in the past to possess a bit of trouble, this is a masterful piece.

Hit the nail on the fucking head.

Listening to this, I feel like I should be walking into a 19th century opera house sipping fancy wine and speaking in an excessively-sophisticated European accent as I bullshit my way up the social ladder.

Musically, I liked the strings moreso than the piano. There's a distinct contrast between their sounds which really sticks out at certain moments. The strings seemed to move the piece along as the piano kept things grounded in the original.

Regardless, I love the arrangement. Very professional. You really captured the classical aspect of the source. Needless to say, I am once again blown away by an excellent performance by Jeremy Robson.

Bravissimo.

The audio seemed a bit muffled, as if it were an old recording from vinyl or cassette. It definitely helped give the mood that this was an old classical piece, but personally I would have preferred a little richer sound.

I would have liked hearing a little more string and less piano, as I thought the piano slowed the piece down while the strings sped it up. It felt as if it switched gears repeatedly throughout the song because of the alternating between strings and piano. However, despite my wishing for the strings to play again, I also wanted them to stay away: the samples used, while better than many used in remixes on this site, still weren't realistic enough. At least for me, having a good sounding string sample, as well as the ability to play it convincingly, makes or breaks the use of the strings. If it doesn't sound good or isn't played well, it's almost better to not use the strings at all than to use them poorly.

However, despite my complaints, I still saw that the remixer had designed a great remix. Because of my complaints, I don't plan on putting this one in my playlist, but I can fully understand others finding it worth the addition to their library.

085.jpg

Anybody else reminded of some of Schastakovich's stuff?

Especially the first 1/3 or so...

Maybe a little, but I think it was more Beethoven to me. The piece didn't explore anything that made me really cringe with dissonant disappointment. Shostakovich is interesting and spirited, but I like my chords to sound right. :) Actually, the piano part sounded more Beethoven, and the orchestration sounded more simple Rachmaninoff. I liked it! I agree with one of the above posters that the piano-only sections sorta killed the flow of the piece. Not even the fact that they were just slower, but the fact that the piece came GALLOPING into it and then SCREEECHing to new section.

But you know, screw it, I didn't come up with anything cool like this, so I'll take it and like it. Nice job.

And so I'm not left off the bandwagon:

nr.jpg OH NOES TEH NOODITIE!

I thought this song could have replaced that diamond commercial theme anyday. It has that same dramatic "appeal" I guess. Good orchestral work, it's some of the best I've heard. I thought the piano could have stuck out a little more in the background. It may be because I wear headphones when I listen to music, but the piano felt too close. Good work.

Korobeiniki theme

I can't remember if I ever heard those grace notes used elsewhere, because they give it a very Chassidic sound as opposed to Russian, especially when the clarinets play them. But yeah, this arrangement is entirely my own, especially considering the syncopation in bar 5 in the file above, which occurs throughout the entire piece in one form or another.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, very nice work. Oftentimes when playing the game I would pick this as the music over the typical theme. The speed and movement of the melody made for more of a frenetic play, especially once ya hit the higher levels and those pieces just kept getting faster, faster, faster...

I was impressed. Very nice pacing, and - as has been said - it definitely felt like a story amongst itself, and that's a very good thing. Excellent orchestration, good variety in balance as to who had the melody vs the accompaniment, and so on. And definitely a great original theme to apply this style too. Good work.

-Mazedude

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01413 - Tetris (GB) "Piano Concerto in A minor"