Tutorial: How to make sounds wider and fuller

Hey OCR! Was bored today so I made a tutorial on how to make sounds wider and fuller in Logic Pro (although you can apply the same principles to other plugins in other DAWs!)

It's a pretty basic idea but it's very effective. Experiment with not only instruments, but synths, and maybe percussion too. Have fun, enjoy!

Cheers,

~Syllix

Thanks for the tutorial, i'm always hunting for any information i can find and watching someone else work with their daw always helps with ideas.

Just about the video, I would have liked to hear that original harp in the mix at the start, then go through the layering, then inserted back into the mix. Just to get a little perspective on when to layer and why you chose to do it.

Hey OCR! Was bored today so I made a tutorial on how to make sounds wider and fuller in Logic Pro (although you can apply the same principles to other plugins in other DAWs!)

It's a pretty basic idea but it's very effective. Experiment with not only instruments, but synths, and maybe percussion too. Have fun, enjoy!

Cheers,

~Syllix

posting in here so I can refer to this later. I'm a Logic Pro user too so props for that.

These look like tricks that I used to use for my MIDI compositions, back in the day. The way you presented it was clean and effective - nice work on that. One other trick to widening the sound is to offset the additional instruments by varying amounts, pending on how wet you want the custom reverb to sound (varying from 1/32 to 1/8 per added track). The different strike times make for a richer sound.

Try it out.

yeah gario has a good point - I kept the tutorial simple because i was having trouble explaining so many extra things i wanted to talk about, and didnt want to go over 15 minutes.

Some other tips here, like gario said, is to humanize the notes for each track, so that all 3 tracks are not striking at the exact same time - if your DAW has a humanize function, to move things ever so slightly off the beat, or you can do it manually (i do both).

also, for the left and right panned tracks, trying putting some subtle effects on the higher frequencies, like bitcrushing on one side, and maybe a custom filter on the other or some distortion. that will end up giving you a more unique and fuller sound :)

once i get better at talking into a mic without screwing up a thousand times and taking all day to record an 8 minute video, hopefully i can include all of these extra tidbits to go along with whatever im trying to teach :)