Planet Wisp House Remix - Sonic Colors (Wii) - Plasma3Music and Pl511

Pl511

stats.png

This is a little different from some of my other remixes, but I've spent the last four days working with Plasma3Music on this and we're both pretty happy with the result. As well as using Planet Wisp from Sonic Colors, we also made reference to the Green Hill Zone theme and 'His World' from Sonic '06. Hope you guys enjoy it! :D

Oh boy a new mix featuring PI511 on piano... this is gonna be good... *listening* yes it it! I love this soooo much!!! My only crit is that I think the piano could be a tad brighter, it seems to be just a tiny bit too dull for how awesome the writing is. It blends in quite well... too well? I wonder if anyone else agrees or is it just me? Otherwise it is produced beautifully. I enjoyed it! Nice work guys.

@chimpzilla: Thanks! :D I sort of know what you mean about the feel of the piano. The soundfont used is still being a bit tetchy, but we managed to get round this slightly by making the arrangement itself more interesting and varied, as well as applying a fair amount of reverb to it. The dullness probably came from the amount of variation I got when recording the multiple parts of each of the solos. Because of this I had to equalise a lot of the different recordings, and because of that the differences in velocities and some of the feel of the piano itself was lost. Anyway, I'm glad you liked it!

The main aim of this remix was to test how unique and different we could make the original feel while still conveying each of our styles into the mix, and I think we succeeded. Does anyone have anything that could cause this to fail as a submission?

I was about halfway through the song and I was going to say that this just sounded like a rather conservative (albeit in a house/trance style) cover of the Planet Wisp Act 1 source. Luckily the second half you opened things up a bit with some variation in the piano part and that Green Hill cameo on the strings (well done).

I would agree that the piano definitely needs some additional work. It currently sounds a bit muddy, like it could be EQed a bit better (particularly to get those higher frequencies to pop). I think an overall 'brighter' sound would work wonders for it. The piano writing in the second half is great, so I think it really deserves to shine.

The ending is a little weak and anti-climactic too, in my opinion.

Overall, pretty cool song though, I like it. I hope you can fix it up for submission.

• 2 months later...

I love this mix. Planet Wisp is one of my favourite tracks from Sonic Colours. You have good production values, its original, and very catchy. A few things could do with brightening (mainly the piano as stated, but the overall mix might benefit from a little brightening).

If you implement those changes, you'll have a stellar track on your hand. Going to play the track again...