djpretzel

Hey Llizoyd!

Remixer Name: Darangen

Email: darangen@hotmail.com

Game Remixed: Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Song Remixed: Gerudo Valley

Link:

Comments:

This is a lyrical remix of Gerudo Valley. I made it for RPGamer.com's Splendid Performance competition, round 4. I know the judges haven't been fans of my lyrical remixes in the past, but I believe my vocal work has improved at least somewhat since my last vocal submission, so hopefully I'll either get acceptance or some new, helpful comments. For clarity, here are the lyrics:

looking back on all we've been through

what is left, what else could we do?

we've been down this road so many times before

will i ever learn the way.. to come back to you

this ardency has taken me

and now it is a part of me

I'm falling back to where I used to be..

this hearts debut is overdue

now i can see, i know it's true

I'm falling back.. yeah falling back to you..

i can see you from a million miles away

things weren't always the way they are today

if only i could learn to change the past

if only things could last... another day

this ardency has taken me

and now it is a part of me

I'm falling back to where I used to be..

this hearts debut is overdue

now i can see, i know it's true

I'm falling back.. yeah falling back to you..

Hope you all enjoy

-Darangen

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 68 "Gerudo Valley"

Yeah, I remember hearing this as part of Splendid Performance: With a Voice. Played it on VGF65 for the peeps to enjoy. I just listened to it again to make sure nothing had been changed.

Great stuff. Mike's vocals are my main gripe, as they sound thin and a bit beginner-ish. With more practice, but more importantly time, Mike's voice will continue to be stronger. Plus, on multiple listens, the delivery style sits a lot a better in the track. I could have gone for some richer harmonies, but the harmonization here sounded pretty nice. I liked the tone when the chorus's hit, and the lyrics were really catchy. A lot of people are gonna be singing 'em.

I thought the track could have sounded sharper, but I loved the arrangement here and the production was alright. The "Gerudo Valley" theme was skillfully woven with original material that pieced together very naturally. Great rock conversion with some genuine (even if unintended) pop overtones. Makes a solid follow-up to other mixes of the theme, like Dan B's & chthonic's.

The way the track cut out after the warbly effects was a too sudden, but other than that, I had no other issues. Hot stuff and a nice follow-up to the vocal potential that Final Fantasy 6 "Deadly Promises" only hinted at. Keep 'em coming, bro!

YES

Wicked Guitar to start with. We quickly get into the grunge of the mix with some pretty crisp sounding drumwork, good rhythm guitar, bass is good. The drums programming consists of basic rock patterns but they work well.

The vocals in this are in tune which passes the first test. The transition from note to note in the vocals are a little questionable, though it's not that bad (just a little gripe.) I also think the vocals could have used some more creative vocal effects over them in sections to give them a less dry sound. ie: running them through some filters and EQ'ing. I'm getting some clipping on the vocal effects at the very end of the piece, though it's nothing major.

The Gerudo Valley theme was utilised well in the mix, with the vocals taking care of the majority of the main melody themselves.

Not much else to say, this passes all the tests with flying colours. While I'm personally not fond of the poprock sound it has, I have no gripes with the way it's been utilised here.

Nice work.

YES

the guitar intro is terrible. weak sound and very sloppy. it sounds especially bad compared to the rest of the song, which sounds significantly better.

The rest of the song is very solid. The vocals are cool with me, the arrangement is simple but solid.

this is perfectly acceptable pop-rock or "adult contemporary", or whatever the crap they call it.

NO

for the love of god get rid of or fix the intro.

• 2 weeks later...

good arrangement, nice production, but what makes this for me is the guitar work. The supporting work is stellar. The intro on the other hand, I have to agree with Vig on, I felt it sounded cheap and out of place. However, that is one flaw, big as it is, is something I am willing to ignore and let the artist be true to his artistic vision - much to my chagrin though. ;)

Good work overall, and certainly passable. YES