OCR02671 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Depths of Maridia'

Liontamer

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: CrimzonWolf777

User ID on Forums: 24939

Submission Info:

Game: Super Metroid

Song Title: Depths of Maridia

Songs Used: 'Brinstar - Red Soil Wetland Area', 'Maridia - Rocky Underground Water Area'

Comment: So I've been really scared to attempt to submit ANYTHING to OCRemix because I still feel like I'm not good enough. But because someone screamed at me telling me to just do it, here it is. I've remixed alot of game songs, and this one is my 1st submission. What made me put these two songs together was when I was playing Super Metroid and I was humming part of the Maridia area when I was in Brinstar. So I had to do it. I really hope everyone enjoys this song! ( ^_^ )v

On the production side, the string articulations was pretty solid, and everything was mixed nicely. The soundscape was filled out well, and I liked the background string padding in particular.

Not an innovative arrangement, and it can seem overlong and repetitive, but I felt it flowed and evolved fine for a purposefully chill approach. While there were some original writing ideas in the background, it took until around 5:56 to hear any good original foreground writing combined with the source material. That said, despite being straightforward in handling the structure of the source tunes, the mood and instrumentation here helped add the interpretation factor we're looking for.

IMO, a solid arrangement here by Damon that gets the job done.

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm with Larry, but just a little bit more reserved. It's true that this is a pretty straightforward, conservative take that doesn't necessarily tread any new ground that we haven't already heard, but I have to commend you on the very well-conceived, well-sequenced, and well-produced mix here.

To be honest, I truly enjoyed listening to this piece just in a bubble, but it took me a few listens to pick out all of the little nuances that you added to the melody to help personalize it and bring it up to OCR's bar... however, they definitely add up in your favor, and I think at the end of the day this is a great example of a well-executed conservative remix that people will enjoy.

YES

I'm with Larry, but I'm just a little less reserved than Wes is here :P

I will agree that there are times when things are fairly conservative, but there are also a lot of harmonic changes that add a lot of new flavor to the mix. I think that along with the overall chill atmosphere that is a change from the originals makes this a clear yes. It's a tad long, but forgivable, and I felt comfortable listening to all of it without feeling too much like things were getting repetitive.

YES

• 2 weeks later...