Independant Musicians - Flattr.com "social microdonations" - what's your opinion?

Anorax

I actually came across Flattr today- through soundcloud, by chance. huh.

When I first saw it, without clicking on the link I was thinking "Tumblr spin-off".

flattr-logo-300x102.png

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the link.

As it turns out, Flattr is some kind of "social microdonation" system. Kind of like "facebook likes", but there's some kind of counting system.

From what I understand, Flattr counts up all of your Flattr button clicks, then at the end of each month, it divides up your donation allowance you gave your account (which is about 5 euros or something), and gives an equal amount to each Flattr source you clicked on.

I think it's kind of cool, having a way to support the things you like (including musicians) in a small way that can build up over time, and isn't as obtrusive as something like adf.ly

What it's NOT: one of those URL shorteners

I guess what I'm trying to say is check Flattr out and tell me what your opinion is on this

EDIT: OCR need a Flattr button. I would totally click that

This seems pretty cool. I like anything that encourages the fact that people who do creative things should be able to get paid for it. I've seen so many people get so vitriolic at the idea of that sort of thing, I just don't get it. :\

I know. It's a bit ridiculous why they get upset. It's like they think that because it's the internet, it should be free. Even hard work like music should be free (no!).

This is a good way to give creative people funds as a reward.

Oh, Chthonic, I've already done flattred you lol. So unless I find more stuff to flattr, you'll get like, 2 euros or something