OCR01413 - Tetris (GB) "Piano Concerto in A minor"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After hearing this, I was like, I always sort of knew at the back of my head that Tetris Song B was meant for a concerto, or any orchestral arrangement for that matter. Well, that's exactly because this remix just owns! It pulls off perfectly as a classical orchestral piece! Now this definitely needs to make it into a concert hall someday...it's enough to make Mozart jealous! Hahahahaha!

• 3 years later...

This is something I'd love to hear live. :-P

It is kind of strange though to hear a Russian folk tune played by a classical orchestra. Still, this is good.

It's so beautifully arranged and orchestrated; the two themes blend so well together. Awesome stuff is going on here, and this is worth listening to.

• 4 months later...

This sounds like a master having a lot of fun with a good piece of music. Filled to tbe brim with some very effective ideas and intelligent exploration of different melodies. The arrangement side of this is absolutely top-notch, and just keeps hitting home runs one after the other, success after success.

However, as some have pointed out, each success exists within its own little section of music, so when streamlining it, things do sound slightly stilted. In no way does this sound like a bunch of ideas thrown together, but there is a noticeable stop-and-start mechanic that could have possibly been filed down. I can't decide if the piano was too close, or the strings were too distant. I think the strings may be a little too obscured.

Not flawless, but the flaws are at least easy to swallow, especially when the mix is this high-end. Good stuff.

• 5 months later...

When i heard the name I was thinking "oh, it's going to be the tetris theme song, but on a piano", and while it does include such a thing, the level of arrangement is such that it really feels like an entire new piece. The intro begins in a pretty liberal manner before getting to the specific apparent part that is so familiar to the original game boy owners. The orchestral backing was nice, and has a very classic sound to it, arrangement-wise. Nice work there, and a very nice arrangement overall. If this arrangement could get an actual orchestra behind it, we'd be well on our way to getting game music out and about into the world beyond it's current scope. I could even see this appearing on a Christmas album without much fuss.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01413 - Tetris (GB) "Piano Concerto in A minor"
  • 3 years later...

This is incredibly satisfying to listen to.  It’s nice to hear an orchestral ReMix explore several avenues of speed and complexity in it’s performance, and makes it almost as fun as more cinematic orchestral songs, but in a different way. Certainly a mix where the arrangement of the sources shines for me.