Chrono Trigger - '600AD'

ellywu2

Wow! Absolutely stunning! It always warms my heart when someone makes a good dubstep mix while avoiding sounding awfully generic. :-)

I suggest to smooth out the transition between the flute/xylophone and the chiptune synth at 0:16. Although both parts are nice, the switch from the natural sounds to the fake is too rough. Maybe throw in an extra bar there, where you hint at the upcoming chippy-ness.

Also, like Dan mentioned, the kick and snare need just a bit more presence.

The roll at the end could use a slightly different snare, and some (more?) humanization at that.

Overall, it's very unique while not too obscure-sounding. I'm definitely looking forward to more of this. 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Really interesting and original arrangement. I love the progression from winds/xylo to chiptune to dubstep. The ideas are all there, and the execution on the dubstep section is really great.

Areas to work on would be the wind section over all... I'm not sold on the samples, though maybe you could finesse them in the mix. The staccato articulation also sounds a little abrupt (I know... thank you "Captain Obvious").

The chiptune section is pretty cool. I'd just keep it down a bit for contrast, so that you can do a bigger ramp up into the dubstep section; let it come in huge and really blow us away.

Definitely keep going with this. Was a pleasure to listen to so far.