OCR01441 - *YES* Final Fantasy 10 'White Skies (Club Mix)'

djpretzel

Its been almost 2 years since ive submitted something to overclocked. White Skies on the trance album for PMM was considered my best remix to date (over a year ago) but ive definately grown since then musically (lots of new gear too).

Well ive shown darkesword and analoq this mix already and they said it will more than likely pass. The only real beef they had was the length. But this is a club mix with the standard dj friendly 32 bar intro/outro. I did my absolute best to keep things interesting in the progression of the track. Its constantly changing and evolving but as analoq/darkesword said, it looses energy in parts mainly because of the arrangement format its in. Hopefully this wont be a problem and wont detract from making a post on OC. I worked really hard on the mixdown and mastering as well, as this was carefully crafted in my home studio :)

I know people are waiting for this one. It was encoded at abr of 112 to fit 6 megs and the quality loss isnt that bad compared to high vbr. Thanks djp, and I hope you dig.

Best,

bLiNd

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - 405 "People of the Far North"

Pretty cool stuff. zircon and I were listening to it and both commenting on how we enjoyed it. I felt it was DP myself. No criticisms against the lengthy format. Some people dont' go for it, and I'm sure it'll drag for some, but I felt it was fine. I was actually more impressed that you managed to keep things sounding sounding clear and sharp with a 107kbps VBR encoding. Props on that, Jordan.

Melody kicked in at 1:12 for any fans out there that may feel inclined to fast-forward. Good genre adaptation along with some solid expansionist ideas, as well as some good original stuff at 2:07. The source melody took somewhat of a background seat to the added material, but was obviously the foundation of the track. Slick vox effects at 2:34.

Some genre-staple gated trance synth stuff came in at 3:14 for a new section that was prevented the first part from getting monotonous and offered up a new set of sounds for the arrangement. Things beefed up again with some bass action stuff at 4:39 that used the bridge from the original. Somewhat cluttered-sounding for me, especially from 6:02-6:28 but ultimately not an issue with how well I feel the production was handled. Works very well for the club. Nice arrangement ideas, and good development the whole way through. There are a lot of extended passages per se, but I didn't feel anything overstayed its welcome.

This arrangement concept was already well-presented for Project Majestic Mix: The Trance Album. This mix and the PMM version each do a great job of standing on their own, so I respect how you were able to give this version even more time along with the club treatment and not make the PMM version seem obsolete. Great to see you still in the game, and of course looking forward to your Bound Together/Earthbound mix.

YES

So a club mix of the Gagazet music. I had my doubts before I listened to the piece. The lengthy intro didn't really quench my doubts either. When the melody came in at 1:12 I wasn't too fond of the delayed sound the lead synth had. It's also quite subdued in the mix, it could have been a bit louder for me. As the beat builds in, the actual sound of the mix builds up to a much nicer level as we get some sweet key changes around the Gagazet theme.

The section at 2:40 is very sweet, with the stuttery high synth. Builds into the rest of the mix nicely from 3:14 with some sweet automated filtering. The strings that come in at 3:58 I feel could have been a little sharper and stronger in terms of the powerful sound the mix had here. Two-note chords could have worked a little better, but just a little gripe. The lead synth at 5:08 is just to die for. I never would have thought that a trance version of the piece could upstage the strings and bagpipe that played that melody in the original, but this does a wonderful job.

I agree with larry that taking the beat out of the mix from 6:02 left the rest of the mix sounding rather cluttered, but it's a transition between sections that ultimately could probably not have been avoided, and doesn't sound that bad anyway. The mix is taken out in true trance style with a generally downbuilding of each introduced element with a monotonous bassline and 4/4 beat playing with your traditional trance breakbeats.

Ronso very pleased with mix.

YES

REALLY cool track here, as I told bLiNd. This guy knows his craft. His production is top-notch, with a great variety of sounds, tight mixing, and good encoding to boot. Structurally, while some would say this is on the long side, I think it's excellent. It manages to have enough material to fill the whole length without being repetitive, and does a whole lot with the source, really building on it and giving it a unique spin. I love it.

YES

Some compositional sections of the mix sounded a bit basic for my tastes, but overall this was a job well done. Blind does a nice job in arranging the source material. I think the key strength of this mix is the execution of the ideas - good and accessible structure and pacing for this style of music. Production is very well done too. Everything is put together wonderfully. A quality mix in all areas, and deserving of postage. There's no reason to decline this. YES