Is my original XBox about to die?

The Coop

A few months ago, I got a new XBox game, fired it up, and played for a bit. Things seemed reasonably fine at the time, though I did notice a bit of stuttering. However, I recently got myself another game, only now, I'm having all sorts of constant problems. Things like...

- It takes a good 40-60 seconds to get from the XBox boot up logo, to the menu screen for managing memory, music, and what have you.

- It takes about a minute to bring up all my game saves in the memory manager.

- The background audio stutters and repeats constantly like a glitchy loop on the menu screens, and none of the animations are smooth anymore. They're jerky, and show maybe one frame of some kind of animation change before it suddenly jumps to the next screen.

- Games take a good minute or more before they come up after popping them in.

- Loading simple things like save menus in a game takes 20-30 seconds (in Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, it takes a minute just to bring up the pause menu).

None of these kinds of things took so long before. Basically, is my XBox's hard drive about to die? Is the CPU about fried? This started up seemingly out of nowhere yesterday, and it seems to be a bit worse today, so I'd appreciate some feedback.