The Dark Knight Rises - POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Ethan Rex

Why would you want to leave out Talia Al Ghul? :???: That was an important piece of the story.

I know it was, but I guess that's what I disliked about her. I would've preferred (spoiler?) just having Bane as a villain. When we find out who Miranda really is, it doesn't really have much weight or significance on anything anymore. I played Arkham City, in which Talia also plays a role, and I didn't care for her that time either. I don't really know why, maybe I just like the other characters so much better and Talia felt like forcefully injected into the script. Maybe it was that there were so many new characters and Miranda seemed to have the least interesting role at the end of the day.

And Bane was just so good as the ultimate warrior villain. Why try to humanize him at the very end of the movie by having him tear up? Felt unnecessary, but I know many might like it for that very reason.

Anne Hathaway nailed Catwoman in my opinion. I've never cared for Catwoman that much no matter which incarnation (Batman Returns, The Animated Series, Arkham City, etc.), but this was the one time I was always happy to see her on screen.

Agreed. I had trouble getting the whole "Princess Diaries" role out out my mind when someone would say 'Anne Hathaway," so I was a little worried. I was very impressed, and think she did an excellent job. It helped me to see her versatility as an actress.

Now on a more important note, please tell me someone else here caught that the music for the Superman trailer was either ripped from or an arrangement of the music from Gandalf's death in Fellowship of the Ring. I put that track on my ipod on the way home and I swear that was it. Go to 6:11 in this video:

I'm glad someone else noticed! I heard that and told my buddy sitting next to me, "Hey, that's the music from when Gandalf gets snagged off the bridge of Khazad Dume!"

Now on a more important note, please tell me someone else here caught that the music for the Superman trailer was either ripped from or an arrangement of the music from Gandalf's death in Fellowship of the Ring.
Yep, that was it. It's actually pretty common for movie trailers to use music from other movie scores, especially when the movie itself hasn't been scored yet. For instance, Two Towers and Return of the King used the theme from Requiem for a Dream.

Now on a more important note, please tell me someone else here caught that the music for the Superman trailer was either ripped from or an arrangement of the music from Gandalf's death in Fellowship of the Ring. I put that track on my ipod on the way home and I swear that was it. Go to 6:11 in this video:

The music nerd in me caught onto that immediately. I turned to my friend and asked "Dude, isn't that the 'Gandalf just died, but not really" theme?" Glad to see LotR music is so lasting, I guess.

On a separate note, did anyone feel that the Scarecrow scenes were almost an homage to the Burton style of Batman? I mean, I don't really feel like his comically tall desk with its flowing rolls of paper fit with the more serious theme of the movie. Add in the pristine white snow, and I almost expected to hear some Elfman music start playing.

SPOILERS

Was the ending up to interpretation or not? (hmm upon reading this over, indeed a stupid question) This was my take. Bruce Wayne is presumed "dead" but Alfred's dream came to fruition--he saw Bruce Wayne w/his wife (or gf or whatever) in Italy so Bruce would retire and live happily both to his and Alfred's content. Because Batman told Blake that "the mask is a symbol that means anyone can be Batman" and 'Robin' discovers the Batcave, he becomes the new Batman.

My bro's gf said "no idiot" and I said "deng that's harsh" then she continued "'Bruce Wayne is presumed dead but Batman is still alive. 'Robin' encounters the cave so Batman and Robin will join forces.

This is in all likelihood the last film in the series that Chris Nolan will direct, but hypothetically if there was, she insists her explanation is correct and "there's no way Joseph Gordon-Levitt is going to play a "new" Batman."

Really? "Batman and Robin will join forces"? That's ridiculous and inconsistent with the movie's universe.

There is no Robin. His name is a reference, he's not actually Robin, the side kick. He finds the Bat Cave so he will become Batman. As Bruce told him, the idea was that anyone could be Batman. The mask is to protect the people you love.

Your bro's gf should think about, you know, logic, before calling you an idiot.

no, because the idea was for you to think he WAS born in the pit

But Bain said he was "bornn en Darknes!"

I know this can mean a lot of things, but c'mon! I'm sure if I see it again, I could point to other moments where they pretty much lie to us, instead just ambiguously mislead us. At least that's the impression I'm coming away with right now.

Ugh. A lot of mixed feelings about this one. Can't tell if I'll accept it and like it, or just end up despising it.

A friend also pointed out how strange it was when they fled the stock market, it was still day, but literally like 5-10 minutes later, it was pitch black night when Batman showed up. We had the timer on the computer to prove it wasn't the world's longest police chase too.

It's things like this that just made it feel more sloppy and comic book-y than the other films. Which is fine, for a comic book film, except this film goes the extra mile to stay grounded in some sort of plausible realism, until it decides it flippantly doesn't, which the first two films rarely did (for the most part).

But Bain said he was "bornn en Darknes!"

I know this can mean a lot of things, but c'mon! I'm sure if I see it again, I could point to other moments where they pretty much lie to us, instead just ambiguously mislead us. At least that's the impression I'm coming away with right now.

They, as in the filmmakers, or he, as in Bane? Are you really mad at the bad guy for lying to you? He's the bad guy. Of course he lied about him being born in the Lazarus Pit. Everyone thought he was the child from the Lazarus Pit because that's the myth he himself perpetuated.

Are you angry that he, the villain of the story, wasn't honest with you, the audience? That he didn't spoil the misdirection at the very start? Don't be ridiculous.

They, as in the filmmakers, or he, as in Bane? Are you really mad at the bad guy for lying to you? He's the bad guy. Of course he lied about him being born in the Lazarus Pit. Everyone thought he was the child from the Lazarus Pit because that's the myth he himself perpetuated.

Are you angry that he, the villain of the story, wasn't honest with you, the audience? That he didn't spoil the misdirection at the very start? Don't be ridiculous.

That was the Lazarus Pit?

That was the Lazarus Pit?

yeah, that was my reaction too.

I guess Bane was born in a different prison where he and his teddy bear protector (the one who hid the knife) gained power and control.

Maybe there just happens to be an auxiliary spa next-door to the holding cells and the public rock climbing wall in this prison?

I interpreted it as, yes, he was "born in darkness", he just wasn't the child we were led to believe. From his Caribbean accent, and the fact that he claimed to be born in darkness, I assumed that Bane's origin was roughly the same as in the comics, but somewhere along the way he was moved from Pena Dura to the Lazarus Pit. It also makes his motivation for protecting Talia clearer. Seeing another child born in a prison like he was, and seeing something kindred in her to protect. But a lot of that is interpretation and extrapolation on my part.

The prison in the movie was only referred to, metaphorically, as a pit. I have no idea why everyone's saying it's a/the Lazarus Pit.

Because it's Nolan's version of the Lazarus Pit. Nolan's Batman universe doesn't contain any elements of the supernatural (like Ra's constant resurrections), so he takes the concept of the Lazarus Pit, which has always been associated with Ra's al Ghul, and spins it into something more real. The movie never calls it the Lazarus Pit, but when you have a knowledge of Batman lore, it makes perfect sense.